Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

LED Headlight Bulbs

RealDeal

Which is OK, but third party bulbs which aren't properly compatible with the headlight units they're fitted in, may produce a beam that is not well controlled and cause dazzle to other drivers. Have you looked at alternative halogen bulbs such as Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited, GEC Megalights, etc, which won't cause issues as regards the MOT. 

See https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/76760/best-car-headlight-bulbs-2018-group-test

4 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Which is OK, but third party bulbs which aren't properly compatible with the headlight units they're fitted in, may produce a beam that is not well controlled and cause dazzle to other drivers. Have you looked at alternative halogen bulbs such as Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited, GEC Megalights, etc, which won't cause issues as regards the MOT. 

See https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/76760/best-car-headlight-bulbs-2018-group-test

looked at the regulations regarding dipped beam lights.. strange thing is .. there is no standard except  upper limit of wattage.. however will tiptoe about until I am sure what the situation is..Halogen is so outdated..and the colour is not good..the range is pathetic..i just need to see further when driving at night..

Your choice, your risk. 

2 hours ago, seeker of Truth said:

not aware that there is a place called Nuneaton in Malasia..just the one in War..

scroll down to the seller information;

"

Business seller information

Tereno Sdn Bhd
kian seng Mak
No. 42A, Lorong Gelugor off Persiaran Sultan Ibrahim
41300 Klang
Malaysia

"

3 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Have you looked at alternative halogen bulbs such as Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited, GEC Megalights, etc, which won't cause issues as regards the MOT. 

Or for HIR2 Toyota's Optibright?

2 hours ago, seeker of Truth said:

"looked at the regulations regarding dipped beam lights.. strange thing is .. there is no standard except  upper limit of wattage.. however will tiptoe about until I am sure what the situation is..Halogen is so outdated..and the colour is not good..the range is pathetic..i just need to see further when driving at night.."

Iirc UNECE regulations 98 & 112. Again, iirc there is actually "no requirement" for wattage on cars after 86 under UK law (before that it is actually a minimum) but the EU regulations will take precedence over that.

The range of beam is largely due to the light unit/lens design rather than light source albeit sheer power can increase it slightly (more light to the end of the cut off).

so is it a requirement to use only E marked bulbs..?

3 minutes ago, seeker of Truth said:

so is it a requirement to use only E marked bulbs..?

Within the EU

my reading of the regs apply that only to manufacturers and OEM retailers..I am not a lawyer.. but my wife is.. so I will take advice.. strange that I can find no evidence of prosecutions.. there is a regulation for wire and gas discharge bulbs..there is no mention of led.. presumably because there were none ..there have been prosecutions for dazzling oncoming vehicles.. but not for some years time..seems the CPS have no interest.. Defence would rely on the use of the word equivalent..which is allowed.. so as long as it maintains the correct beam pattern and is a acceptable colour  not blue red green etc then it should pass. the regs state the wattage limit but LED is about light not candle power..I don't think the MOT station that fails the car on having bulbs that are bright white is going to do well in court... considering Merc Audi VW etc have them.. but I will go and talk to Simon my local mot guru.. and see what he can add..

Yes, some vehicles have LED lights as part of the standard specification and the headlight units are designed for those bulbs. They never were a standard fitment for the first generation Auris, and the headlight units are designed for halogen bulbs. You're considering them as aftermarket parts which is quite different to OE parts.

By all means continue looking at this, but as regards this topic, it has gone as far as it can.

The photo on that eBay link, showing the increase in light output, puts me off already: brighter and longer beam I like, but there's also noticeably more spread up the sides so far more dazzling for oncoming drivers. The comparison of front views also looks that way.

Probably great for full beam or driving lamps, but E marking will still be needed.

4 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Within the EU

And after March 29th 2019, assuming we do leave the EU?

I think that we are signed up for EU/UNECE standards for the foreseable future.

If you check the new mot time rules you'll find that they mention hids only. LEDs do not feel, I have them in my motorbike which originally had h7 halogen bulbs fo fitted. I chose replacements that have very small LEDs therefore give very accurate beam pattern. I've found none that meet my requirements for an old Avensis though. No mot tester will remove your bill bulbs to check they are E marked!

No one has said or implied that having non E-marked bulbs will fail the MOT, or that they will be checked for E-markings as part of the MOT

To be road legal within the EU, they should comply with EU requirements - ie. be E-marked.

If I can find suitable bulbs with a good break pattern I'll happily fit them because they will pass the MOT and not cause a problem to other drivers. I don't care about anything else.

1 hour ago, Duggerz said:

If you check the new mot time rules you'll find that they mention hids only. LEDs do not feel, I have them in my motorbike which originally had h7 halogen bulbs fo fitted. I chose replacements that have very small LEDs therefore give very accurate beam pattern. I've found none that meet my requirements for an old Avensis though. No mot tester will remove your bill bulbs to check they are E marked!

Afaik the  new MOT has a "major" fail for "light source and lamp not compatible" - this would cover LEDs where the lamp unit is not approved/designed for them.

No, they won't remove your bulb to check for an E-mark but again iirc they have been given some instructions on how to spot HID & LEDs have been installed & the lamp unit itself should be marked for approved lighting class.

LEDs are not HIDs, and once they put the car on the beam checker and all looks well, they won't look any further.

1 minute ago, Duggerz said:

LEDs are not HIDs,

Never said that they were but they are still incompatible/illegal for use with lamp units that are not approved/designed for LED (unless the bulb is E-marked & if OSRAM, Philips etc. haven't yet managed that for a straight swap replacement it is highly unlikely that a smaller company has). 

Again I don't care. It's a safety issue for me, especially on the bike, they make a massive difference.

As far as I'm aware there are different MOT requirements for bikes and cars as regards lighting. This is a car forum, so discussion on bikes isn't relevant.

Still irrelevant on a car forum

Nope I was talking about the car anyway if you read my earlier posts, however the original poster wasn't talking about e markers or any other euro-rubbish, he just wanted to know if it would pass the MOT and it likely will.

The original poster asked about the correct fitment for his car, as the Nighteyes LED bulbs they bought didn't fit.

The topic was started on 28th March, before the May 2018 MOT changes, and the OP didn't question the MOT requirements.

As I said earlier this topic has gone as far as it can.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links