Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2002 Corolla Verso D4D won't turn on

Jlo89

Hello everyone, 

im having issues with my Corolla verso. The problem began this winter. Every morning the car struggle to come on but once I had it running, I didn't have any problems. I suspected the glow plugs were going, so I changed all of them and did an oil change.  Now, I can't get the car to start anymore. Any ideas what could be wrong? 

As soon as you say 'problem started in winter', my money goes on it being the Battery. Also the fact it's been fine once the engine is running reinforces battery as the choice of fault. 

If you can, put a voltmeter across the Battery, and if it's even anywhere near 12v try to start the engine. . You'll probably see the voltage drop pretty much off the scale. If it was much below 12v anyway then you know the Battery is flat.

If you can get a jump start, the voltage should then read about 14v, which says your alternator is working fine, again pointing to battery.

Hubrad,

Spot on. After testing the batterie with my multimeter, the batterie turned out to be flat 0v. I am currently charging it and I will post any future results. Do you think it's time for a new Battery

Afraid so.. if it's that low it quite probably won't accept a charge anyway. If you can jump start it first, just to be sure the alternator or starter aren't the fault, great. Otherwise a new Battery isn't mad expensive. If either you don't know the age, or it's more than 3 or 4 years old, just go for it.

Winter is almost always Battery failure time, with increased load and decreased reaction.

So I bought a new Battery and the car will still not fire up.  It turns but it does not fire.  I heard cases where the starter needs a few banging stop loosing it up. Where can I find this starter in a 2002 Corolla verso d4d?

If you're looking for the starter motor, a good clue is to follow the thick lead from the +ve Battery terminal. However, if it's turning over OK it doesn't sound like the starter. More likely the glowplugs. . are you sure they're properly connected? Check they're getting +12v when they should.

Not sure with modern d4d etc, but it certainly used to be common for the glowplugs dash light to go out quite a while before the plug heater circuit switched off. Try at a quiet time, turn on ignition,  wait after light goes out and sometimes as much as 15 or 20 seconds later you hear a faint click as the relay switches the circuit off.  Only then try to start the engine.

If the plugs aren't getting their 12v it could be the relay or other fault in the plug circuit. 

Are you in a place where you can buy a Haynes manual or similar? Very useful! 

Also YouTube. . Lots of good Toyota advice from all over the world. :-)

Hubrad, 

I really appreciate your advise. I always search the Internet and YouTube before posting in forums, however, I have had difficulties finding videos or articles for this particular model.  Makes me want to fix it and get rid of it. Nonetheless, I will bang the starter few times  and check for proper voltage at the glow plugs. Cheers

Which version do you have? I looked at my Haynes book, and it doesn't cover all the diesels.

I found Peter Finn very useful for both specific and general Toyota advice on YouTube. 

Good luck!

Your version of the Corolla Verso (known in Japan as the Corolla Spacio) was only exported to Europe in 2002 and 2003. It was replaced in 2004 by the Turkish built Corolla Verso.

19 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Your version of the Corolla Verso (known in Japan as the Corolla Spacio) was only exported to Europe in 2002 and 2003. It was replaced in 2004 by the Turkish built Corolla Verso.

Ah, if that's the case, surely the engine will be one that was used on various other models, or at least a very close variant?

Might be possible to get more particular advice in that part of the forum (or elsewhere,  but I didn't say that out loud on forum. :-D )

• 5 weeks later...

Hubrad, Jlo89 please can please report back as to what the final fix was as I am keen researcher of D4-D starting issues in the winter as we can spend a lot of time and money trying to resolve this.

And did you have any of these symptoms:

Black Smoke

This is due to a air to fuel ratio imbalance, either the fuel system is delivering too much fuel into the engine or there is not enough clean air (oxygen ) a few things to look for:

• Faulty injectors (injectors need attention at about 100.000 to 120 000 miles)
  • Faulty injector pump
  • Dirty air cleaner
  • Turbocharger or intercooler faulty
  • Problems within cylinder head, valves clogged up due to faulty EGR (exhaust gas recycling unit)

White Smoke

Normally means that the fuel injected into the cylinder is not burning correctly. The smoke will burn your eyes.

• Engine/pump timing out
  • Fuel starvation to the pump causing the pumps timing not to operate correctly
  • Low engine compression
  • Water/petrol in the fuel

Blue Smoke

The engine is burning engine oil

• Worn cylinders or piston rings
  • Faulty valves or valve stem seals
  • Engine over full with engine oil
  • Faulty injector pump/lift pump allowing engine oil to be mixed with the diesel

Quoted source: http://www.uniteddiesel.co.uk/diesel-engine-problems

Edited by Johan Damitha De Silva
Correction highlighted in the hubrad post.

Hi Johan, it's not me with this starting problem, as I have the 1.4 petrol; I was just trying to offer helpful suggestions. 

Hopefully by now the OP is getting there.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links