Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auris High oil consumtion

unofon

Topics merged.

• 1 year later...

I am having the same issue. My toyota is from 2010 i got it new, for the last 2-3 years it has been burning oil, no leakages. Lately i had to change the gasket as i was not having enough power. Now it is burning 1.3 ltr per 1000 miles. My concer is that i m doing damage to some part just the same.  

The only possible worry I have with the oil consumption would be damage (contamination) to any of the sensors or the catalytic convertor. I added 3 litres from March last year to March this year over a distance of around 5.5k miles. I haven't heard of any gasket (was that head gasket?) problems on the 1.33L

• 11 months later...
On 8/25/2020 at 9:11 PM, TOV said:

I am having the same issue. My toyota is from 2010 i got it new, for the last 2-3 years it has been burning Oil, no leakages. Lately i had to change the gasket as i was not having enough power. Now it is burning 1.3 ltr per 1000 miles. My concer is that i m doing damage to some part just the same.  

I have same issue dont know what to do,

On 8/8/2021 at 11:15 PM, Alliff said:

I have same issue dont know what to do,

Piston rings are gunked up and are not wiping the oil on downwards stroke, causing the oil to be burned, thus causing high oil consumption.

To fix it, the pistons needs to be taken out, and cleaned, rings replaced.

It's a known issue, sadly very expensive to fix.

• Like 1

To slow down the consumption can other oil be used besides 5w30

I have a 1.6 2007 and its showing as half after driving 2000 miles and I only just did an oil change 2500 miles ago.

This causes an issues with the cylinders too called ‘glazing’, where the cylinder wall is polished and oil can’t longer stay on and goes into combustion chamber and burns out, a good mechanic should be working on the car and do proper honing. Problem is where to find these good mechanics as most of the third party garages has only cowboy ones. Sometimes better just top up oil then paying money to someone who may not fix the issue entirely and eventually cause more problems with the car. 

50 minutes ago, ussy7861 said:

To slow down the consumption can other oil be used besides 5w30

I have a 1.6 2007 and its showing as half after driving 2000 miles and I only just did an oil change 2500 miles ago.

I would stick with 5W30 (by default car should use 0W20).

Difference between min and max is 1.25L if i remember correctly, so the car is consuming 1.25L per 5k miles, which i find quite acceptable, considering the age.

Mine is doing the same, more or less, even the 1.6 Mazda 3 i had before used around the same, maybe 10-15% less.

I would advise doing service every 6K miles, and would not worry about it. It has to consume some amount of oil.

Just for comparison, some cars that are worse way off, the 1.33L ones, consume 1L per 1K miles.

FYI, the issue is mostly present on 1.33L and some 1.4L Auris, the 1.6 engine is not affected by such high consumption.

Yeah, the 1.33VVTi engines are notorious for consuming engine oil; My old Mk2 Yaris had that 1NR-FE engine and was getting through a litre a month!

• Like 1

I've put 5 litres in mine since the beginning of March when it had its last service and MOT. About 5800 miles covered since  then and total milage is almost 80k. Using Castrol 10W40 Ultraclean for the latest topups, bought on price now as much as anything else. Seems little point paying over the odds when it burns so much. MPG seems little to no different so far.

The 1NR-FE woes

T2.jpg

T1.jpg

T3.jpg

T4.jpg

T5.jpg

Aren't they supposed to fix it for free is there is TSB for it, or is it only if the consumption is over 1L per 1K miles?

I honestly don't know. I haven't heard of anyone in the UK getting it fixed and at 11.5 years old there probably isn't much chance. The handbook quotes the historic 'can be up to 1L per 1000km (I think its km) so about 600 miles per litre.

For those club members whose car is burning oil, you need to be checking levels more frequently and topping up as necessary. Weekly checks should be the norm unless this checks shows a lower level then perhaps more frequently. Always carry a container with at least 1 litre of oil. Driving the car with no oil showing on the dip stick is foolish, you will end up with a destroyed engine.

