Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MPG on 2005 Land Cruiser 3.0 D-4D

Land Cruiser

Since having all the injectors replaced and the EGR valve cleaned (work completed by Toyota), the MPG has dropped significantly from 34 MPG to 19 !! .  Understanding that two injectors weren't working efficiently, the only sign of the problem, was when towing and slowly approaching a junction (stalling) and when in drive with foot brake on at a junction when there was a judder.  The car ran fine the rest of the time.  I am still concerned as to why the MPG is now so poor.  Had it checked again at Toyota and they've confirmed the injectors are performing at a the correct level and the EGR is working well.  

Are there any other Land Cruiser owners out there who could tell me what MPG they are returning or roughly how many miles per full tank of diesel? I was getting almost 450 miles per tank, now it's about 350 at a push.  

Thank you :)

• 1 year later...

Did you ever find a solution to this, my mpg dropped significantly as well!

6 hours ago, bleckey said:

Did you ever find a solution to this, my mpg dropped significantly as well!

Hi 

I spoke to my Toyota Dealer and they explained it was due to the extremely cold weather at the time (-13), all made sense.   Now back to almost 500 miles to a tank with normal driving and a few longer journeys.  Drives like a dream!  🙂 

• 5 months later...
On 3/12/2018 at 2:01 PM, Land Cruiser said:

Since having all the injectors replaced and the EGR valve cleaned (work completed by Toyota), the MPG has dropped significantly from 34 MPG to 19 !! .  Understanding that two injectors weren't working efficiently, the only sign of the problem, was when towing and slowly approaching a junction (stalling) and when in drive with foot brake on at a junction when there was a judder.  The car ran fine the rest of the time.  I am still concerned as to why the MPG is now so poor.  Had it checked again at Toyota and they've confirmed the injectors are performing at a the correct level and the EGR is working well.  

Are there any other Land Cruiser owners out there who could tell me what MPG they are returning or roughly how many miles per full tank of diesel? I was getting almost 450 miles per tank, now it's about 350 at a push.  

Thank you 🙂

Dear Sarah,

I know that you have hade engine problems but have your brakes been cleaned and overhauled as they can be notorious

on landcruiser s with brake calliper pistons sticking and brake pads seizing with rust causing brake drag and poor consumption .

Check your air filter i is clean (only 4 clips easy to check )replace if dirty as this is often missed on services !

Finally make sure your tyre pressures are correct as under inflation increase fuel consumption.

If all the mention items are correct then it points back to your previous engine problems.

Note Brake pads can rust an seize causing brake judder which you may have experienced and main dealers seldom take out

brake pads ,derusting them and ensuring they work efficiently other than when the pads are worn down and need renewing .

I am on my 5 th landcruiser and ensure the brakes are stripped and cleaned every 2years ensuring their is no brake drag

and thus not having a detrimental effect on consumption 

Yours wiseman1919