Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Bottom Suspension front ball joint

sproutdreamer

As lots of other bits are worn on my low mileage (42k) 2004 Yaris I am wondering what the MOT next week is going to throw at me.? Is it possible to replace the bottom ball joint at the front suspension. The replacement joints I can find look to be for pressing into the front wishbone. When I read elsewhere it suggests they are in a little holder which is rivetted in position and replacement kits can be obtained where the kit is bolted in , through the old rivet holes. Or is it only possible to replace the arm and joint as a new unit?

I have drilled out rivets and replaced bottom ball joints on another car. A real PIA job... far simpler to buy a new wishbone..

2 hours ago, Madasafish said:

I have drilled out rivets and replaced bottom ball joints on another car. A real PIA job... far simpler to buy a new wishbone..

I think the last time I did that job was on  MK3 Cortina. Very difficult to do without enlarging the holes and the machine screws provided (not bolts) meant the positioning of the ball joint was not as accurate, possibly affecting the front wheel alignment. As the wishbone has to come off to do the job, I'd seriously consider fitting a new one if the cost wasn't too disproportionate (OK, you could drill out the rivets from underneath the car, but would you want to?)

MK3 Cortina?  Hmmmm....

Only once have I had to do a bottom joint, this being on a Renault 5 about 30 yrs ago.  I well recall drilling/grinding the rivets out and fitting the machine screws, but don't recall it being a PITA job.  The new joint fitted snugly into the lower wishbone's recess.  At that time, I think I'd have fitted genuine Citroen parts, and I don't recollect removing the wishbone, or upsetting the wheel alignment.

30 years on, suspension design may be a little different, and every vehicle's different.  Good luck :smile:

My views on PIA jobs are perhaps coloured by my increasing age and decrepitude..  (which is why I do yoga 5 days/week)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links