Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Parking / proximity sensors - are they disable-able?

IconTech

Picked up my new Yaris Icon Tech a few weeks ago - my third Yaris and I love it; big step up from the icon I had before. 

However, one thing is driving me insane - the front parking/proximity sensors. I park front on to a fence so the first thing the car does in the morning is scream at me. In a traffic jam, if there is an overhanging bush or a cyclist squeezing past, the car screams at me. And so on. There is a little button to press to stop the screaming once it starts but I would like them disabled so that the screaming does not start. I've coped for 20 years without them and don't need them. It's really taking the shine off what is otherwise a great new car. 

Dealer says they come as standard and can't be permanently switched off. Can't really see this being true. 

Any ideas? 

Yes I've been through the manual...nothing. 

I feel like the solution I'm looking for is going to be more of a 'remove this wire' or 'unplug this' type of thing. I'll try anything to be honest! 

15 minutes ago, Jonmartin said:

That is for the US version of the Yaris, which may differ from the European version.

If you wish to download the full owners manual for the UK Yaris, that can be done from My Toyota - https://www.toyota.co.uk/tme#/my-toyota/eManual

11 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

That is for the US version of the Yaris, which may differ from the European version.

If you wish to download the full owners manual for the UK Yaris, that can be done from My Toyota - https://www.toyota.co.uk/tme#/my-toyota/eManual

Oops, so it is, sorry.

The cancellation switch only silences the rear, that I've seen.

Maybe you can just disconnect the sensors?

Mine doesn't have rear sensors, just the camera, which is great. 

That's the solution I'm looking for...how to disconnect the sensors. 

Have a look under the bonnet and see if you can see anything coming from the bumper?

Were they factory fitted or after-market?

Factory - it's only 3 weeks old. 

29 minutes ago, IconTech said:

Factory - it's only 3 weeks old. 

If that is the case, any fiddling could affect your warranty. I would check with your dealer. Although, perhaps if there is a fuse for the sensors, removing it would hardly be permanent.

That's what I thought but I've looked at loads of diagrams and I can't see a fuse allocated. 

I'm just going to have to put up with it and reverse park every time, aren't I? 

1 hour ago, IconTech said:

Mine doesn't have rear sensors, just the camera, which is great. 

I presume you haven't driven it on a wet road yet. Absolutely useless after a few miles, although I can't suggest a solution.

• Haha 1

Hi, you can take a tapping off rear screen wash jet and run a tube to a generic washer jet fitted to aim at the camera lens. 

We recently had a Fiat500 and if you drove away without your seatbelt fastened, the car squealed at you.  It was an awful squealing screeching.  We have a long drive - 100yds - and have to open the gate to get out.  I don't see why I had to fit a seatbelt to go down our drive to the gate!   Our Yaris alarms, but it's a nice alarm and not intrusive.  The Fiat made your head rattle is was so bad.

I joined the Fiat Forum and asked about how to cut the wires to the seatbelt clips. I was given short shrift about this. Something about upsetting the airbag and pre-tensioners.  I found the wires and I disconnected them.  As far as I could tell from the wirings, all those wires did was to tell the car that the seatbelt was fastened.  Basically, when the belt clip wasn't in, it made the circuit to the warning screech.  By disconnecting, it thought that the belt was buckled.

I left it like that for a few weeks, then I found that I could get a copy of MultiECUscan and connect up to the car and actually switch off the warning.  I did this, and reconnected the wires.  When we sold the car, I re-programmed it to sound the alarm again.

So ................................ I reckon there must be a programme you can connect to the OBD in a Yaris to turn off this proximity alarm.  All a car is, is a computer with an engine and wheels.  Computers can be programmed, so I don't believe that you can't turn it off via software.

Mick.

The Yaris Icon Tech is just an Icon from factory however at "Port of entry" depot to make it an Icon Tech someone fits navigation and front parking sensors.

Here are the installation instructions: https://www.toyota-tech.eu/aimuploads/84253af7-f417-461a-b2a6-d91a2bfb52e4/Yaris_RHD_Tpa_Front_PW5010D110_AIM0039693.pdf

We have a 2016 Yaris HSD Excel and it has a switch to turn off front parking sensors audible. It’s to the right of the heater controls, it’s the switch with red on it to indicate on/off. Maybe it’s been removed on latest models. Hope the picture works!

E0B15070-0994-4024-8B42-B53E6C1D7261.thumb.jpeg.6a3d0e5da41a558867b7ea29c71b3abd.jpege

I have that switch, but it only turns off the screaming once it has started. 

Looks like I need a dry day to work backwards through those instructions! 

I thought the switch did turn sensors off so they didn’t give audible warning, I’ll try out next time I’m in car.

Having looked more closely at the photo, yours is a switch that stays switched; mine is a push button that works once only to silence the current screaming. You have to push it each time the alarm goes to silence it. Annoying that it clearly used to be possible! 

Maybe you could buy a switch similar to the one on my car from Toyota and fit it in the place of the push button. I guess the normal caution about modifications and warranty will apply or maybe get the dealer to do the work.

Don't cut the cable(s) you'll end up with a permanent fault message. Try putting tape over the sensor. They don't work if they're dirty. Or replace the Push Button with an earlier model On/Off switch. It just pulls out, you might have to adapt the wiring though.

Devon Aygo Hi, Do you have a link for fitting a Sat Nav module to a MY16 RHD Yaris with Touch2 (no Go) 

1 hour ago, Bomber209 said:

Devon Aygo Hi, Do you have a link for fitting a Sat Nav module to a MY16 RHD Yaris with Touch2 (no Go) 

https://www.toyota-tech.eu/aimuploads/1376d890-2ece-42bc-ab1c-a0bff88feefa/Yaris_RHD_Toyota_Touch_2_with_Go_PZ490_0033x_00_AIM_003_207_3.pdf

Heidfirst Hi, Thanks for the info. Now to obtain kit. :biggrin:

• 3 months later...

If you have a push button try holding it in it should beep twice to turn off the sensors

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links