Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Lost key - 2008 Avensis

nicebutdim

Scenario - main (black remote) key has been lost with just the spare grey fob key now available.

What options do I have (apart from main dealers) to source and recode a replacement key to restore original function.

Thanks in advance.

There are a few options. If you have the key code for your car, you could get replacement s from the dealer, but it may be expensive - I was quoted £1000 when I enqired!!!!:shock:

Auto locksmiths are a very good option. They are much cheaper and can programme the keys. Even Timpsons do this. Get some quotes. 

When I enquired at the time, one of the keys was lost, but was returned within a week. I have always had two remote keys and grey valet key.

Another issue which happened to my brother, is he bought a Micra with only one key for his wife. A bit later the car had a problem with the key mechanism in the steering column, so went to dealers to fix. Whilst there I advised my brothers wife to get a spare key, which she did. The dealer removed the missing key code from the car too.

A few months later, I was with my brother when he locked himself out of the car (keyless entry)! His wife had to bring the spare key to let him in. He learnt never to leave car key in coat pocket and put it in the boot. :bangin:

I see owners of cars whose key are falling apart and no spare if it stops working or lost. If I buy a car it must have all keys and I will get spares if needed.

Just try an auto locksmith, and get a pair of keys.

The problem is only having the grey key, that is a sub key, and as a dealer, we cannot copy the sub key to create a new master key. SOME locksmiths will do this for you, it is dependent on them having the software to do it. In cases where you have lost keys, or where you only have a sub key, this is your only option, other than replacing lock set, ECU etc, which has already been mentioned, will cost in the region of £1000

I have a chap who can code them, it costs us about £100 plus the cost of a key

I get asked this every day of the week, the world only seems to have one key, never ever leave yourself with one key for any modern car, no matter what make,  especially if it is a sub key, you will always be in for some form of extra cost if you lose an original :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Hi,

Bought 2nd hand Avensis wagon. GREAT car !!

1 of the problems is the missing masterkey :'( I phoned the local dealer but they cannot make a new one (they say). I read in the manual AND now here on his forum that if i have the master key number, I can have it made. i do have the users manual with a lot of numbers written and stickered and printed on it. How would the number look like (syntax)? Any help is appreciated

the key number for my Avensis (T27) is 5 numbers (for my car).

My key number is written in the service book, along with other details of the car. It depends on the dealer to record the number. I have the key number recorded in a few other places. 

If you go the the dealer with the key number and chassis number, they may have it on record and may be able to produce a spare, but probably still need your car! 

Read this - http://blog.toyota.co.uk/lost-car-keys-advice

As I said before, I have two black remote keys, plus the grey valet key. There are owners with only one black remote key, and are too busy/don't care about a spare until they lose that key. The grey key is not really a spare and cannot set and cancel the alarm!   

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links