Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2007 Aygo - Front Door Won't Lock

Arus

Hey everyone!

I just got home from buying an Aygo to accompany my Celica!
As I parked up at home, I found a problem...   The front driver's door will not lock (5dr car). The keyfob works, and triggers all other doors. The key itself does not turn in the lock, at all...

When inside, dropping the lock pin triggers the central locking and locks the door. Lifting the pin unlocks it.

Can anyone help me figure out where to start?

Thanks!!

It could be that the locks frozen? Squirt some de-icer into it. My Aygo did something similar only a few weeks ago during a cold snap, but the central locking wouldn't work either. I sprayed into the keyway and left it for several minutes. That did the trick. It's worth a try anyway.

Hi. I notice you are new to the club, it would be nice if you could give us a little feedback when you find out the cause of the problem and how it was rectified.

4 minutes ago, paulie b said:

Hi. I notice you are new to the club, it would be nice if you could give us a little feedback when you find out the cause of the problem and how it was rectified.

Sure will do!
I've just squirted some WD40 into it. Hopefully that should help.
Temperatures are no longer freezing here so I would expect that if it were ice related, that should have released.
I am slightly worried that the previous owner swapped the door or something. The fact that the key doesn't turn at all is very odd.

At the moment I am locking it from the rear driver side door!

Thanks

Hey, 

Unfortunately not yet. I am hoping to have a look today if it doesn't rain too much. I was working over the weekend so haven't yet had a chance! 

• 2 weeks later...

Did you get to the bottom of the fault? If so, what was it?

Hey,

Not yet.
Because of the ****show that is my Aygo I have returned it to the trade dealer with the demand that all of the issues be fixed.
I am hoping to find out when I get it back.
Logically it seems that both the lock barrel had seized and the lock actuator had failed. 

I bought the car from an RAC Dealer as I have always had issues with privately bought cars.
I was told that all of their cars go through a full RAC check before they are sold.

Here are the issues:

• Front Driver Door does not lock
    • Key will not turn in lock
    • Key button will not lock/unlock door, but will the rest
    • Moving the lock pin on the door will lock/unlock all doors
  • Exhaust Back Box dropped - Rubber mount perished
  • Side lights - Half LED clusters are dead
  • Rear wiper does not clear screen
  • No parcel shelf (Assume it was missing when they got it)
  • Fuel cap is broken
  • Tyre Pressure
    • 44psi Max
      • LR: 15psi
      • LF: 21psi
      • RF: 21psi
      • RR: 17psi
  • No Aerial (Not an issue, I was planning to replace anyway)
  • Oil Level: No oil on Dipstick. Had to refill from empty

All of those issues were recorded within 5 days of owning the car.
I was told that the car went through a service. I only checked the oil level for the hell of it when I was filling the screen wash.
I did almost 80 miles with no oil! After filling the oil, it felt like a new car!

An MOT was done the day before I collected it and it passed with NO ADVISORIES. What an absolute lie!!!!!!!

I would have been more thorough if I were buying private. I should not have had these issues with an RAC Dealership!!!

I am hoping to have the car back tomorrow. They have had it since Thursday 8th!

Ouch! The oil situation sounds particularly gruesome. I'm surprised the engine didn't seize.

I know I don't have to tell you but just make sure you carefully inspect the vehicle to ensure all faults have been rectified when you go to collect it.

Let us know how you get on.

Hi,

I had the same problem of doorlock on another version, a 2013 3-door Aygo. On French boards, this issue is frequent, with the lock of the trunk as well.

I had no remote key. One day, the lock became hard to use. And soon after, it got completely jammed. It was impossible to turn the key and open the door. I was forced to get into it by the passenger side, which I did for months ^^

The dealer made me a quotation of 140£ to replace the part and fix it. That was too expensive so I left it that way.

Then I crashed. When I gave the car to the autobody mechanic, I warned him about the doorlock. When I got my car repaired, he told me he had repaired the doorlock :)

In my home, I sometimes use the graphite from a pencil. I sharpen the pencil, collect a small amount of graphite, and I put it inside the keyhole. Graphite is awesome to lubricate mechanics.

Update from Dealer:

Lock barrel repaired and working.
Actuator replaced - Still not working.

He thinks there may be a broken wire somewhere. He is taking it for an electrician to investigate tomorrow.

Considering how much of my time they have wasted, I am actually enjoying how much of their time this is wasting.
This'll teach them to inspect a car before selling it!!

I'm just lucky that my Celica is behaving for the time being!

• 2 weeks later...

So....
Picked up the car and the door now works.
Apparently the issue was caused by a 3rd party alarm system, which has now been deactivated.

Then on the way home the airbag warning light came on and started flashing.
Took a look under the passenger seat to look at the cable to see that it is unplugged.
The other end has been cut off and the wired tied together...

What the hell is this car!?!?!?

Does that cable purely control the seat airbag? 

IMG_20180402_191144.jpg

What year is your Aygo? How many miles are on the clock? Not related to your above post as I have no idea what that connector does but I wouldn't be happy with it being left like that. Thing is did the dealer do it or was it done by the previous owner? If so, should have been picked up on the PDI (which you now know probably didn't happen). 

It's an 07 red with 126k on the clock. 

The cable was likely done by the previous owner, and the dealer is RAC accredited, so I would have expected the car to not be a total wreck! 

There are three avenues you can use to help resolve the issues:

1). As it is an RAC approved dealer, you can use the conciliation part of the RAC used vehicle code of practice - see https://www.rac.co.uk/buying-a-car/rac-approved-dealers

2). Raise a complaint with the Motor Ombudsman - https://www.themotorombudsman.org

3). Take action under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 - https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act