Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Service Due And Mot..

TotallyToto

Hi Folks, It's Service time again, 13,000 miles and first MOT end of July. Do I go to the dealer or go to a Indy? Front brakes need doing too,  Have a Toyota service history, should I keep with the dealer, or go to the local garage? I am at Uni and have limited funds..

I would keep it going at 'T' dealer as still in warranty, more cost yes but you never know when you might need them! :smile:

• Like 1

If you use an independent, should there be a warranty claim that is dependent on correct servicing being carried out, the onus would be on the owner to provide proof the car had been serviced according to requirements and parts of the same quality as Toyota's had been used. Any goodwill from Toyota post warranty may be lost

May be cheaper in the short term - possibly not in the medium to long term.

• Like 1

in my experience, keeping your loyalty with Toyota can pay dividends in the long run especially if you run into problems later. I have a service plan that includes an MOT but admittedly I did question in my mind the price of their first service that Rosie Aygo has just had when all she had was an oil change and inspection. The price was £145 which I was glad I didn't have to pay all at once for.

3 hours ago, Wiz201 said:

The price was £145 which I was glad I didn't have to pay all at once for.

Peugeot/Citroen offer fixed price servicing for 3 year+ models which is split into two schemes - Essentials (using approved parts) and Originals (using original Peugeot/Citroen parts). The Originals scheme is priced within £5 or so of Toyota's standard fixed price servicing (eg Citroen £140 for an Intermediate service compared to Toyota's £145). 

So presumably as the Peugeot/Citroen 3 year+ scheme is discounted compared to their standard servicing, their servicing for cars younger than 3 years is probably more expensive than Toyota's fixed price servicing (which applies to cars up to 5 years of age).

On 02/04/2018 at 8:36 AM, Wiz201 said:
in my experience, keeping your loyalty with Toyota can pay dividends in the long run especially if you run into problems later. I have a service plan that includes an MOT but admittedly I did question in my mind the price of their first service that Rosie Aygo has just had when all she had was an oil change and inspection. The price was £145 which I was glad I didn't have to pay all at once for.

The service plans are massively over priced imo, I had the wife’s Aygo on a 3 year plan @ 13 per month with eBac through RRG which I thought was good value, the service plan for a further 2 years is £26 per month [emoji50] and the service plan for my Auris is a whopping £48 per month so I declined both, when it comes to service time they can do the minimum the cars require.

So Mr service guy/gal

No need the check the security of the car mats or top up the screen wash or send me a stupid video asking me to spend more money, neither do I want my tyre depth checking or for them to recommend a fuel additive, and what’s the point of showing me in a video my pollen filter is dirty then putting it back, if you charged £10 quid I would have said change it but at £40 quid you can jog on.

I know my brakes are ok because I’m stopping just fine, I know what wear looks like.

Pollen filter 9.99 eBay changed 3 mins saved £30 quid gen part as well.

Don’t spin out the service to justify the ridiculous amount you are charging just get on with a hybrid health check oil filters plugs if needed then plug in your lap top re set the service light and get it sorted PDQ etc.

And while your at it sort out the fact that the digital clock on the Aygo has always reads 6 mins fast from brand new and the TSS on my Auris goes off at will, then try charging me for the extra warm feeling I should get from a Toyota technician smothering my car with Toyota love and care during the rip off service.

Also that tiny little scratch you found on the offside rear bumper is not going to eat into the car, it’s plastic and a paint repair totalling £269.00 if done by you is a bit over the top, my guy charges £100 for up to 5 scratches or dents fixed at home, and he won’t have to remove any body panels.

Personally if we would have taken up all your recommendations >>>>>

2 new tyres (4.5mm left on tread) @ £65.00S

Scratch £269.00

Additive £25.00

Pollen filter £40.00

Rear wiper £15.00 tiny split.

I would have been out of pocket by, a fair few quid.

Rant over, at ease everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As regards the Aygo, the original service plan would have started before the service schedules and costs were changed. The second service plan was probably quoted for after the schedules and costs changed. 

The one advantage of service plans is that one's costs are fixed for the duration of the plan. It has been two years since the costs were last revised, so is a cost revision due?

Of course once the car is over five years old, one can take advantage of Toyota's cheaper Essential Care servicing, which reduces costs by a fair bit.

Thanks for your input folks, Much appreciated..

.......J66 has hit the nail right on the head. Many of the "checks"  on the service schedule can, and indeed should be done by the owner on a regular basis.

Dealers make their profit on the car from servicing not selling, sadly often due to owners lack of knowledge, or inability to do a little "diy".

Someone has to pay for their slick showrooms and staff to greet and offer coffee etc.

