Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Parking / proximity sensors - are they disable-able?

IconTech

Hi,

Bought a new Auris Hybrid to replace a 4 year old model. You could switch off the parking/proximity sensors on the old one, but not on the new one. Went to the dealer..can't disable them..but I could.... taped a 20 centime piece across each sensor..cost me nearly a euro, but I can manoeuvre in peace and quiet.! Shame that I spent 30,000€ on a car that I had to use sticky tape to make it do what I wanted

Depends on what specification you have:

Lower/Mid spec would have had dealer/local market fit sensors, which do not integrate with the multi fiction display & sat nav, if genuine Toyota accessories then the front will have a push switch on the dash marked "P" the genuine rears had an optional switch fitted in the boot see:

https://www.toyota-tech.eu/aimuploads/6b4496be-b514-4297-9464-1186d107d375/TPAfrontAurisLHD_PW501-05100_AIM003500-4_06DE4047D.pdf

https://www.toyota-tech.eu/aimuploads/6e4c3664-4263-40c0-83fe-b9c0daa5d2bc/TPA_Rear_AurisLHD_PW501-05001_AIM004369-1_06DE4046E.pdf

High spec models have factory integrated sensors which display images on both the MFD and Nav screen these are switched on/off on the settings menu of the MFD using the steering wheel buttons

Used to drive me nuts on my Icon Tec if i remember righty their was a button really far down under the steering wheel near the foot pedals which turned it on and off?, Yaris i have now only has a rear camera so can't double check for you, it took some finding out and afterwards i though what a silly place to put it must be incase you hit the button by accident so not easy to access. 

On 3/9/2018 at 5:04 PM, IconTech said:

Picked up my new Yaris Icon Tech a few weeks ago - my third Yaris and I love it; big step up from the icon I had before. 

However, one thing is driving me insane - the front parking/proximity sensors. I park front on to a fence so the first thing the car does in the morning is scream at me. In a traffic jam, if there is an overhanging bush or a cyclist squeezing past, the car screams at me. And so on. There is a little button to press to stop the screaming once it starts but I would like them disabled so that the screaming does not start. I've coped for 20 years without them and don't need them. It's really taking the shine off what is otherwise a great new car. 

Dealer says they come as standard and can't be permanently switched off. Can't really see this being true. 

Any ideas? 

I've just purchased a icon tech 2019 plate and i don't even have front parking sensors, only have back ones

5 hours ago, sufy said:

I've just purchased a icon tech 2019 plate and i don't even have front parking sensors, only have back ones

Yes, they reversed the spec for MY2019 Icon Tech.  Rear sensors became standard and front optional.

My 2018 had the optional rear sensors fitted whilst front sensors came as standard.

4 hours ago, Graham47 said:

Yes, they reversed the spec for MY2019 Icon Tech.  Rear sensors became standard and front optional.

My 2018 had the optional rear sensors fitted whilst front sensors came as standard.

I think it makes more sense having rear ones coming as standard.

21 minutes ago, sufy said:

I think it makes more sense having rear ones coming as standard.

Yes, in preference to the reversing camera that's useless if the roads are wet. Sorry, got a bee in my bonnet about this.

Don't get me started about the position of the USB port in the back of the glove box!

7 hours ago, bathtub tom said:

Yes, in preference to the reversing camera that's useless if the roads are wet. Sorry, got a bee in my bonnet about this.

Don't get me started about the position of the USB port in the back of the glove box!

Our rear camera works ok in the rain. Not useless in the slightest.

Our USB port is in the middle in front of the gear shift lever.

Sept 2014 Yaris Hybrid Excel.

Mick.

6 hours ago, Mick F said:

Our rear camera works ok in the rain. Not useless in the slightest.

Our USB port is in the middle in front of the gear shift lever.

Sept 2014 Yaris Hybrid Excel.

Mick.

Yup mine is too (usb) having a 2019 Yaris Icon Tech. Still have to properly test the rear camera in the rain. Did take it out when it was raining a bit and used it and worked well.

• 1 month later...

Mine has decided to whine irritatingly today. Driving us nuts. Ive tried everything apart from cutting wires or removing fuses with no reduction in its constant beeping. We've had persistent rain for 2 days. Could this be a cause?

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/24/2019 at 10:39 PM, Devon Aygo said:

Depends on what specification you have:

Lower/Mid spec would have had dealer/local market fit sensors, which do not integrate with the multi fiction display & sat nav, if genuine Toyota accessories then the front will have a push switch on the dash marked "P" the genuine rears had an optional switch fitted in the boot see:

https://www.toyota-tech.eu/aimuploads/6b4496be-b514-4297-9464-1186d107d375/TPAfrontAurisLHD_PW501-05100_AIM003500-4_06DE4047D.pdf

https://www.toyota-tech.eu/aimuploads/6e4c3664-4263-40c0-83fe-b9c0daa5d2bc/TPA_Rear_AurisLHD_PW501-05001_AIM004369-1_06DE4046E.pdf

High spec models have factory integrated sensors which display images on both the MFD and Nav screen these are switched on/off on the settings menu of the MFD using the steering wheel buttons

Here the same problem!

Any solution for the Yaris model with the P "switch botton" under the dash? Has anybody solved it yet? 

Thanks!

Please, has anybody been able to stop those beeeeps?

Thank you!

• 1 month later...

I just had a look at ours which has a rear camera and reverse sensors only.  It too has has a beep which borders on a scream sometimes.  I can see from the service history that were fitted by the dealer in 2016.  I like them but I'd like to be able to turn them down. 

