Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Since the "Beast from the East"....

Catlover

The Beast from the East reigned, what, four maybe five weeks ago.  What I noticed since is that my fuel consumption has bettered itself by about 5 mpg (according to onboard computer.  Before the BftE I was doing about 52.8 and now I am doing 57.7 and generally getting better.   Anyone else noticed the same thing????

Slightly warmer weather.

11 hours ago, kithmo said:

Slightly warmer weather.

Agreed, I am back to high 70's low 80's on my commute to work now and I know it will only get better.  This being my first Prius I have to say that the drop in economy is not as much as I was expecting after reading about massive dips in the winter so I couldn't be happier :smile:

Harters, how much did you dip due to winter weather.      I only got my Prius in early February so still to run through a summer. However the Auris Hybrid which the wife has (was mine last summer) dipped from 62 down to 52.  It is currently 54.2, and thats with the wife driving which I am very pleased about because she no eco minded as much as me, so she doing well.

Harters, how much did you dip due to winter weather.      I only got my Prius in early February so still to run through a summer. However the Auris Hybrid which the wife has (was mine last summer) dipped from 62 down to 52.  It is currently 54.2, and thats with the wife driving which I am very pleased about because she no eco minded as much as me, so she doing well.

Also distance will play a part in it, the greater the distance the better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Had mine since February and managed 60mpg the cold didn’t bother it too much, but the high winds do, it struggled to get 45 against a strong eastern wind the other week, it wrecked the mpg performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 hours ago, Catlover said:

I would say it dropped between 6-8 MPG on my 7.5 mile commute in the really cold snap  which is much better than I was expecting.

This is using 'Normal' drive mode, CC on 21 'Eco' and heated seat on High.

+10mpg for me, was getting high 50's, low 60's when the weather was cold, now high 60's low 70's.

Temperature makes a big difference.

8 minutes ago, danowat said:

+10mpg for me, was getting high 50's, low 60's when the weather was cold, now high 60's low 70's.

Wow, thats doing well. In summer in the Auris H is was getting 62-63 and though that was good, but high 60'2/low 70's thats brilliant.

Harters, thanks for that.

5 minutes ago, danowat said:

Certainly does, especially if you do lots of short journeys/cold starts.

When I had my first two Gen 1 Prius, I did a daily commute of about 40 miles each way.  It was a relatively undemanding drive, and my mpg changed only a little summer to winter (1-1½ mpg at most).

Towards the end of the 9 years and 155,000 miles I did in my 2nd Gen 1, my commute changed.  My last winter was particularly heavy on short journeys/cold starts.  It dropped over 10 mpg at that time, and pulled my overall lifetime figure down noticeably too.

68.2mpg this morning on my commute, but that's the fuel computer reading, which I reckon is a few percent optimistic 

9 minutes ago, danowat said:

68.2mpg this morning on my commute, but that's the fuel computer reading, which I reckon is a few percent optimistic 

I've kept detailed logs for all 7 Prius I've had since 2002 (total over 300,000 miles) and the average error has been about 5% optimistic for all four generations of Prius.

1 minute ago, PeteB said:

I've kept detailed logs for all 7 Prius I've had since 2002 (total over 300,000 miles) and the average error has been about 5% optimistic for all four generations of Prius.

Yeah, I'd pretty much agree with that.

I'm in the worst of situations for fuel economy. Low annual mileage and short (<3 miles)  journeys (and currently coldish weather), but I've still managed to get a true, tank to tank measured, 57.5 mpg over the 2 years I've owned the Gen 4. I think this very good for a 1.8 litre petrol automatic car. 

Joe, if you want to see the true mpg you could achieve, look up the 2010 on fuelly.com

I was really made up today. Where I live, a village around 6 miles east of Chester, I rarely see a Prius, even in Chester city centre I cant remember seeing one. Well today, we went about 18 miles t Warrington - where we lived for just over 40 years. I was made up when driving into the town centre I was passed by not one but two white Prius taxis. I stopped at Sainsburys to fuel up (112.9p/litre-always cheap in Warrington) and a silver Prius taxi drew up - and that was a 59 plate like mine.  Then we were just driving off a supermarket car park and another white Prius wizzed past this time a 55 plate so a Gen2.  So that was 4 within about 50 minutes. I would loved to have had a chat with the drivers - compare notes and probably me learning something. A good day, and a warm day so mpg went up again by about ,6

Another warm day, just got to 59.0mpg by this afternoon. Slowly getting better.

Even though the temps are only a few degrees up, fuel consumption is improving, roll on summer!

IMG_20180416_084305.jpg

You doing well, Danny.

One week since my last post and not been able to improve on 59.0, in fact it fell as low as 58.7, but just got back to 58.8 yesterday.  All due to the cold weather we had last week. Looking good for tis week though, weatherwise.

I've recently changed my driving style a bit too, I think I was spending too much time getting up to speed, and trying to avoid the pwr zone too much.

Pushing (albeit slowly increasing pressure on the throttle, rather than pinning it) it into the pwr zone when getting up to speed has seemed to given a bit more economy, plus it makes it nicer to get into the flow of traffic than before!

On 16/04/2018 at 9:14 PM, danowat said:

Pushing (albeit slowly increasing pressure on the throttle, rather than pinning it) it into the pwr zone when getting up to speed has seemed to given a bit more economy, plus it makes it nicer to get into the flow of traffic than before!

This is exactly right.  Don't be afraid of getting quickly into the power zone, getting up to speed, then get out of the power zone.  On average you will use less fuel following this practice. Keep on improving. Oh, and btw, all other road users will thank you for it.

The warmer weather sure makes a difference.  Below is my commute from the other day :smile:

IMG_3328.jpg

Tut, tut must try harder Stephen, only 4/5 for acceleration and cruising. :smile:

Seriously impressive mpg though, it just shows what can be achieved in the right conditions. :thumbup: 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, kithmo said:

Tut, tut must try harder Stephen, only 4/5 for acceleration and cruising. :smile:

Seriously impressive mpg though, it just shows what can be achieved in the right conditions. :thumbup: 

I hang my head in shame :laugh:

I'm usually pretty good at that bit, its the braking I struggle with usually, but this time I got it right :cool: 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Harters said:

I hang my head in shame :laugh:

I'm usually pretty good at that bit, its the braking I struggle with usually, but this time I got it right :cool: 

I'm lucky if I get 3/5 for those two. As a matter of interest, do you still have the puncture repair kit or a spare wheel ?

I got 77.7 yesterday, has anyone managed to get (much?) more than 80 in a gen3? 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links