Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Procedure When Stationary

Catlover

Yes I notice a difference when I stick into neutral, often the engine stops, so Battery not being charged. However no exhaust emissions either. Doesn’t take much to keep an eye on the level of Battery charge remaining and act when necessary.

18 hours ago, Alan Saunders said:

Making it creep like a normal automatic makes sense from a driver (used to automatics) point of view, but it is a pity, because it wastes energy.

Yes, I've confirmed (via Hybrid Assistant) if you put it in D with the parking brake applied then it does waste Battery power as it's trying to drive the wheels, though it does not if you hold the service brake with your foot.

• 4 years later...
On 3/12/2018 at 6:59 PM, PeteB said:

I've heard this rumoured too, but not seen anything in print from Toyota, nor any evidence in either my last Gen 3 or current Gen 4 Prius.

If it happens, it would probably only be once the HV battery was getting close to danger level, and that's not something I'd want to experiment with.

I have Corolla which is just a Prius under the body. If I stop for short periods or edging forward in traffic I engage the Electronic Brake or Brake Hold leaving it in D. When I press the throttle the brake release automatically and I move forward

On 11/11/2023 at 9:57 PM, Roker said:

I have Corolla which is just a Prius under the body. If I stop for short periods or edging forward in traffic I engage the Electronic Brake or Brake Hold leaving it in D. When I press the throttle the brake release automatically and I move forward

Priuses doesn’t have this function and have old school parking brake operated by a pedal and cable simile to old Mercedes’ cars. Crawling in traffic best practice is to use foot brake and if you stop for a minute or over then p and parking brake if necessary. If the car has any options like Corolla has then it’s ok to use those as per personal preference. 👍

20 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Priuses doesn’t have this function and have old school parking brake operated by a pedal and cable simile to old Mercedes’ cars. Crawling in traffic best practice is to use foot brake and if you stop for a minute or over then p and parking brake if necessary. If the car has any options like Corolla has then it’s ok to use those as per personal preferece. 👍

I stand corrected, I assume the later Prius was the same as my Corolla.

The hold button for the brake can allow me to edge forward in traffic

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Roker said:

I stand corrected, I assume the later Prius was the same as my Corolla.

The hold button for the brake can allow me to edge forward in traffic

Yes the latest gen 5 which will don’t have yet here in uk its like Corolla indeed 👍 

• 2 months later...

I’ve often wondered ‘what do others do’ and loving the responses on here.

Ive always been in the ‘sticking it in to P’ camp when in heavy non/slow moving traffic or at red lights which take longer than usual.

For context I have done this with ALL my previous non-hybrid petrol and diesel automatic cars and since owning a gen 4 Prius from last week I’ve carried on the trend.

When I drove a manual I was 100% handbrake + neutral, but I found this incredibly awkward in my shiny new hybrid, so I've joined the Dark Side and am now a blind-the-person-behind-me foot-brake holder! :crybaby: 

Aside from the aforementioned awkwardness, I also found the Brake Hold function, and now I always use it so the car will just hold itself on the foot brake once it stops, even if I take my foot off the brake pedal, and even on a steep hill!

If I'm stopped for so long the Brake Hold system flashes up a warning, I put it into P, which also engages the rear brake screws, though.