If I want a cup of "free" coffee and a telly to watch whilst 'er indoors* car has a bench rest and takes 3 hours to do what should take a competant "technician" about half that I'll get a friend to pick me up and go somewhere less bland.

* (Yes, she fell for the sales pitch!).

Many customers never read the quite comprehensive Owners Manual provided with the car, as is illustrated by some of the queries posted in some of the forums !

Service Plans are fine but offer no better than paying for each service as it is due. Not to mention expensive, and trying to upsell the snake oil  additives which, if they use the quality products they claim to are totally unnecessary.

Certain items are not covered and still chargeable, notably discs and pads and brake fluid change - nice easy, profitable little earners for them, as those not so knowledgeable customers accept without question.

Rant over - Stand Easy !

3 hours ago, REDPEPPER said:

Service Plans are fine but offer no better than paying for each service as it is due. Not to mention expensive,

My dealer's works out cheaper to the point of being a no-brainer for me but I am aware that this seems unusual.

Certain items are not covered and still chargeable, notably discs and pads and brake fluid change - nice easy, profitable little earners for them, as those not so knowledgeable customers accept without question.

Discs & pads are consumables & life will vary according to driving style & usage. Brake fluid changes at recommended intervals, however, should be covered if either on a service plan or using Toyota's Fixed Price scheme.

Some things like e.g. suggesting the tyre change* are recommended because they may be necessary before they expect to see the vehicle again  in 1 year or 10,000 miles - it's partly the dealer covering themselves from any potential comeback in the future i.e. an accident/failure & "you should have told me when it was serviced".

* I know the legal limit is 1.6mm but imo that is too low - I usually change mine ~3mm.

4 hours ago, REDPEPPER said:

Many of the "checks"  on the service schedule can, and indeed should be done by the owner on a regular basis.

Dealers make their profit on the car from servicing not selling, sadly often due to owners lack of knowledge, or inability to do a little "diy"

Many customers never read the quite comprehensive Owners Manual provided with the car, as is illustrated by some of the queries posted in some of the forums !

Service Plans are fine but offer no better than paying for each service as it is due. Not to mention expensive, and trying to upsell the snake oil  additives which, if they use the quality products they claim to are totally unnecessary.

Rant over - Stand Easy 

DIY checks and servicing is all very well when the car is outside the new car warranty, but for cars within the new car warranty and to keep the new car warranty valid, servicing has to be done either at one of the marques dealers or at a VAT registered garage, regardless of the manufacturer.

When the service schedules were revised in April 2016, some of the previous maintenance options such as brake fluid changes, etc were included within the new schedules, and this is partly why the costs increased.

Since around 2014, new Toyotas ceased to be supplied with copies of the full owners manuals - instead having abbreviated versions which are a lot less detailed.  For a time, owners could buy printed copies of the full owners manual - I have for my current Toyota - but nowadays, the full owners manual is only available to download for cars produced within the past five years or so.

So before we have a further rant, make sure your facts are correct.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

For a time, owners could buy printed copies of the full owners manual - I have for my current Toyota - but nowadays, the full owners manual is only available to download for cars produced within the past five years or so.

At least in December 2017 you could still buy the printed full owners manual for a 2017 Avensis because I did. Dealer had to order it specially from Toyota GB.

I ordered mine from Parts-King, but for the Aygo they were a low volume print and I had to wait a while.

My post, was written without prejudice, but seems to have upset some people

I had no intention of causing either contention or argument, nor asking to being told to get facts straight - having retired from nigh on 50 years in the motor trade I thought I had reasonable knowledge of it, but must obviously be mistaken -

> I'm well aware of conditions of warranty - I've dealt with plenty over the years both manufacturers and others -

> I should have said the Driver's Handbook usually in the glovebox if that's better for the more pedantic readers  - Workshop manuals would be of little use to many folk -

> Brake fluid* change is still charged at extortionate rates - 'er indoors Yaris just came back from a dealer "full service" under their service plan - half of which was not done correctly. I have the invoice in front of me, sand yes, HEIDFIRST - some dealers are actually cheaper than independants. But at least if dealers fail to anything  correctly then there is  good reason to complain - I certainly shall be later after the Mrs's car that just come back from one ! Unfotunately, as in most trades there are good and bad ones.

> It should not need a dealer or MoT tester to report some faults - certainly not worn tyres (agree with HEIDFIRST -1.6mm is too low!) or ensure washer fluid etc. is topped up - these are ongoing basic checks that should be done by the owner or with help from a friend or colleague -

(It's really high time that MoT tests be carried out by Government run centres, who would have no vested interest in generating business on the back of the test).

> I can't on the other hand, and in fairness to them, see how dealers can expected to be held responsible for the use (or misuse !) of a vehicle between services. If a customer is informed of potential problems that could potentially affect the vehicle in the interim, it's up to them whether they react to them or not.