• Like 1

Yeah I was literally checking and topping that POS Yaris Mk2 1NR-FE every week and after long journeys and carrying around oil in the boot just to make sure it never ran out!

The problem is very very few of the engines were fixed under warranty - The TSB does not mean it's a recall; TSB's just mean that Toyota (Or Ford or whoever) are aware of a common, but not guaranteed, issue on their cars and have produced an idiot sheet for the service department on how to deal with it should a customer come in with that issue.

Because Toyota stipulated up to 1L/1000 miles as an acceptable amount of oil loss, most of those engines were out of warranty before they got that bad (Ironically only the ones that were abused got that bad quickly enough; Most people that looked after the engines with regular oil changes slowed it down enough that they were out of warranty by the time it hit that point!).

These days it's not economically viable to fix, and usually limited to people who really love the car and DIY enthusiasts that like really getting into the guts of the engine. I don't think Toyota had an extended good will wossname for the issue like they did with the AD-series engines, which kinda sucks.

Most people that get the issue either put up with pouring in loads of oil or just get rid of the car. (Or don't to regular oil checks and one day suddenly find the engine going bang!)

That said, I'm not sure if it would be covered under the new Relax warranty scheme - Presumably if it's under the 1L/1000mi when you get it serviced, but eventually goes over the 1L/1000mi while covered under the Relax warranty it would qualify for repair, but if it's already over 1L/1000mi when the Relax warranty starts it won't be, as the warranty doesn't cover already existing issues?

• 5 weeks later...

It is a well-known issue that Toyota also have in 2ZR 1.8 L 2010-2012.  2000-2002 corolla 1.8 L, Camry 2007-2009 also have oil consumption issues. It was just bad design from low tension rings combined with small and too few return holes.  Newer design has stronger rings and piston designs. Especielly after 2015, 1.8 L 2ZR engine in auris hybrid, prius and corolla are really good. I have 2015 at 70 000 km and practically 0 Oil consumption after 10 000 miles in mixed city motorway drives.

• Like 1

If it is still under relax warranty. Just do regular annual inspection/oil change in the dealership. Dont tell about the problem until you get valid 10 y relax warranty. Come back in 3 months about the oil consumption. The will do 1 L/1000 miles test, drive it in highway at high rpm 4000 or more for that miles by putting in 3rd gear or turn the overdrive off.  High rpm higher oil consumption and hope you get engine replacement if iT is above the limit. 

1 hour ago, AisinW said:

It is a well-known issue that Toyota also have in 2ZR 1.8 L 2010-2012.  2000-2002 corolla 1.8 L, Camry 2007-2009 also have oil consumption issues. It was just bad design from low tension rings combined with small and too few return holes.  Newer design has stronger rings and piston designs. Especielly after 2015, 1.8 L 2ZR engine in auris hybrid, prius and corolla are really good. I have 2015 at 70 000 km and practically 0 Oil consumption after 10 000 miles in mixed city motorway drives.

My car 2010 hybrid) was the same 0 oil consumption up to around 120k miles then started to consume a bit 500-600ml per 10000miles , I could actually do without top up between changes but do prefer to keep oil at max level. 

Just now, TonyHSD said:

My car 2010 hybrid) was the same 0 oil consumption up to around 120k miles then started to consume a bit 500-600ml per 10000miles , I could actually do without top up between changes but do prefer to keep oil at max level. 

Wow, you are lucky and take care really well.  Toyota actually has 6 months/5000 miles interval for severe with city, short trip, and mountain area/towing condition.  Most people in USA wirh 5000 miles interval has minimal issue on oil consumption. My 2004 Sienna at 200k miles+ need no additional oil in 5000 miles interval

3 minutes ago, AisinW said:

Wow, you are lucky and take care really well.  Toyota actually has 6 months/5000 miles interval for severe with city, short trip, and mountain area/towing condition.  Most people in USA wirh 5000 miles interval has minimal issue on oil consumption. My 2004 Sienna at 200k miles+ need no additional oil in 5000 miles interval

I am in Uk and I do oil changes as recommended every 10k miles. There are some cases of oil burners in Uk too even a YouTube video from a guy from Uk who bought a car without any oil in 🤭

Yes we also have 10k miles interval in USA but under normal condition. I read manual on my auris, it is also 10k miles interval but there is a footnote stating 5000 miles under severe driving.  I think Toyota also understand the issues with 10k miles interval that some driving style are not qualified. There is 6 months maintenance interval but it is mostly check fluid and tire rotations when i was in USA. Most people have all seasons tires that last 60k miles +. 