I found the (genuine Toyota) box by listening and taking off the rear right (offside) bulb access panel.  Its sticky pad had come unstuck and it was free to bang about inside the body.  I could get my hand on it to stick it back but there is not enough loom pull it out for a proper inspection.  Taking the rear lamp out would not help.  For full access you would need to take the boot side-trim off.  Or perhaps with a bit of a struggle you could disconnect it (very awkward!) and remove it that way for a look.

I am simply going to muffle it with some foam or something.  For the record, being a genuine Toyota part but a later dealer fit, I have no switch to disable them completely or even temporarily silence them.  There is just a blank next to the RH heater control and no switch in the boot.  I would suggest anyone that wants to quieten them listens first to establish if the noise comes from the boot or behind the dash.

We both hate all the endless beeps on this car.  By the time the ignition key alarm, (😬) reverse alarm, lights on alarm and seat belt beeps have finished with you there is no peace!  And I thought the Japanese prized serenity!  (As in a Japanese garden.)  One beep however that is missing for us is a beep for low fuel, which even my 16 year old VW van has!        

2 hours ago, flash22 said:

Most alarms are changeable in techstream, there is no adjustably of the volume on the parking sensors, you just need to muffle it - the TPA manuals are available on the tech website

https://www.toyota-tech.eu/Aim/Aim2.aspx?pubtype=AIM&menuitem=2

Thanks Bob. 🙂  I'm happy to go down the muffling route for the parking sensors but the one I really, really want to delete fully is the key/door open alarm.  Do you know if that is definitely deleteable via Techstream on a 2014 Yaris?  Its a pre-facelift one.  

9 hours ago, Tintaglia said:

................... the one I really, really want to delete fully is the key/door open alarm.  Do you know if that is definitely deleteable via Techstream on a 2014 Yaris?  Its a pre-facelift one.  

............ and can I mute the stupid seatbelt alarm on our 2014 Hybrid?

Mick.

In a word yes, off the top of my head im not 100% on the key alarm but there is definitely an option for it

I can have a look later today

• Like 2

Sorry for the delay I had a few technical issues with TS, now all working and updated on win10 x64 1903

connect to the vehicle - select your car - on the left-hand menu click on  "customize settings" button

Thanks for checking Bob. 🙂  Do you know if there is any way to access TS apart from at a dealer?  I have a legal and registered version of VCDS for VW's but I had the feeling that TS requires a huge annual subscription so is beyond my pocket to buy.  It's annoying really because on my VW I can change so many things, I have even had the multi function display giving its various warnings and other info in Chinese characters once for a laugh!  

It's a subscription it isn't exactly cheap there is a new techstream lite but i have not looked into it

There is the Mini VCI you can use with TS, TS is a free download, Its up to you if you use the supplied software

14 hours ago, Tintaglia said:

Thanks for checking Bob. 🙂  Do you know if there is any way to access TS apart from at a dealer?  I have a legal and registered version of VCDS for VW's but I had the feeling that TS requires a huge annual subscription so is beyond my pocket to buy. 

the latest version of TIS is at https://www.toyota-tech.eu/GTS/Wizard/step2-intro.aspx The software download itself is free but you will require an activation licence - from €5 for a day.

• Thanks 1

Thanks chaps!  Interesting links.  I thought you had to pay for a whole year at £1500.  I'm happy to cough up 5 euros for one day for the licence if that is the deal. 

I know I can't use my VCDS interface lead because it doesn't support the required SAE J2534 standard but I see the sort of leads Flash22 mentions are for sale on eBay from China for £11 or less.  https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/163223169587?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-134428-41853-0&mkcid=2&itemid=163223169587&targetid=602529625626&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9045277&poi=&campaignid=1506533022&mkgroupid=56472528165&rlsatarget=pla-602529625626&abcId=1139596&merchantid=138795450&gclid=Cj0KCQjw_5rtBRDxARIsAJfxvYD2j4pculRpt8PXeKPY7e1BhoylCVKirpfSud2sJi9FSzsRgkcBSLgaAjyREALw_wcB  Does anyone know if these Chinese leads actually work (other than for EOBD?)  I don't want to end up with something that relies on EOBD because VCDS can do that anyway and it only reads limited emission-related things.  

If nobody knows any more about this I will just buy what looks ok to me and risk it for that price.  If it works I'm really interested in seeing what it can do (and how many annoying beeps I can shut up!.  Thanks for your help. 🙂 

For a few quid more you can get one from a uk supplier Mvci or mini-vci, PM Me if you want to discus TS and Mvci further

I posted some pics in the wrong thread earlier today

Here are some snips from TS, click on the thumbnails for the larger image

door chime.JPG

ac.JPG

warning.JPG

• Thanks 1

That looks hopeful.  Although if it's like VW, what can be altered varies widely on year and model.  I'll report back here on how it goes. 🙂  There might be a delay because life seems to keep getting in the way at the moment! 

Thanks guys.

I don't have Windows, so TS isn't for me. I'm not that fussed about the seatbelt alarms that I would get a Windows equipment, and I'm not that fussed about it to spend much money on it.

When we had a Fiat500, the seatbelt alarm was terribly loud and screechy.  Apart from other issues and doing DIY maintenance, I bought a cheap £50 PC laptop and and the required OBD leads plus buying outright MultiECUscan for the car.   I could do loads of stuff with the body computer as well as the engine one.  One single purchase did the lot, and if we still had a Fiat, it would still do the lot. Still have the cheap £50 PC laptop and the OBD leads.

https://www.multiecuscan.net

I see you can now get it for Apple devices.  😀

The idea of buying a one day licence is silly and stupid.  If all I want to do is reset a fault code or two, disable an alarm or two, and reset the service light ....... it all seems far too expensive with Toyota.

Best thing I can do is when the car goes in for the next service, ask the nice person behind the counter to disable the seatbelt alarm.

Mick.