*Now - to lighten things up a bit I always recall a lecture I attended many years ago given by Girling brakes (?remember them ?).

The Speakers opening line was "Gentlemen - the purpose of this lecture is to remind you of a basic fact -

if a vehicle runs out of fuel it stops - if it runs out of brakes it b****y well won't !

I think that it is more just a reflection that things are not black & white but many shades of grey ...

& yes, people should read the manual (when I buy a new car I usually sit for 1/2 hour or so running through controls & the "quick start" manual before I move but again I suspect that I am unusual in that, I still walk around the car visually checking all the tyres at the start of the day before getting in ) & should do regular, at least weekly, minor maintenance but again it would appear that the majority don't ... :rolleyes:

p.s. at least here you can take your car to a city council garage for an MOT should you so wish so no vested interest in repair work.

Yes, I wouldn't disagree with your statement - I do much the same despite having had experience of maany makes and models over the years.

...would that more drivers were as responsible ! Many expensive repairs could be avoided doing the basic checks !

It frightens me sometimes, (and still does!) the state of some of the cars you see driving around let alone what we used to be presented with for rectification !

Probably take more care of their i-phones than their cars !!

"Have a good day" as they say !

I'll probably take my car to the dealer, then. The Toyota roadside assistance renewall also arrived today, another £70.00..Be living on beans again for the next 12 months..Lol..

Could always pay the Roadside Assistance monthly by direct debit.

Why not shop around I got the same cover from greenflag for £30.00 instead of the £72.00 Toyota wanted.

I’m going to have my new Auris serviced as it’s in warranty till 2021 but I’m going to save up each month and pay for it as it’s due, the same with the Aygo.

Aygo £145

Auris £185

Both intermediate services

Total £330 ~ 12 = £27.50 per month.

Full

Aygo £255

Auris £335

Total £590.00 ~ 12 = £49.16 per month.

Aygo out of warranty oil an filer with mot £90.00. - guessing???

Auris

Intermediate £185.00.

Total £275 ~ 12 = £22.91 per month

Rinse repeat.

Toyota service plan

Aygo £26.00 x 2 year = £624 no extras like brake fluid included.

Auris £48.00 x 3 years = £1728.00 no extras included.

For 2 years the Auris @£1,152 + Aygo @£624 will = £1,776.00 on the service plan.

For 2 years servicing paying individual with cash it works out at £920.00 for 2 years. Saving £856.00.

Over the third year for the Auris there is a further cost on service plan of £48.00 x 12 = £576.00.

If I choose full+ service @ £395.00 it’s still a £181.00 saving over the service plan.

Total saved £856 + £181 = £1,037.00.

When it’s time for fluids other than oil I’ll price match with other garages using the same grades.

So say £200 on fluids

Leaves £837.00.

Unless I’ve missed something.

If Toyota increase the service cost to the tune of £837.00 then I’m off back to Audi for my A8 and stuff the environment and stuff Toyota,

Three years of service on my 2015 A8 was oil filter £180.00 air con £88.00 Adblue £14.00 key fob Battery £0.00.

No wonder I’m shocked at Toyota. l’ve been told twice now to avoid service plans.

what kind of annual mileage are you doing? Those prices do seem very high unless you are doing very high mileage.

& if you are just taking out the official Toyota service plan they should include brake fluid changes at appropriate intervals.

just fyi my fully compliant service plan from a major Toyota dealer (but not Toyota's own plan afaik) - 3 years, 2 Intermediate, 1 Full & 1 MOT £390. For me it is a no-brainer (cheaper than them all individually) but I am aware that this dealer chain's service plans seem unusually low.

As I said previously, when Toyota revised the service schedules in April 2016, some of the previous maintenance options, or extras, were included within the schedules and costs. So, for example, where you quote the 2 year service plan costs for the Aygo 'no extras like brake fluid included', these are already included.

Incidentally when the Aygo is outside the new car warranty, one can take advantage of Toyota's Essential Care service scheme, where service costs are currently £99 for the silver (intermediate) service, and £180 for the gold (full) - see link below. Also there may offers in the future like the current Essential Care offer, which is £99 for a silver service and MOT. 

The price for the Aygo service plan needs looking at. Service costs are - Intermediate £145, Full £255, Full+ £295. So assuming the two year service plan includes an Intermediate and a Full, cost would be £400, and if it included a Full+ instead of the Full, £440. Have you checked whether the dealer has included things like MOT costs or similar?

