Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Speedo sensor not working

stevie s

Hi all

Im at the end of my tether, i have been trying to find a speedo sensor for my toyota corolla kudos 1.3 1997 with no success, im not even sure if that is actually the problem, as i have read it could be the speedometer itself or an electrical fault, I am hoping that maybe  some of you guys maybe able to give me some advise, I would appreciate any help, I have had a quote for the VSS from dealer for nearly £300 which is extortionate in my opinion, plus that fact that i am not sure that it is definitely the speed sensor,

Regards

Steve

A VSS for a Corolla of our vintage shouldn't cost that. I paid my local Toyota dealership about £60 for it.

With my Corolla the speedo was cable driven, not electric. So it meant that it could've been the speedo clock itself, the cable, or the VSS which sits inside the gearbox. When I went to look at mine, the cable is made up of two sections, I realised the bottom part of the cable near the gearbox was broken. I didn't get a new one of these, I bought it second hand. I fitted it, and I test drove it, and it worked.

If this doesn't work, or you've changed the cable completely, I would try and fit a new speedometer clock. Try it again, if it doesn't work, then the VSS will be broken.

The VSS can be a massive pain. I tried to remove it from the gearbox, but it just wasn't happening. It wasn't until I took the gearbox off to fix two driveshaft seals did the VSS come off easily. I don't know whether it's because there was no oil in the gearbox and that the filler/drain plugs were removed or what, but it was so so so much easier to get the VSS off when the gearbox was removed from the car.

But a VSS for £300? Tell them to jog on and give Parts King a message on here.

Also, meant to add, if the VSS isn't coming off with moderate force, stop and take the gearbox out. I've seen someone try to take the VSS out in situ and the whole thing broke apart. It would allow foreign objects to get in to the gearbox and ruin it.

Hi Mick

Appreciate the advise, i will certainly go through the steps you suggest, yes i agree they can definitely jog on at that price, thanks for your time its much appreciated

Regards

Steve

No problem.

Can't stress enough though how much of a bad idea it is to remove the VSS without dropping the gearbox. If it's not budging then don't force it as it will break and shatter in to the gearbox. The VSS doesn't screw in, it sort of sits there so pulls straight out. But I tried to pull it when the box was full of oil, that might be why it was hard to do.

But definately give Parts King a call and ask him for a price on the VSS as he's going to be cheaper than the charlatan you went to before!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links