Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Carina Journey

PaulinhoT

When I got home, I did manage to do a few little bits to the car, but sadly the rain came again, and it got cold, so I came in and watched the TCR racing.

This is the fuel filler cap I cleaned, and I've no idea why people don't wash this part of the car.

20180401_122640.jpg

20180401_170846.jpg

That's a good looking Car PaulinoT, in very good condition. Well done on the clean up, looks great.

• Thanks 1

Thank you, I appreciate the positive comments, the car has lots of marks, and dents etc, but I do plan on sorting them all.

Today after work ( I did an early morning shift ), I managed to do a little more work before the weather turned. The paint in the boot was stained and a little thin, and some rust stains had appeared. I cleaned them back and treated them with ku-rust, then gave them a quick coat of paint, just so it's sealed. Then when the warmer weather arrives, I will give it a real go over.

20180402_163917.jpg

20180402_173108.jpg

I also did the place where the jack is meant to live.

20180402_163913.jpg

20180402_173102.jpg

Final part of the afternoon, I made a start on the door shuts, I still have a lot to do and go through, and have made a list of jobs, which is getting longer, not shorter lol.

20180402_174035.jpg

Well done mate, looks good

• Thanks 1

Thank you, I've a long way to go with it yet, and a rather long list of jobs to do, but it's a keeper :biggrin:

So the cleaning continues, but today (Saturday) I've been interrupted with rain, and now motorsport :biggrin:. I did get up early and make a start on the front wings and drivers door. I intend to do each panel as I go.

I started with the near side front wing, which is has little rust blisters on it and rain ( sorry poor picture as the light was bad).

20180407_090606.jpg

After treating the wing to some "Tardis" along with some other secret cleaner, I managed to remove lots of black dots, and some of the rust stains. The end result is a little better, and I will get the rust bubbles sorted at a later date.

20180407_091610.jpg

20180407_093320.jpg

Next I moved onto the off side front wing, and did the same thing, and after I did each panel, I treated it to some beading marvellous wax.

20180407_093836.jpg

20180407_095610.jpg

Finally before the rain came, I tackeled the lower part of the drivers door. This is the worst panel on the car I feel (rust wise), basically the very lower edge underneath is rust stained, which I have treated with kurust. But first I had to clean the door, which took about 1 hour. Again it's not perfect, but so much better than it was.

20180407_095056.jpg

20180407_105457.jpg

• Like 2

All pimple/bubbles, on a stock/undamaged car, will be rusting through :mellow:

Likely the plastic liner has fretted away paint inside front wings.. See: Golf wings with holes :ohmy:

Get on top of those doors! ..... Rust Never Sleeps!! = Kill it :biggrin:

White is a proper #### to keep Virgin Gleaminn lol

2sav

• Thanks 1

Yeah, I will take the arch liners out when the warmer weather gets here, and hopefully either get them treated and repaired, or if possible and the wings unbolt ? I'll replace them. As I say the plan is to keep this car for a very long time, and continue to upgrade it as I go :D

I agree about the white being a nightmare lol, but it's also nice to be able to remove all the dirt, hence why each panel took about 1 hour, and I've only done 3 lol. I want to take the bumpers off and do behind them as well. All sounds a bit crazy I know, but once it's done, I will have a better base to work with.

So tonight I just nipped out and try to clean the roof gully's, as they were green. Once I hook up my pressure washer, I will really give them a proper clean.

20180407_181755.jpg

20180407_181832.jpg

20180407_184350.jpg

Hi Paul, yes as John says those are the places that get all cars of this age, it will be coming through from behind, best would be cut it out and weld patches in, but you can get away with clean it up, treat it with a rust killer, I always use jenolite, aint cheap, but it goes a long way and I have rust I have treated with this prior to a repair that has never come back after many years. Then patch with fiberglass and filler if you are good enough at it.

• Like 2

I will try and get a photo of it tomorrow, as it's not that bad, but I think in all honesty I would like to replace the door. I guess finding one in white may take a while, is the 4 door saloon doors the same as the hatchback ?

Crikey, Paul

You have already worked wonders and it's so good to see another Toyota saved by somebody that actually cares... Well done, Buddy!:smile:

Please keep us informed of all your great work, it's inspraitional to anybody on a limited budget that wants to bring a car back from the brink.....Hats off, Matey!!!:cheers:

All the best with all the hard work:clapping:

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Agent Orange said:

Crikey, Paul

You have already worked wonders and it's so good to see another Toyota saved by somebody that actually cares... Well done, Buddy!:smile:

Please keep us informed of all your great work, it's inspraitional to anybody on a limited budget that wants to bring a car back from the brink.....Hats off, Matey!!!:cheers:

All the best with all the hard work:clapping:

Thank you Neil, those are kind words.

I plan on doing little bits when ever the weather and work allows. I really love the car, so it's going to be well looked after.

Another kind member suggested I try a product called Elbow Grease in my engine bay, and as I'm always willing to take on advice given by others (even in my 40's), I had a box of the stuff delivered on Monday. Sadly it was raining when I got home from work, but thought I would give it a quick test. I sprayed it on, and wiped it off pretty much straight away, and I'm impressed with the results (thanks Joe). Hopefully Saturday I will be able to give it a real going over.

20180409_171415.jpg

20180409_172256.jpg

Tonight after work I managed to do a little more to the Carina E, the weather was good, and the evening has stayed light, finally.

The first port of call was the bonnet, and a de-tar along with a white cut, then clean, then wax. I do plan on doing another coat once I've done the entire car.

20180411_164835.jpg

20180411_171959.jpg

I then moved onto the roof, and although the car does have swirls, I won't be getting my rotary polisher out just yet.

20180411_174648.jpg

Finally I did the boot lid, which oddly was fairly flat, but I plan again to give it another couple of coats of wax.

20180411_180815.jpg

I've still got a list of cleaning to do.

Rear doors.

A pillars,

B pillars,

C pillars,

Rear quarters,

Passenger door (the most dented),

Both sills,

More work on the door shuts etc, and then hopefully the car will be clean'ish, after which I will wash it and seal it. After that I will start work on the other things, i.e clutch pedal is very low, wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes, exhaust, stuff like that.

• Like 1

So, on the 13th (Friday) I managed to get out of work with some light still left, so I set about using my Tardis to remove even more tar stains on the car. Again it was about 2-3 hours work, doing the other doors and rear arches, but well worth it.

20180413_175245.jpg

20180413_175259.jpg

20180413_165529.jpg

This side (N/S) has the most damage to the panels, which is a shame, but all fixable.

20180413_175505.jpg

20180413_175511.jpg

20180413_175516.jpg