Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Play in front Hub/CV joint

sproutdreamer

Despite having had many well used and old front wheel drive cars over about 40 years I have never had to replace a cv joint. No clunking or other noises when turning at full lock but there is about 1/2" of rotational movement of the disc/hub. Does this signify a problem or is this normal play in the joint? If it does need replacing what is the MOT take on this?

I recollect finding rotational movement of that order on a previous FWD car, despite there being only just detectable movement in the out CV joint.  I then realised that most of the rotational play was actually play in the gearbox/diff, because I'd been turning the jacked-up wheel with the car in gear, and the other front wheel sitting on the ground.

There will always be play in gearbox/diff.. always found some in every fwd I have driven. No play means  seized diff:-)

Thanks perhaps ok then. I am amazed how rusty this Yaris is underside although 14 now but only 45K miles. It came from Glasgow, perhaps they use a lot of salt up there in the winter?

MOT tomorrow, hopefully ok apart from difficulty getting new rear brake shoes adjusted. I seem to be able to have decent handbrake adjustment (7/8 clicks) and a little binding on the back wheels or no binding but 8/10 clicks on the handbrake. Not very impressed with the auto adjusters but no manual adjustment on the rear shoes.

Some feedback. MOT test today did not identify any problem with accumulated play of 1/2" in hub, splines/CV and inner splines.

False alarm then  :biggrin:

You haven't told us how the MoT went!

Edited by Notoyboy
Ah, assume it passed. Just seen your next post!

20 hours ago, Notoyboy said:

False alarm then  :biggrin:

You haven't told us how the MoT went!

It failed as both rear wheels had uneven braking but I could not tell driving the car. Also the back brakes were binding. After fitting new shoes I found it very difficult to have them not binding without excessive play on the handbrake so it failed on the handbrake play/binding also.

When I took the brakes apart I found that both cylinders had one sticking piston each. Looking to see how the new shoes were bedding in it was clear that they were not quite square in the drum as the inner 1/8" on both shoes on both sides were bright and shiny but not the rest of the shoes. When I look closely at the drum back plate the bearing/slider sections have rust scales which I think were pushing the lining edge of the shoes off square hence the edges only bearing. In many years of car dodging I have never come across that before.

New cylinders on tomorrow and retest Monday. Fingers crossed. I do like the Yaris as a local runabout but I would not like to do a long trip in it.