Sign in to follow this  
IconTech

Parking / proximity sensors - are they disable-able?

Recommended Posts

Hi,

Bought a new Auris Hybrid to replace a 4 year old model. You could switch off the parking/proximity sensors on the old one, but not on the new one. Went to the dealer..can't disable them..but I could.... taped a 20 centime piece across each sensor..cost me nearly a euro, but I can manoeuvre in peace and quiet.! Shame that I spent 30,000€ on a car that I had to use sticky tape to make it do what I wanted

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Depends on what specification you have:

Lower/Mid spec would have had dealer/local market fit sensors, which do not integrate with the multi fiction display & sat nav, if genuine Toyota accessories then the front will have a push switch on the dash marked "P" the genuine rears had an optional switch fitted in the boot see:

https://www.toyota-tech.eu/aimuploads/6b4496be-b514-4297-9464-1186d107d375/TPAfrontAurisLHD_PW501-05100_AIM003500-4_06DE4047D.pdf

https://www.toyota-tech.eu/aimuploads/6e4c3664-4263-40c0-83fe-b9c0daa5d2bc/TPA_Rear_AurisLHD_PW501-05001_AIM004369-1_06DE4046E.pdf

High spec models have factory integrated sensors which display images on both the MFD and Nav screen these are switched on/off on the settings menu of the MFD using the steering wheel buttons

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Used to drive me nuts on my Icon Tec if i remember righty their was a button really far down under the steering wheel near the foot pedals which turned it on and off?, Yaris i have now only has a rear camera so can't double check for you, it took some finding out and afterwards i though what a silly place to put it must be incase you hit the button by accident so not easy to access. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/9/2018 at 5:04 PM, IconTech said:

Picked up my new Yaris Icon Tech a few weeks ago - my third Yaris and I love it; big step up from the icon I had before. 

However, one thing is driving me insane - the front parking/proximity sensors. I park front on to a fence so the first thing the car does in the morning is scream at me. In a traffic jam, if there is an overhanging bush or a cyclist squeezing past, the car screams at me. And so on. There is a little button to press to stop the screaming once it starts but I would like them disabled so that the screaming does not start. I've coped for 20 years without them and don't need them. It's really taking the shine off what is otherwise a great new car. 

Dealer says they come as standard and can't be permanently switched off. Can't really see this being true. 

Any ideas? 

I've just purchased a icon tech 2019 plate and i don't even have front parking sensors, only have back ones

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, sufy said:

I've just purchased a icon tech 2019 plate and i don't even have front parking sensors, only have back ones

Yes, they reversed the spec for MY2019 Icon Tech.  Rear sensors became standard and front optional.

My 2018 had the optional rear sensors fitted whilst front sensors came as standard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Graham47 said:

Yes, they reversed the spec for MY2019 Icon Tech.  Rear sensors became standard and front optional.

My 2018 had the optional rear sensors fitted whilst front sensors came as standard.

I think it makes more sense having rear ones coming as standard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, sufy said:

I think it makes more sense having rear ones coming as standard.

Yes, in preference to the reversing camera that's useless if the roads are wet. Sorry, got a bee in my bonnet about this.

Don't get me started about the position of the USB port in the back of the glove box!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, bathtub tom said:

Yes, in preference to the reversing camera that's useless if the roads are wet. Sorry, got a bee in my bonnet about this.

Don't get me started about the position of the USB port in the back of the glove box!

Our rear camera works ok in the rain. Not useless in the slightest.

Our USB port is in the middle in front of the gear shift lever.

Sept 2014 Yaris Hybrid Excel.

Mick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Mick F said:

Our rear camera works ok in the rain. Not useless in the slightest.

Our USB port is in the middle in front of the gear shift lever.

Sept 2014 Yaris Hybrid Excel.

Mick.

