Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Sill protector on new auris

John.gross

just picked up new Auris Hybrid, there is a plastic trim fitted under door sill, this is a mud trap, can I remove it and not fit it back 

Moved to the Auris club.

If, as you describe, it is a sill protector then presumably it is there to prevent damage. I would leave it in place as removal may affect either the paintwork or corrosion parts of your new car warranty. A good hose down when the car is washed should keep the area clean.

12 hours ago, John.gross said:

just picked up new Auris Hybrid, there is a plastic trim fitted under door sill, this is a mud trap, can I remove it and not fit it back 

Hi John, welcome to TOC :smile:

A picture is worth a 1000 words ..... 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Is the thing you’re describing like in my picture? Because I came here to ask the same thing! Bought a 2015 Auris Hybrid and have been wondering what this is and whether the orange tint might be a sign of rust... 

FE4305EB-F1E1-4A55-AB30-C670A724A954.jpeg

1 hour ago, Rumdogrees said:

Is the thing you’re describing like in my picture? Because I came here to ask the same thing! Bought a 2015 Auris Hybrid and have been wondering what this is and whether the orange tint might be a sign of rust... 

Presume that is on the rear wheel arch. It is probably a stone chip protection film, which are common fitments to numbers of cars, not just Toyotas. Depending on the manufacturer/car, they often sit lower down by the sill. Looks like yours has suffered a bit of abuse and the orange tint is probably just dirt.

Of the 21 new cars we've had, the majority have had a similar film on the rear wheelarch/sill/rear door opening.

Yeah it is on the rear door opening, a clearer picture below. Thanks, it was puzzling me and I wasn’t sure if it was worth removing to get at the dirt underneath but based on this thread I’ll leave it there! 

58C4745B-14BF-4F90-B8AC-F9389A57931B.jpeg

That looks like staining rather than rust and the protector itself is there to prevent chips or paintwear. A car I had years ago (can't remember exactly what it was) showed signs of paint wear due to the rear door closing and leaving the wheel arch exposed exactly where your picture shows. I would suggest if you remove it that you replace it to protect your paintwork.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links