Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

TotallyToto

Hi Folks, New Member, First Post..

I've had my car for almost 2 years bought it from a Toyota  Dealer, it was their Demo car. Had 2,500 miles on the clock, it's now got 13,000. It's always been serviced by them. They are telling me that the front brakes need changing. How often do you need to change the disks and pads on these cars?? Thanks..

Depends on usage, type of driving, etc. Brake discs, like pads, have been judged as wear and tear items for a number of years now. Have they said why the discs need changing - wear, corrosion, or ...?

At Vantage Toyota Scarborough we take the health and continued performance of your vehicle very seriously.

We recently carried out a vehicle health check on your vehicle which identified the below concerns, that may have a possible adverse effect on your car.

toyota_img_02.png
  • Front Brakes

Please call Vantage Toyota Scarborough on 01723 336 784, and we'll be happy to talk you through the concerns and works required and arrange a convenient appointment for us to re-check your vehicle. We'll carry out another vehicle health check for you free of charge, and re-check those items previously reported. We'll also carry out a complimentary wash and vacuum for you whilst the car is with us.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Regards, 
Vantage Toyota Scarborough

If the disc needs changing because of rust and corrosion, I can understand, specially if you have salt on the road in the winter months (to keep ice away). The quality of disc on these cars are  terrible. I changed mine 4 years ago and it is time to change again due to rust eating away at the edges.

I got 59k miles out of mine but I drive mainly on the motorway I cover 25k a year. If you do a lot of town driving stop start 13k is probably about right. Aygo disks are prone to rusting. 

Thanks for your replies folks, My dad has an Audi and my Uncle a Volvo, and they get 50,000 miles between brake disks and pads changes..Looks like I'll (My Dad) will have to bite the bullet..Thanks..

35 minutes ago, TotallyToto said:

At Vantage Toyota Scarborough we take the health and continued performance of your vehicle very seriously.

We recently carried out a vehicle health check on your vehicle which identified the below concerns, that may have a possible adverse effect on your car.

toyota_img_02.png
  • Front Brakes

Please call Vantage Toyota Scarborough on 01723 336 784, and we'll be happy to talk you through the concerns and works required and arrange a convenient appointment for us to re-check your vehicle. We'll carry out another vehicle health check for you free of charge, and re-check those items previously reported. We'll also carry out a complimentary wash and vacuum for you whilst the car is with us.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Regards, 
Vantage Toyota Scarborough

This doesn't say why they say the discs need changing. Before you get the discs replaced, give them a ring, query why the disks need changing,  find out the reason., and whether they need urgently replacing or whether there is still some life left in them. Then one can make a judgement to replace or not.

OK your relaitives have other cars, but their driving usage and style may well be different to yours, so may not be directly comparable.

Yeah, in all my cars the clutch and brakes get shredded because of the constant stop-start crawling up and down hills!

My old petrol Fiesta would barely last 20,000 before the clutch needed changing!

My old diesel Yaris did better, presumably because the clutch was heavier duty and the engine didn't require so much engagement time because it had so much torque. I have to slip New Yaris' clutch a lot more engaging the clutch when crawling up steep hills and I suspect it will eat the clutch faster again... :S

Brakes normally lasted about 20k too; The genuine Toyota Akebono brake pads on my first diesel Yaris lasted almost 30k but I found the EBC GrrenStuffs and the Toyota Optifit Textar pads barely hit 20k.

I change the discs on both when I first bought them but never changed them again while I owned them, although the edges did get rusty as heck. The faces were smooth and shiny tho' due to my constant braking!!

I drive 10k a year doing motorways and A roads. My first Aygo lasted 30k before having an advisory at the MOT to do new pads and disks.

Wow, I'd have expected them to last a lot longer for primarily A-road and motorway driving!

Either the Aygo has much smaller brakes or mine aren't as bad as I thought!

Slightly off topic but does anyone notice how the much the rain/wet roads effects the braking efficiency of the Aygo brakes?

For example if the car has been parked up in heavy rain the brakes are quite poor the first time then they’re back to normal.

I know the advice of ‘drying’ your brakes by pressing the pedal etc but I’ve never noticed such a difference in any other car

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links