Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

TPMS headache!

Misteree

Hi all - I'm a proud owner of a 2008 RAV 4 SR180 D-4D, even though in the two short months since buying it the tail-pipe decided to part company with the box and the TPMS warning light has developed a tendency to continually flash (even though the pressures are absolutely fine).
I took it to a local garage a few weeks ago and they reset it using a screen plugged in to the car (£20). All was fine until yesterday when it decided to continually flash again! Not wanting to begin the habit of periodically taking the car to the garage and parting money from its cosy home in my wallet, I've trawled all over the net for answers.
Some people say there is a reset button, some don't etc. etc. (typical internet confusion) I can't find any sniff of a button in my motor. Why do we need TPMS in the first place? How on earth did we survive in the days before TPMS?  Surely keeping correct pressure in your tyres is something anybody with half a brain cell can do - so why hide the reset button in such an obscure place where only a seizure suffering snake can reach?
Can anybody confirm if my car has a reset button and where it is, or am I to downgrade my opening line from 'proud owner" to "frustrated owner"? Thanks :)

The SR180 definitely does have a TPMS reset button - mine did anyway. Yes, its very well hidden on the lower surface of the dash in the drivers foot-well. Its easily found by touch once you know where it is - you may need to be a contortionist or use a mirror for locate it initially.

All the reset button does is tell the system that the tyres are currently at the correct pressure - so make sure that is the case before pressing the button! Unless you change the characteristics of the wheels and tyres you will never need to mess with it - which is, probably, why Toyota has hidden it away.

The TPMS light comes on (steady) to indicate that the pressure in at least one tyre is low; a flashing light indicates a fault in the warning system that needs to be addressed by Toyota. As I understand, the batteries in the TPMS sensors (in the wheels) have a life expectancy of around five years so it could just be that you need to get the batteries changed ...

Thanks Philip. I'll take another look and failing that will chat to the garage. I'm guessing any contact with Toyota will result in a wallet haemorrhage!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links