Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Carina Journey

PaulinhoT

Just had a quick read through the thread Paul.

Lovely car, and as i know from Instagram, its coming on well!

Looking forward to the bumpers coded up and some more green and red graphics!

• Thanks 1

Cheers Steve, and yes the plans are white bumpers, and more graphics 😄 and a few other bits 🙂

• 3 weeks later...

I did a little work on the Carina over the last couple of days. I say a little, it was rather a lot, made even worse by feeling like crap.

Here's a short video about it, thanks for watching.

I did a little more to the car the other day, here's a little video about it.

Well I went to work on my car, and got as far as giving it a very quick wash down, then set up my stereo, but as I'm still full of cold, I had to come in, despite wearing multiple layers 😞

It's rather cold out lol..

20190105_133340.jpg

I seem to of had this cough/cold for a rather long time, well it went away for a few days, then returned, typically lol.

I'm hoping to hear back from Toyota next week about some new bumpers in white, and will crack on with some more updates very soon..

30 minutes ago, PaulinhoT said:

I'm hoping to hear back from Toyota next week about some new bumpers in white, and will crack on with some more updates very soon..

Would 'moulded from yours' be easier/cheaper....  and with a small chin lip &or rear diffuser .. ?? 🤔

You getting n.o.s. dead cheap off a store shelf somewhere .. ?

2sav

The Carina looking good and 24 years old! when it is all sorted will look really good, used to be into BTCC around 1997 when Alan Menu was racing, got a bit sick of F1 at the time. I've added a VVT-i Badge and the Toyota Club Badge to my car and that was nerve racking enough lol, same cold here as well, it went then back again, well be out cleaning the car again when it let's up again, keep up the good work look forward to seeing the Carina when it is all done and dusted. 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, tooSavvy said:

Would 'moulded from yours' be easier/cheaper....  and with a small chin lip &or rear diffuser .. ?? 🤔

You getting n.o.s. dead cheap off a store shelf somewhere .. ?

2sav

I guess I could look at molding something, that's a pretty cool idea. As for new old stock, I will have what ever can be found 😄

22 hours ago, Eddie G said:

The Carina looking good and 24 years old! when it is all sorted will look really good, used to be into BTCC around 1997 when Alan Menu was racing, got a bit sick of F1 at the time. I've added a VVT-i badge and the Toyota Club Badge to my car and that was nerve racking enough lol, same cold here as well, it went then back again, well be out cleaning the car again when it let's up again, keep up the good work look forward to seeing the Carina when it is all done and dusted. 

Thanks for the positive comments, and you should start a thread about your car 😄

I try to get along to 1 BTCC race each year, although I missed a chunk out in the middle when it was just a few Vauxhalls and Pugs lol. I think my cars going to be a couple of years yet, as the list keeps getting longer, and the parts harder to find. Although today I did find a couple more parts for the rear end.

To be honest, the car really needs 4 new doors, or door skins on 2 of them, both the front wings have micro blisters, and the boot lid now has a magical dent in it 😞 if I can't find anything in white, then I will take the plunge and get them in what ever colour I can, and have the car re-sprayed professionally. I still need to sit down and work out my A.P. racing brake system, both sizes and rear disc conversion etc. So a lot to do, and it's shockingly time consuming, but good fun.

On 3/25/2018 at 9:58 PM, PaulinhoT said:

Well having been away from Toyota ownership for just over 5 years now, I've always kept my eye open for a clean(ish), non-sun roofed, Carina saloon as a bit of a project. Needless to say the other day one came up for sale, so after a 230 mile round trip, I'm now the proud owner of this 1994 - 2 owner, 98,000 mile Carina.

The car is pretty clean underneath, but is rather dirty inside (and smelly). But I've spent most of today doing a level 1 clean on the inside of the car, which will hold me over until next weekend when I will get my wet-vac out, and do the business on it.

I'll post up some more photos of my work, and what I do to the car, as I go.

Thanks for stopping by.

WhiteCarina.jpg

Hi Paul, I’ve just read the first page re your Carina. I think that was a car that never was abused, and when I get to reading all your other posts I’ll probably find that it was well serviced throughout the years. I would also probably find that you have removed the seats and carpets and investigated the condition of the floor pan internal tin work. Low mileage for the years also hopefully genuine. Will check out the rest of your posts on your Carina. Regards, Bernard 

• Thanks 1

Thanks Bernard,

The car does have a book of service history, and as of yet I've not taken the carpet completely out, but what I have seen is very clean, and the car is very clean on the underside 😄

Enjoy the read.

My life is that exciting, I made a video about putting some car mats in my car.

Lol your just car mad Paul nowt wrong with that 😁, always nice to have good Matt's in the car and it looks as clean inside as mine! any excuse to wash, wax or clean inside and am out there 😁

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Eddie G said:

Lol your just car mad Paul nowt wrong with that 😁, always nice to have good Matt's in the car and it looks as clean inside as mine! any excuse to wash, wax or clean inside and am out there 😁

It's good to hear someone else is the same 😄

Just uploaded episode 20 of The Carina Journey for you all to watch.

Episode 21 has just gone live, please watch it, thank you.

• Like 1

So my "to do" job list is growing, and I won't bore you with the details at the moment, but I'm looking into having the rear suspension arms up-rated as I need to find out where this knocking noise is coming from. It's really confusing as it doesn't happen all the time or over all bumps. I've had the car up in the air and looked, and have tried swinging on all the suspension arms both unloaded and loaded, but I will work out what it is soon.

The next real job is looking into the brakes, as I've said in the past, I want to convert the rear brakes to discs, and have been told both the old Celica and Avensis parts fit, but what I don't want to do is have the car off the road for any period of time.

A.P Racing have been the only company that responded to my inquiry about upgrading the discs both front and rear, but I need to spend sometime working out what rear end upgrades I need, that way I can have all the parts in a box ready to fit, in the hope it will be a simple swap (famous last words). The budget for the brakes currently stands at 4x what I paid for the car, which I hope is just about enough... lol

I'm also still after a pair of front wings, and boot lid, and a couple of doors, so keep your eyes peeled for me please (in white if possible).

I also seem to be struggling to find someone in Dorset that could do the set up for me, I've had a local car garage do the tracking for me, but sadly the steering wheel isn't straight, neither is the tracking. But I think after I have had the rear arms done, then I will get all the set up done.

I've also had zero luck with bushes, and have been told to measure the ones on my car, but short of taking everything off the car to do so, I'm not sure how I would go about doing this. What would be really handy is a garage that I could drive in, they put it up on ramps, and have boxes of bushes on the shelf ready to fit lol.

• Like 1

Ooof! You have some wants list, my friend...

Sure you dont have AntiRollBush knock - where they go thru the eye - at the back?

I think I have posted a link to the BIG calipers, 295mm off the Avensis I believe.

MotorHog must be best for panels.

Agreed - you cant do anything with suspension bushings (unless listed for the car) without the parts in bits... No use on a daily

Keep it up M8 👍

2sav

• Like 1

Thanks John, and yes it's an ever growing parts list lol, but I really do want to keep this car. That's a good point on the anti roll bush knock, as the car is lowered a fair bit and they are more than likely very old. I will also check out the link and other parts you mention, many thanks.

• Like 1