Do Not Sell My Personal Information

LED Headlight Bulbs

RealDeal

Hi,

Can somebody recommend me the correct LED headlight bulb Fitment for a 2008 Auris. I ordered some nighteye LED bulbs but when they turned up they were too big and they wouldn’t turn on once plugged in. 

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

The majority of aftermarket LED bulbs aren't road legal in the UK.

For LED to be legal, it has to be in a headlamp Shell that's been specifically designed and EU-approved for the purpose. You can't just put an LED bulb into a halogen reflector, because the light scatter will be all over the place. (The halogen bulb has one single light point, the filament, whereas the LED probably has a whole square inch of light. Result - everybody gets blinded.)

I'd be interested to know whether LED lamps were ever fitted to the pre-2013 series, but I've never heard of it. Got any links?

That’s the problem with these uncertified bulbs that are flooding the market. They blinding other drivers, these drivers can’t see and as a result a lot of them are upgrading their bulbs to be able to see.

The problem has got considerably worse over the past 5 years.

I considered fitting some LED bulbs as let’s be honest they do sound cool and it is the future however I was unable to find some proper bulbs from proper manufacturers. In the end I upgraded my bulbs to the Toyota Optibright bulbs which has improved things slightly.

Not by the look of it.

14 hours ago, Countrylad said:

For LED to be legal, it has to be in a headlamp shell that's been specifically designed and EU-approved for the purpose. You can't just put an LED bulb into a halogen reflector, because the light scatter will be all over the place. (The halogen bulb has one single light point, the filament, whereas the LED probably has a whole square inch of light. Result - everybody gets blinded.)

you also need levelling & quite possibly (depending upon output) a cleaning/washer system.

Hi real deal, H11 is the correct fitting for the dipped beam. HB3 is for the high beam. Just move your headlamp level down so you don’t dazzle people and you’ll be fine. Hope this helps :-) 

Until the next MOT, since new rules are coming in regarding aftermarket headlights.

I use lots of led around the house, where we're paying per kW, so I keep getting tempted towards led for the car.

Then I remember it has its own built-in generator (who knew?) plus, as stated above, the lamp fittings aren't actually built for led.

The only beneficial ones IMHO are brake lights, where even a fraction of a second in detectability can make a fair difference at speed.

Add to all that my box full of spare bulbs, all filament, and I'm happy to wait until I have a car that's built for them.

• Like 1

LED replacement globes are not nearly as bad as HiD. HiD blinds oncoming traffic, the correct LED does not.

On 4/4/2018 at 6:56 PM, pietpetoors said:

LED replacement globes are not nearly as bad as HiD. HiD blinds oncoming traffic, the correct LED does not.

Problem is finding the correct LED, and most aftermarket LED's aren't legal in the UK.

• 6 months later...

How do you know if it's legal in the UK? I installed some LEDs in our Sequoia and they were pretty good but i don't know if they are good for UK road use.

Sent from my SGP621 using Tapatalk

Two issues regarding fitting aftermarket LED/HIS bulbs in the UK:

1. bulbs should be E marked.

2. Recent MOT (annual test of vehicle which is legally required for most vehicles) changes include that the headlight light source and lamp are not compatible. So a headlight designed for halogen bulbs will fail the MOT if tested with different bulbs fitted.

• Like 1

Given that headlights have been getting better and better with time, I'd say that 'pretty good' suggests bulbs not matched to the reflectors. Have you compared the LED to the halogen light pattern in your Sequoia?

Bear in mind the MOT changes outlined above. 

eBay link not working for me.

oopsy ..ok will fix..

ok try again..

Given that headlights have been getting better and better with time, I'd say that 'pretty good' suggests bulbs not matched to the reflectors. Have you compared the LED to the halogen light pattern in your Sequoia?
No i haven't. I will have to do that. Thanks.

Sent from my SGP621 using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, seeker of Truth said:

ok try again..

works for me. The seller is in Malaysia & there is no mention of the bulbs being E-marked.

31 minutes ago, Heidfirst said:

works for me.

..works now but not earlier.

not aware that there is a place called Nuneaton in Malasia..just the one in War.. Have written to seller asking if they will pass new MOT.. will post the reply..before I buy them.. 

in the meantime this might be of use..

Edited by seeker of Truth
additions

10 minutes ago, seeker of Truth said:

not aware that there is a place called Nuneaton in Malasia..just the one in War.. Have written to seller asking if they will pass new MOT.. will post the reply..before I buy them.. 

Probably be better to ask an MOT tester - either way, it is just an opinion. 

this is how I would like to be driving at night.. seeing what I am about to hit..