Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gen4 Service Schedule

thecaretaker

Hi, I just had my 2 year old Gen 4 Prius serviced today at my local Toyota main dealer and I assumed it would be due for a full service. I just picked the car up and was told that will be £185. I questioned this and was told "No, it is an intermediate service we have carried out".

I always thought it went like:

• 1st Year: Intermediate Service
  • 2nd Year: Full Service
  • 3rd Year: Intermediate Service (+MOT)
  • 4th Year: Full Service

Then alternately every year after. Not sure when a full+ service is required.

Has Toyota changed this? Maybe, as I only have 7930 on the clock after 2 years they didn't think it was necessary to carry out a full service?

Not changed as far as I'm aware. The Full+ service is due when additional work needs to be done and varies from model to model - for example some models require spark plugs to be changed at 6 years/60,000 miles, coolant change at 10 years/100,000 miles, etc

• Thanks 1

Is this the first service the car has had done?

I have just had my first service which was also £185 and my car has only just done over 5000 miles. 

My next service will be a full service by which time the car will be 2 years old. 

6 minutes ago, Harters said:

Is this the first service the car has had done?

I have just had my first service which was also £185 and my car has only just done over 5000 miles. 

My next service will be a full service by which time the car will be 2 years old. 

The service intervals are 12 months or 10,000 miles, whichever comes first. So a 2016 Toyota should have already had one service in 2017 (Intermediate), and will be due the second service in 2018 (Full). Presumably in the OP's case the dealer has decided the mileage and condition of the vehicle doesn't warrant a Full service - unless they've made a mistake.

2 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The service intervals are 12 months or 10,000 miles, whichever comes first. So a 2016 Toyota should have already had one service in 2017 (Intermediate), and will be due the second service in 2018 (Full). Presumably in the OP's case the dealer has decided the mileage and condition of the vehicle doesn't warrant a Full service - unless they've made a mistake.

Correct as my car has just tuned 1 year old and has its intermediate service

I am wondering also how would that affect the warranty if a claim was made as it hadn’t been serviced in accordance with Toyota schedule? 

Think Toyota allow a 1 month/1,000 mile leeway in their servicing. If a warranty claim was made on a servicable item, then presumably the claim would be refused. Otherwise the warranty wouldn't be affected.

If this is a mistake by my local main dealer, could this affect any warranty claim?

I've got to go back a week on Thursday as they need to replace the drivers seat base as the height adjuster doesn't hold. If there is a risk of affecting future warranty claims, then I had better insist they carry out the correct service.

I just read the documentation supplied with the service and it says they carried out a 3 year or 30,000 mile intermediate service. So me thinks they messed up. Saved me some money, but not if I have warranty issues later on.

6 minutes ago, thecaretaker said:

If this is a mistake by my local main dealer, could this affect any warranty claim?

Don't know.

Paul:  I think your dealer has got the service wrong.  2nd Year should be a full service.  Our car has just had its first year intermediate service and my service plan definitely states that next year it will be a FULL service.

• Thanks 1

I agree, mine had an intermediate 10,000 miles service February last year and a full 20,000 service in October (based on mileage rather than time).

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone, I'll contact the main dealer and discuss it with them.

I contacted my local Toyota Centre this morning and they did carry out the incorrect service. As the car is already booked in for the seat base replacement next Thursday, they will carry out the differences between the intermediate and full service at the same time.

Good job I had these forums to check. Thank you all.

21 hours ago, thecaretaker said:

Hi, I just had my 2 year old Gen 4 Prius serviced today at my local Toyota main dealer and I assumed it would be due for a full service. I just picked the car up and was told that will be £185. I questioned this and was told "No, it is an intermediate service we have carried out".

I always thought it went like:

• 1st Year: Intermediate Service
  • 2nd Year: Full Service
  • 3rd Year: Intermediate Service (+MOT)
  • 4th Year: Full Service

Then alternately every year after. Not sure when a full+ service is required.

Has Toyota changed this? Maybe, as I only have 7930 on the clock after 2 years they didn't think it was necessary to carry out a full service?

Sounds like a sensible dealer.

I've just had my second service today at 2 years, 6000 miles and it was a full service. They would normally charge £340 for this but I bought a service plan recently. They still tried the fuel treatment ploy for an extra £20, which I refused.