Toyota service intervals are 1 year or 10,000 miles, whichever occurs first. What we don't know, and what you haven't said, is the annual mileage your Auris is expected to do. If the mileage is expected to be more than 10K per annum, then the service plan will be on the mileage based service regime. The majority of service plans are based on the service costs published by Toyota - think you need to check with your dealer which service regime (time of mileage) your plan is based on, as your service plan @£1,728 is more expensive than if it were on the time based regime - which would be around £705 (assuming two Intermediate and one Full services).

See https://www.toyota.co.uk/owners/service-mot-maintenance/servicing.json

I don't know why there was a separate charge for brake fluid change Redpepper?

As has been stated some items which were charged extra are now included in the fixed, I agree, high, price.

My Yaris had it's 4th Full Service about six weeks ago and the brake fluid was changed, as well as the pollen filter, both of which used to be extras. I was able to see these being carried out through a suitable window into the workshop. I did confirm beforehand that these were indeed now included. 

I would query their service department about the extra costs added to the bill for those items.

Hi all he wife’s Aygo does about 2000 per year and at the start of 2015 when new we had a service plan for £13 per month, as of 23rd March 18 Toyota wanted £26 per month for the same service.

My Auris will cover about 800 per month so just under 10,000, RRG Toyota want £48.00 per month thats what my figures are based on, you get no brake fluid or any other ancillaries.

So I plan to pay as I go.

As I said previously, when Toyota revised the service schedules in April 2016, some of the previous maintenance options, or extras, were included within the schedules and costs. So, for example, where you quote the 2 year service plan costs for the Aygo 'no extras like brake fluid included', these are already included.
Incidentally when the Aygo is outside the new car warranty, one can take advantage of Toyota's Essential Care service scheme, where service costs are currently £99 for the silver (intermediate) service, and £180 for the gold (full) - see link below. Also there may offers in the future like the current Essential Care offer, which is £99 for a silver service and MOT. 
The price for the Aygo service plan needs looking at. Service costs are - Intermediate £145, Full £255, Full+ £295. So assuming the two year service plan includes an Intermediate and a Full, cost would be £400, and if it included a Full+ instead of the Full, £440. Have you checked whether the dealer has included things like MOT costs or similar?
Toyota service intervals are 1 year or 10,000 miles, whichever occurs first. What we don't know, and what you haven't said, is the annual mileage your Auris is expected to do. If the mileage is expected to be more than 10K per annum, then the service plan will be on the mileage based service regime. The majority of service plans are based on the service costs published by Toyota - think you need to check with your dealer which service regime (time of mileage) your plan is based on, as your service plan @£1,728 is more expensive than if it were on the time based regime - which would be around £705 (assuming two Intermediate and one Full services).
See https://www.toyota.co.uk/owners/service-mot-maintenance/servicing.json

Hi frosty

Mot on Auris not due for 2 years, the service manager actually said the £48 per month quote was high and I would be better off paying as I go, he also said most people take it up because they won’t do the math and are happy with the easy monthly payments, with everything taken care of, until they get slapped with a extra bill for ancillaries, I’m retired so have plenty of time I sit down and work things out.

We've had service plans on our three of our four recent purchases (we've had 21 new cars) - a Hyundai (not the current i20 as we purchased a three year service pack giving three services for £349), our last Auris, and our current Aygo. With the Toyota's the costs have been based on the Fixed Price Service costs. As I said earlier the main advantage of service plans is that they protect against any price rises which may occur during the plan. With our Toyota deler we also get a 10% reduction on parts, accessories and labour for any work done outside of the servicing - warranty repairs are of course at no cost to the owner.

We've always compared the costs with the 'pay as you go' services, and never paid over the odds. With the Auris we also had a brake fluid change thrown in for free at two years. 

If the Auris service plan you've been quoted for, is for just three services (a combination of Intermediate and Full services) and is on the time-based service regime, then either the dealer has made errors in working out the cost or they are fleecing the customer. Despite what the dealer has said to you, I would suggest most owners aren't that gullible as to just accept a high cost for servicing without comparing prices. On these forums we often have queries on service plans, and almost without exception they have all been based on Toyota's published costs or less - not more. 

As regards extras, with any manufacturer, repairs such as brake discs/pads replacements, air con re-gassing, etc, are outside the cost of the services, and aren't usually included within a service plan, unless that is what the owner requests. With Toyota, if servicing is done and costed on the revised schedules, instances of owners being charged extras for servicing have been reduced. Toyota also has a fixed price repair scheme which covers certain repairs (brake discs, brake pads, batteries, etc).

But again we don't know whether your annual mileage is likely to be more or less than 10K - so if the Auris service plan is based on the mileage regime, costs may be different.

The Aygo service plan you've been quoted for, even given the revised service schedules and costs from April 2016, appears to be similarly over-priced.- again assuming servicing is on the time-based regime.