Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

T180 limp mode

Roadwrangler

Hi,

Not been on for a while, hope everyone is well.

I've got a recurring problem with my car, at random intervals, it throws up a code that says its had a large fuel leak and goes into limp mode.  It's not lost any fuel and is becoming a real pain, it can go a week or more or like last week three times in the same week, one of which at 70 in the outside lane of M6 :sad:  its happen just sitting ticking over, crawling along etc..  It first occurred a couple of years ago, I was in Wales and exited a roundabout a bit quick as I realised I was about to miss my exit, not being familiar with the area, I assumed the fuel had violently moved from one side of the tank to the other and falsely triggered a  response.  Ever since its carried on throwing up the same code and going into limp mode, initially it would be months apart, now barely a week goes by, always the same codes, always two incidences (I'm assuming it has to happen twice for the system to register it)   

Anyone had this problem, will it be a separate sensor (in the tank?) or part of the fuel level sender unit?  Is it a tank off job to gain access or is there an access hatch in boot floor?  Any info would be appreciated.

Regards Austin..

Its nothing to do with fuel level P0093 large fuel leak is:

This DTC indicates that fuel leaks exist in the common rail system. The ECM constantly monitors the internal fuel pressure of the common rail after the engine is started. The ECM stores this DTC if the drop in the internal fuel pressure is large when the fuel is injected.

In the common rail system, high-pressure fuel is always supplied to the high-pressure areas including the fuel supply pump, common rail, fuel injectors and piping. The ECM adjusts the suction control valve opening angle to obtain the desired fuel pressure.

If this DTC is stored, the ECM enters fail-safe mode. The fail-safe mode suspends both fuel injection and fuel supply pump operation, and then stops the engine. Before stopping the engine, the ECM permits the vehicle to be driven for 60 seconds. The fail-safe mode continues until the ignition switch is turned off.

Areas of possible concern:

• Fuel line between fuel supply pump and common rail

• Fuel line between common rail and fuel injector

• Suction control valve

• Common rail (pressure discharge valve)

• Fuel injector (P1238 set simultaneously)

• Open or short in EDU circuit (P062D set simultaneously)

• Open or short in fuel injector circuit (P062D and/or P1238 set simultaneously)

• EDU (P062D set simultaneously)

• Fuel line (air bleeding)

• ECM

• Like 2

Lee,

Thanks for the reply.  I'm pretty sure I only get the large fuel leak code twice, but I'll double check the second code next time it happens.  As soon as I erase the codes and re start the engine its runs fine till next occurrence.

Interestingly I do have a second fuel related problem, two or possibly three of my injectors are leaking around the seats, the escaping mist is caramelising in the channel the injectors sit in and forming a kind of hard black glass which can be chipped out when cold (I was planning on trying to fix this over Easter)  Going back, it was just one injector leaking like this, which I fixed, now two or three of the others are doing the same thing.  I'd ruled this out as for causing the large leak codes, as this is fuel that has been injected and the leak is down to the cylinder compressions pushing the fuel/air mist past the injector seats, and thus beyond ecm measurement?

I've also noticed over the last few months my DPF seems to be purging more often, as in every couple of days where as it used to be weeks apart between purges.  

Does this help narrow down the root fault?

Regards Austin...

I have d-cat and have been this problem twice .The first time I got error code 0093 large leak and went through possible fault list,changed anything to used for find out problem.Finally checking injectors and got that one of them is leaking ,changed to another used good injector and problem disapear.Next time it was some time ago than outside temperature was below 0 degree.Hard to started in the morning was  the main symptom besides the symptom has changed without any error code.And again tried to different way .Changed new Battery ,checked glow plugs and etc. And again the last thing I do was checked injectors ,second one again leaked.As one guy from Toyota service sad first must to check injectors for leaking  because the pump is powerful and will  try reach 270bar that  give command open injectors

Had a chat with a guy I know who is pretty clued up on engine management and injection problems, he says its most likely to be the injectors, they are typically the weakest link in the CRD system.   Its possible to get them tested for around £50 and potentially repaired/refurbished if faulty.  

For checking not needed special equiptment but  only simply injector checking hand pump with gauge.You do not need electrical device for injector opening.Leak means you need check close loop and if injector bad diesel will comes through the flood hole.If pressure reach approx 200 bar and stay injector not leak problem.

Austin,

I am no expert but I recall reading previously about injectors being specifically calibrated or coded in some way to other parts of the engine management system.  If this is the case with your model of car then it may be that you need to take this into consideration e.g. specific injectors may need to go back in exactly the same position they came from .....number 1 injector in number 1 cylinder etc. or may even need to be recalibrated before refitting?

I may be off target but would rather you research this before removing them without marking which is which and ending up with another problem. 

Regards

On ‎02‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 7:43 PM, im_ka said:

For checking not needed special equiptment but  only simply injector checking hand pump with gauge.You do not need electrical device for injector opening.Leak means you need check close loop and if injector bad diesel will comes through the flood hole.If pressure reach approx 200 bar and stay injector not leak problem.

Imants,

I've actually got one of those kits with the vials that hang up and you plum pipes to the fuel returns from the injectors and with the engine running you can measure the returned fuel from each injector.  Never used it yet and not sure its going to measure the leakage from the correct point but probably worth a try in the first instance.

On ‎03‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 7:59 PM, Pogle said:

Austin,

I am no expert but I recall reading previously about injectors being specifically calibrated or coded in some way to other parts of the engine management system.  If this is the case with your model of car then it may be that you need to take this into consideration e.g. specific injectors may need to go back in exactly the same position they came from .....number 1 injector in number 1 cylinder etc. or may even need to be recalibrated before refitting?

I may be off target but would rather you research this before removing them without marking which is which and ending up with another problem. 

Regards

Andy,

I think you are probably correct, I've a feeling the injectors each have a bar code on for programming into the system, but as long as each one goes back in the correct location I don't think it will be a problem.  If they do need refurbishing, I'd hope the engineers do an calibration as part of the process if its necessary.

The guy I know who is clued up on this kind of stuff has the ability to program components in anyway if necessary. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links