Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

RAV4 AWD 2014 2.0 D - brakes overheating

jawa

Hello,

I noticed problem with front brakes. The discs are getting hot quickly after short ride. Rear discs are a little bit warm.

I checked the calipers' sliding pins. Only one of them does not have good play. Other three (there are two per caliper) are fine.

I'm not sure about the cylinders as I'm not sure how easy they should play.

Any ideas ?

Shall I dismount whole caliper and clean everything somehow or get new parts, like cylinders, sliding pins etc ?

As car has 5yrs warranty, shall I ask a dealer for doing this under the warranty as it will be rejected ?

One more thing - when the car is on the jack and on "neutral" should the wheel turn freely ? As in mine it is big problem to turn. Even when I took caliper and pads out, it is still a problem. Is Toyota drive system designed differently than any other car ? Handbrake on each wheel ? (I have manual greabox)

Thanks,

Marc

As regards the new car warranty, it depends what the cause of the issue is as to whether it is covered. The new car warranty covers the owner against manufacturing defects. Presumably the dealer will first need to determine what the cause is.

My mechanic,when I have same problem, would take the caliper apart and clean everything with emery paper, rubbing off all rust. There is usually a little ring of rust inside the caliper where the piston would get stuck, and jam the pads, causing overheating. He would use a small pointed grinding tool to rub the rust off. It works for me, I think his mind set is - u shouldn't always have to replace parts.

As regards the new car warranty, it depends what the cause of the issue is as to whether it is covered. The new car warranty covers the owner against manufacturing defects. Presumably the dealer will first need to determine what the cause is.

My experiences with the dealers are:

1. Overpriced

2. Un-qualified

3. Will do everything to point the user fault

18 hours ago, jawa said:

As car has 5yrs warranty, shall I ask a dealer for doing this under the warranty as it will be rejected ?

3 minutes ago, jawa said:

My experiences with the dealers are:

1. Overpriced

2. Un-qualified

3. Will do everything to point the user fault

Well if you're that unhappy with dealers, take it elsewhere and pay.

Well if you're that unhappy with dealers, take it elsewhere and pay.

Well, I know this is sad but that is my experience.

And it doesn’t really matter if I take it to Toyota or “no name” garage. I will be charged anyway.

I just booked one garage in my area and we will see.

Anyway, is it normal that if the car is on the lift (one side) that I cannot spin front wheel when the car is on neutral?

My experience from the other cars is different.

Thanks

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links