Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Solved: Leaking Aygo

Parv

Hi all,

I'm new to this club having recently purchased a 2009 Aygo blue for the wife.

I only realised after purchasing the vehicle that they had a bad reputation for leaking. 

There are several excellent solutions on this site regarding water leaking in the boot area and I've fixed that issue following the advice here.

One thing I have noticed is the many complaints about water leaking in via the door seals and soaking the rear carpets in both the 3 and 5 door cars and there have been many theories and failed attempts by Toyota themselves to rectify this. 

I had exactly the same issue and have I believe found a very quick and inexpensive fix that ACTUALLY WORKS. 

Investigation : I pulled back (not off) the top of the door seal rubber (any door). You'll find that for some reason,  Toyota have put holes in the rubber seal about every 8 inches or so. When the door is closed, the door and body act as a gutter and water collects in the gap.

Test: I cut some small pieces of duct tape and covered the holes along the top part of the seal then waited for a few days during which we had torrential rain and snow. I then went back to the car and few days later and checked.

Result: Dry as a bone where previously I would have seen about half an inch of water puddling on the rear carpets. 

Solution : Bought a Weldtite puncture repair cycle patch strip 15mm x 95 mm off eBay for £2.45.  And a small tin of contact adhesive from Wickes. I cut it into small pieces about 1 inch by half inch and glued them over the holes to make a permanent fix.

Job Done!!!

Hope this helps!

Would have thought the holes in the seal are there to allow room for when the door is closed and the seal is compressed. May not be so much of an issue for older seals which have deteriorated with age.

Try the duct tape test.  New seals should still compress because of the holes down the sides. What seems to be happening is that the top of the door/body acts as a gutter. It accumulates water which then runs into the holes and down the inside of the seal. The only place out is at the joint at the bottom of the seal.  The carpet soakes up the water like a sponge and runs downhill to the rear carpets where it pools up.

9 minutes ago, Parv said:

Try the duct tape test. 

Don't need to as my second generation doesn't leak.

Nice!

Hope my tip helps others with the first generation Aygo's.