Yup mine is too (usb) having a 2019 Yaris Icon Tech. Still have to properly test the rear camera in the rain. Did take it out when it was raining a bit and used it and worked well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine has decided to whine irritatingly today. Driving us nuts. Ive tried everything apart from cutting wires or removing fuses with no reduction in its constant beeping. We've had persistent rain for 2 days. Could this be a cause?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/24/2019 at 10:39 PM, Devon Aygo said:

Depends on what specification you have:

Lower/Mid spec would have had dealer/local market fit sensors, which do not integrate with the multi fiction display & sat nav, if genuine Toyota accessories then the front will have a push switch on the dash marked "P" the genuine rears had an optional switch fitted in the boot see:

https://www.toyota-tech.eu/aimuploads/6b4496be-b514-4297-9464-1186d107d375/TPAfrontAurisLHD_PW501-05100_AIM003500-4_06DE4047D.pdf

https://www.toyota-tech.eu/aimuploads/6e4c3664-4263-40c0-83fe-b9c0daa5d2bc/TPA_Rear_AurisLHD_PW501-05001_AIM004369-1_06DE4046E.pdf

High spec models have factory integrated sensors which display images on both the MFD and Nav screen these are switched on/off on the settings menu of the MFD using the steering wheel buttons

Here the same problem!

Any solution for the Yaris model with the P "switch botton" under the dash? Has anybody solved it yet? 

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please, has anybody been able to stop those beeeeps?

Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just had a look at ours which has a rear camera and reverse sensors only.  It too has has a beep which borders on a scream sometimes.  I can see from the service history that were fitted by the dealer in 2016.  I like them but I'd like to be able to turn them down. 

I found the (genuine Toyota) box by listening and taking off the rear right (offside) bulb access panel.  Its sticky pad had come unstuck and it was free to bang about inside the body.  I could get my hand on it to stick it back but there is not enough loom pull it out for a proper inspection.  Taking the rear lamp out would not help.  For full access you would need to take the boot side-trim off.  Or perhaps with a bit of a struggle you could disconnect it (very awkward!) and remove it that way for a look.

I am simply going to muffle it with some foam or something.  For the record, being a genuine Toyota part but a later dealer fit, I have no switch to disable them completely or even temporarily silence them.  There is just a blank next to the RH heater control and no switch in the boot.  I would suggest anyone that wants to quieten them listens first to establish if the noise comes from the boot or behind the dash.

We both hate all the endless beeps on this car.  By the time the ignition key alarm, (😬) reverse alarm, lights on alarm and seat belt beeps have finished with you there is no peace!  And I thought the Japanese prized serenity!  (As in a Japanese garden.)  One beep however that is missing for us is a beep for low fuel, which even my 16 year old VW van has!        

    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, flash22 said:

Most alarms are changeable in techstream, there is no adjustably of the volume on the parking sensors, you just need to muffle it - the TPA manuals are available on the tech website

https://www.toyota-tech.eu/Aim/Aim2.aspx?pubtype=AIM&menuitem=2

 

Thanks Bob. 🙂  I'm happy to go down the muffling route for the parking sensors but the one I really, really want to delete fully is the key/door open alarm.  Do you know if that is definitely deleteable via Techstream on a 2014 Yaris?  Its a pre-facelift one.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Tintaglia said:

................... the one I really, really want to delete fully is the key/door open alarm.  Do you know if that is definitely deleteable via Techstream on a 2014 Yaris?  Its a pre-facelift one.  

............ and can I mute the stupid seatbelt alarm on our 2014 Hybrid?

Mick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In a word yes, off the top of my head im not 100% on the key alarm but there is definitely an option for it

I can have a look later today

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Club Hybrid Poll

  • 205 Hybrid Reliability

    1. 1. If you were to consider buying a Hybrid model over 5 years old, would you be worried about the reliability of the Hybrid system?


      • Not really as Hybrid systems are always reliable
      • Not if it had a Manufacturers Warranty on the Hybrid system
      • I would not buy a Hybrid model over 5 years old