Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Camshaft Sensor Values

usta

Good afternoon everyone.

I had the EML show up on the dash and got it checked out, the code was P1346 which is the camshaft position sensor. I checked the values in the book and they are:

Cold= 985-1600

Hot=1265-1890

So, on this lovely morning I took the sensor out and checked the ohms and it was showing 2060 ohms (cold) and further research shows that the sensors you can buy online have a resistance of over 2000 ohms. The book says that if the reading is zero or infinity, then it could suggest a faulty sensor.

Now I am confused as to whether the sensor is faulty or if there is another problem elsewhere and not know what to do. It’s a 2003 French Yaris with a 1.3 engine and the sensor was made by Denso.

Many Thanks

When I had a camshaft position sensor problem on a previous car, I discovered the same part was used for the crankshaft position sensor, so I swapped them over.

The fault code changed to the crankshaft sensor, thus proving to me the sensor was faulty. Forty quid later for a new sensor and the problem was fixed.

Thanks for your reply.

That is a good idea, I wouldn't have thought of that, but checked the Crankshaft sensor yesterday and they have different connectors. I thought about swapping the sensor with a friend to see if it works but I don't have any friends with the Yaris.

Many Thanks

Toyota's diag' process as follows says if readings are out of spec' then replace:

Using an ohmmeter, measure the resistance between the terminals.

Standard resistance:
Temperature Specified Condition
Cold 985 to 1,600 Ω
Hot 1,265 to 1,890 Ω

HINT:

In the table above, the terms Cold and Hot refer to the temperature of the coils. Cold means approximately -10 to 50 °C (14 to 122 °F). Hot means approximately 50 to 100 °C (122 to 212 °F).

If the resistance is not as specified, replace the camshaft position sensor.

But if I were to replace the sensor with the ones advertised on the internet (with a resistance of over 2000 ohms) then how would I dignose if it is faulty as the values are not within range of what Toyota have specified?

Many Thanks :thumbsup:

Then the "online" sensors are not suitable, purchase a Toyota one 

So where do I get a Toyota Camshaft Sensor from and How much is it?

Your local dealer can order them for you, or you can message Parts King on this forum - He can usually sell them at a discount; If you leave near the Lindop Wrexham dealership you can probably go see him in person to pick up the parts too and save on the postage!