Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Horn not working from time to time

yrn11

Hi,

I own a toyota auris hybrid 2012 and the horn sometimes doesn't work, the local dealer said it's related to the spiral cable, I saw toyota has a recall for exactly this issue but my car is not participating in this recall.

I've tried getting the manufacture email but without success.

did anyone encounter this issue? how can i tell the relevant part number if i want to order it from eBay?

Just had a similar problem on mine toyota wanted £82 to look I took centre of steering wheel of and cleaned around underneath and all working again fingers crossed

does it still work for you?

On 3/7/2018 at 10:45 PM, Grandprix said:

Just had a similar problem on mine toyota wanted £82 to look I took centre of steering wheel of and cleaned around underneath and all working again fingers crossed

Had similar problem, not with horn, but with AC knob, it was one of those that go in a loop,  sometimes it would do nothing even if you turn it for 5 degrees, it goes only up for 3 for example.

Problem was there is some grease on the contacts that prevents against patina creation, and i guess general wear/oxidation.

It did not look that bad in my case, but was a bit dirty. Removing the grease solved the issue. I guess you can replace, but you would need to check for the correct one.

2 hours ago, yrn11 said:

does it still work for you?

Yes it's still working fine

• 6 months later...
On 3/7/2018 at 8:45 PM, Grandprix said:

Hi Grandprix,

Can you tell me how you took off the centre airbag housing/horn push please or where did you find the information? Did you have to disconnect the Battery and take precautions not to trigger the air bag? Thank you.

Disconnect the Battery for 15 minutes, then the airbag wont get triggered.

• Like 1

On 10/2/2018 at 9:29 AM, furtula said:

Disconnect the battery for 15 minutes, then the airbag wont get triggered.

Thanks Dean.

I had a look at the horn itself on our facelift 2013 Auris, I was thinking of changing it for a louder one.

On this one there was enough superficial corrosion on the horn mount (which is also it's earth; there is only one wire attached to it), for me to 'grease it up' so as to stop a future poor connection problem.

After disconnecting the power wire I noticed that the horn operates from a relay underneath the N/S underbonnet fuse box; you can't see the relay, but you can hear/feel it operating.

So, just a thought, is it worth disconnecting your horn at the horn itself, you can then check for any intermittant operation by listening for the relay clicking without waking up the neighbours. If the relay clicks reliably then the clock spring may be ok?  At the same time you could check for bad connections to the horn itself, which is in a rather exposed position.

Having written that, If there a service bulletin for the clock spring, then in all probabilty it is the spring.

• 1 month later...

I also have this stupid problem with horn, I have to pres 5 times to make it work.

I want to try to repair that.

As I understand I have to disconnect Accu first, what is next, how can I disassemble horn?

Regards.