Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auris Gear change

Malligoat

Hi, 

First post on here. I've tried the search function but hopefully someone can help. 

Ive had a 2010 petrol Auris from 35000 miles to currently 65000. The gear change has always been poor and gotten progressively worse over time. It grinds into gear especially when cold. I assumed the clutch was worn so had it replaced by someone I know. This really hasnt help though. Kind of my fault for asking for a new clutch I suppose rather than asking for someone to  fix the problem. Any suggestions on what may be the cause?

I have another Auris on 37k now and I think it's developing the same issue. Is it a know fault? I can't find much online, but its not an especially common car. 

Thanks in advance. 

A few people who've had gear selection problems were able to sort them by using a single-grade gear oil rather than a multi-grade gear oil (You'd have to search the forum for specifics).

Hopefully it's not the synchros going or something!

Moved to the Auris club.

Does the problem disappear when warmed up?

If it wont go into gear, have you tried letting the clutch out a little bit? Usually it pops into gear no problem.

Do you have any problems selecting reverse, grind, or goes in smooth?

Have you considered realigning the selector cable? 

If you opt out to change the oil, have the original one saved, i did 2 oil flushes,  1st one made it worse, 2nd one kinda fixed it, in the end the one i originally had was working smoother in the cold, but it was recycled.

Another vote for flushing and changing the gearbox oil. My old diesel Focus was a real shocker for slow and sometimes graunchy gearchanges, and changing the oil every two years fixed it.

Make absolutely sure that the garage uses the correct grade of oil, though. And that every last speck of iron filings comes out of the box. (I'm assuming that the drain plug on the Auris is magnetic?)

No dribbly leaks from the gearbox shaft seals? My wife's Polo used to lose a tiny bit and needed an annual top-up.