• Thanks 1

If the oilc consumption is still mild, less than 1 L per 5000 miles, you can try some solvent product that can disolved some carbon sludges on the piston rings. I know AutoRX, Amsoil have such products. Not sure if Ester additive can also help.

Has anyone tried a piston soak or any other techniques on this engine? Soaking the pistons (through spark holes) with some engine cleaning treatment seems to often yield good results with Prius owners in the US who have similar oil consumption problems, using Sea Foam Motor Treatment or similar products - though I haven't heard of this procedure being done much this side of the pond. Although it's not going to magically fix the piston rings, it should clear up any carbon deposits that are contributing to the issue. I've heard varying reports of it stopping oil consumption completely, to reducing it drastically, to doing nothing at all.

I know someone with an '09 Auris 1.33 that's started throwing a P0420 error (catalyst system efficiency below threshold) which I'm suspecting is the cat getting clogged or damaged due to oil consumption (blue smoke when revved hard), and I'm wondering whether trying the piston soak or similar would be worth it, as replacing the cat would probably be a waste of money with the engine in its current state.

50 minutes ago, QuantumFireball said:

Has anyone tried a piston soak or any other techniques on this engine? Soaking the pistons (through spark holes) with some engine cleaning treatment seems to often yield good results with Prius owners in the US who have similar oil consumption problems, using Sea Foam Motor Treatment or similar products - though I haven't heard of this procedure being done much this side of the pond. Although it's not going to magically fix the piston rings, it should clear up any carbon deposits that are contributing to the issue. I've heard varying reports of it stopping oil consumption completely, to reducing it drastically, to doing nothing at all.

I know someone with an '09 Auris 1.33 that's started throwing a P0420 error (catalyst system efficiency below threshold) which I'm suspecting is the cat getting clogged or damaged due to oil consumption (blue smoke when revved hard), and I'm wondering whether trying the piston soak or similar would be worth it, as replacing the cat would probably be a waste of money with the engine in its current state.

I had tried this procedure on different car with similar problems and tbh I only managed to clean the top of the pistons, the problem with stuck piston rings is they create a lots of blow by that polished the cylinders, I looked inside and they were shiny., perhaps I should have try few more times but didn’t have time to keep the car off the road. Wd-40 or Marvel mystery oil are also recommended for that purpose.  I believe you will need few tries before get actually real results. Frequent oil changes and using engine flush with each oil change may help too. 👍

• Like 1

How much oil is this particular example using? I've put around 7 litres in mine since the beginning of March and mileage covered has been around 7k in that time. Just passed 80k the other day.

Failure of an emissions test is the one worry really. Can't really say I can detect any smoke even under either hard acceleration in 2nd or 3rd (taking it up to the rev limiter) or on the overrun going down hills and then stepping on the gas.

1L per 1000 miles is (laughably) still well within the 1L per 600 miles figure quoted in the handbook. 1L per 1k is 'only' 1 millilitre per mile.  

Sadly, 1 L every 1200 miles is standard in auto industry.  As long as the oil consumption is small, less than 1L every 2k miles,  you can dislodge the piston rings by simply change the oil every 5000 miles/6 months with longlife 508/509 certified oil,  Castrol,  mobil1, ravenol, etc. Don't use thicker oil because it will not help. Longlife engine oil has 20k miles rate,  higher detergent and overtime it clean the piston ring slowly without harming other parts.  The high solvent chemical like seafoam only meant to be used for Max 1 hour.  It harms the seals,  bearing,  etc. 

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links