Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hybrid Newbie

Flandaddy

Greetings!  I have just purchased a 64 reg Auris and have a couple of questions.  I hope this is the right place to ask.

When I'm driving around town, 30 mph or under, how often should I expect to be in full EV mode?  It doesn't seem to kick in as frequently as I expected.  

The tyre pressure light is permanently on, but it has been since it left the Toyota dealer.  If the pressure is correct, how do I turn off the warning light?

Thank you in advance!

Dan

Moved to the Auris club.

Hi Dan (flandaddy), welcome to the forum.

Re driving in town on EV. First of all the Battery has to be well charged up, I am finding 3 bars or less and its a no go what ever you do.

Once the engine is warmed up, when in "town" a light throttle should put the car in EV mode - your mpg reading should be at max ie 100mpg.

If you have good Battery charge you can press the EV button and it will go into electric mode but only as long as the Battery charge is good enough and also as long as you are light footed and dont exceed a mph criteria - my Auris Hybrid tends to be about 28mph, above that speed or sharp acceleration and the engine kicks in. 

Another way is to "force" the car into EV mode. Do this by getting to the speed you want too (say 30mph) then lift you right foot off accelerator pedal for say 2 secs and then gently press the accelerator pedal and you should glide along in EV mode - until the battery drops below 3 or 2 bars, or you accelerate too hard. Doing this last method I can "force" EV mode at speeds of say 35-40 but I have to be be very gentle on the accelerator.   

What I dont do is hold traffic up trying to eek out better fuel consumption. 

ps you may want to amend your profile to show you have an Auris Hybrid (HEV), not just an Auris. You may ask a question some time in the future and it may not be so obvious you talking about a Hybrid Auris as opposed to a petrol/diesel Auris. If you had a Prius this would not be a moot point as all Prius are Hybrids (albeit some now are plug-in as well as hybrid ie PHEV))

Cant help you with the tyre pressure monitor system - seems to be a bit of a nusance.

Hi dan, great choice of car. The Hybrid will not kick in as much in colder weather but you should see an improvement as the outside temperature increases. With regards to the tyre pressures I had the same problem but put it down to a faulty tyre pressure gauge which was giving an incorrect pressure reading. Have you checked your tyres pressures then reset the tpms button which is on the side of the glove box when open . Can be hard to find at first but refer to your manual for guidance. If all else fails take back to dealer