Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Water in my lamp lens :-/ Help required

single_speed_muppet

Hi forumgoers, 

I noticed this morning while walking past the car that I seem to have water collecting in the reverse light & rear fog lamp lens.

Has anyone suffered from the same problem, or know the best solution for the problem

Many TIA

Andy

DSC_5344.JPG

DSC_5345.JPG

Hi Andy, welcome to TOC :smile:

Certainly not unknown on T25 Tourers. It's probably failed seals. You can replace/reseal or drill a tiny hole to allow it to drain.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Heidfirst said:

Hi Andy, welcome to TOC :smile:

Certainly not unknown on T25 Tourers. It's probably failed seals. You can replace/reseal or drill a tiny hole to allow it to drain.

Hi Scott, many thanks for the welcome much appreciated :happy: is there by any chance a haynes type of manual, that would help me with the removal of the light unit to replace/repair the seals ? :unsure: 

My 2006 hatchback has the same problem. I wonder if it happens due to the weight of the boot as you close it, and of course rubber perishes over time.

These light fittings are not Toyota's greatest design. Even changing a bulb can take an age. I ended up lying on my back with legs dangling out to achieve a reasonable position to even see what I was doing! Get a friend to hold a torch while you do this and you'll be halfway there... 

19 hours ago, gazza1286 said:

Even changing a bulb can take an age.

I didn't have any problems changing bulbs in the rear. the front now ... :rolleyes:

They used to be a issue on the old ae92 corolla as well. So I drill holes in mine to allow the water to escape if you do that just be extremely careful of the lamp reflector because that can be damaged easily.

The comment on changing the bulbs your dead right what a pain I ended up pulling the trim away from mine just to get access even that’s not particularly easy.

Out of interest how would one go about re-sealing the lamp unit? Would you replace the rubber or use a sealant designed for bathroom applications?

Just a comment from an ex MOT tester, drilling holes is fine but not if a red or amber light possibly could shine through this could count as a 'fail', the official term is white light shining through so if the holes are drilled from underneath, (If possible) or where there is white light shining behind it, (Reversing light) then that is ok. Worst case scenario if your car fails it's MOT on white light shining through just get some coloured sticky tape from say Halfords in a pack that has amber and red in it for the MOT and you'll be ok, you can take the tape off the following day, but you didn't hear it from me, hehe!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links