Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis 2.0 D4D 2010 ''raspy'' sound under acceleration

George2.0 D4D

Hi guys,

Just looking for an advise. My avensis started gradually making a ''raspy'' sound under load. It is not really noticeable when revving whilst stationary, but i can hear it clearly when accelerating. I can remember hearing this type of noise on our company Transit which was making it as well, always under load.  But on my Avensis, this sound recently started getting noisier so I am a bit worried.

Initially i thought it would be leaking exhaust- but I went underneath and checked the pipes and they are ok. Otherwise the car runs OK.

Any help will be appreciated. 

Hi George,

When you checked the exhaust did you check the manifold flange gasket? It could also be the undertray vibrating against the chassis. The only other thing I can think of would be a serpentine belt that's not tensioned correctly, maybe breeding a new tensioner. Ian

Hi Duggers, Its hard to check the exhaust downpipe if that's what you mean as it is ''wrapped'' inside of a heat shield so there is no visual acces. But i have used torch and i couldnt see any black soot from the exhaust gas leaks so i presume there is no leak. There is also no diesel smell in the cabin so I thought this wouldnt' be the case... The exhaust flexi pipe is nice and shiny too.. Would this tensioner not be audible when revving whillst stationary though? Thanks for your advise Ian

check that the foam seals in the air intake haven't perished allowing vibration.

.I have checked the air intake too and resealed it with self stick foam strips last week, the noise is still there :-/

Hi Duggers, Its hard to check the exhaust downpipe if that's what you mean as it is ''wrapped'' inside of a heat shield so there is no visual acces. But i have used torch and i couldnt see any black soot from the exhaust gas leaks so i presume there is no leak. There is also no diesel smell in the cabin so I thought this wouldnt' be the case... The exhaust flexi pipe is nice and shiny too.. Would this tensioner not be audible when revving whillst stationary though? Thanks for your advise Ian
The manifold gasket is the one that seals between the cylinder head and exhaust manifold, top rear of the engine. When the engine is under load it acts differently that when in neutral, but you may be able to physically check the belt by hand.

..I have just made video now..

you can hear the noise mostly at 00:10

Quite honestly even with my pc volume setting at max here, I can hear very little of the sound that you are investigating.

The problem of using a mobile phone for this sort of investigation is that many modern phones use a noise cancelling method to reduce background sound -  which is just what you are trying to record!

Some phones allow a setting to turn of the noise cancelling mode...

9 hours ago, dew66 said:

Quite honestly even with my pc volume setting at max here, I can hear very little of the sound that you are investigating.

+1

Mine had this noise, on both a 2009 T25 2.0 D4D and the later 2012 T27 2.0 D4D.

I also in initially thought like yourself it was exhaust blowing.

Took to dealers (T27) when still under 5 year warranty and they changed the serpentine (auxiliary) belt, it is apparently known by them to do this.

Mine was done at around 50k and the noise went. Still quiet at 91k.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for replies, I have replaced the belt- but it't still same. Unless the noise is caused by the Tensioner.    Now I am leaning towards Fly wheel, the car is not vibrating yet  ( only slightly) but it still has got the same  DMF at 150k miles. When I switch off the engine, i can hear a slight bang so i presume the DMF is on way.   I presume it is the DMF which is causing this rustling noise under load.. Also I am getting white smoke on gear change- anyone know what could cause that? Possibly DPF regenerating or a faulty injector I believe..

• 4 years later...
On 5/27/2018 at 8:18 PM, Juraj266 said:

Thanks for replies, I have replaced the belt- but it't still same. Unless the noise is caused by the Tensioner.    Now I am leaning towards Fly wheel, the car is not vibrating yet  ( only slightly) but it still has got the same  DMF at 150k miles. When I switch off the engine, i can hear a slight bang so i presume the DMF is on way.   I presume it is the DMF which is causing this rustling noise under load.. Also I am getting white smoke on gear change- anyone know what could cause that? Possibly DPF regenerating or a faulty injector I believe..

Hi,

My Avensis developed exactly the same noise only when accelerating.

Did you found fix for this problem?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links