Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Since the "Beast from the East"....

Catlover

16 hours ago, kithmo said:

I'm lucky if I get 3/5 for those two. As a matter of interest, do you still have the puncture repair kit or a spare wheel ?

I have a puncture repair kit.

45 minutes ago, danowat said:

I got 77.7 yesterday, has anyone managed to get (much?) more than 80 in a gen3? 

When I had my Gen 3 I got 99.9 mpg on trips of up to 20 miles once or twice, but that's normally undone by several short trips which are only about 25-40 mpg!

The real test is per calculated tankful, where my best was 67.18 mpg (71.1 on the car's display - a variance of -5.84%).  I found the car was on average about 5% optimistic (in fact, this figure held true of all 7 Prius I've had (2 Gen 1, 3 Gen 2, 1 Gen 3 and my current Gen4).

In the 55½k miles I covered in the Gen 3 my overall calculated average was 56.6 mpg, but I did a lot of short journeys.

So far, in 26½k in my Gen 4 I've averaged 63.9 mpg, which of course is now climbing as the weather improves and I've switched back to more efficient summer tyres.

21 minutes ago, Harters said:

I have a puncture repair kit.

The reason I ask is I replaced mine with a temporary spare, which is slightly heavier, and my best mpg before was around 85 (on the trip) on a 90 mile journey. The same journey same conditions I got 79 mpg, so I think I've lost around 6 mpg there, but my average mpg is only around 2-3 less than before.

2 hours ago, kithmo said:

The reason I ask is I replaced mine with a temporary spare, which is slightly heavier, and my best mpg before was around 85 (on the trip) on a 90 mile journey. The same journey same conditions I got 79 mpg, so I think I've lost around 6 mpg there, but my average mpg is only around 2-3 less than before.

Interesting to show what a difference weight makes!

Due to the much warmer weather this last week or so, last Thursday I zeroed the dashboard mpg and started again. Not done a lot of miles since (maybe 65 miles) but doing 66.1 mpg at the moment.  This is obviously going to settle down somewhere, but does reflect that weather does make a difference as well as how you drive. Last summer best I got from the now wifes Auris hybrid was 62.3.

On 4/22/2018 at 10:01 AM, danowat said:

I got 77.7 yesterday, has anyone managed to get (much?) more than 80 in a gen3? 

This was a few years ago but I'll still crow about it at any opportunity... an indicated 92.5mpg over 29 miles. No downhill trickery or huge tailwinds - just my normal commute on a lovely summer's morning, albeit with a warm start. That was achieved on 17" wheels, too. In fairness, it is an incredibly hybrid-friendly route and I couldn't replicate that everywhere in the country, especially not in the hilly north!

At the time, the car was 3 years old. It is worth pointing out that economy does decline with age. I used to be able to hit 80+mpg on the same commute in my wife's Auris in its youth, but these days it's eight years old and I struggle to see 65 on that journey. 

4.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Seems I reached a plateau, I am now hanging around the 65.5 mpg on the onboard computer. I got up to 65.7 couple weeks ago, but then went down somewhere around 65.2 and being yo-yoing ever since, currently at 65.6mpg. Obviously the higher it gets, the harder it is to get any better, so maybe 65.5 is around the best I gonna get. Happy with that. 

As an overall average, I'd say that's pretty damn good, think the best I've seen over a tank of fuel is 68mpg.

I've just finished a touring holiday in France.  We did 3,047 miles avoiding the toll roads and the car reported 67.7 mpg over the distance.  Interestingly though, Fuelly works it out at 63.82.

2 hours ago, RWaggers said:

I've just finished a touring holiday in France.  We did 3,047 miles avoiding the toll roads and the car reported 67.7 mpg over the distance.  Interestingly though, Fuelly works it out at 63.82.

Sounds about right, I found the Gen 3, The Prius+ and now the Gen 4 all about 4 mpg over reading on the car compared to brim to brim refuelling calculation as on Fuelly.

According to what someone on this forum says, thats sounds about right Richard. It was said the Toyota computer figure is about 5% optimistic so a difference of 3.8mpg sounds in that order

Keith and I typing at the same time, but both in accord.

IIRC it's called connected minds :unsure:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links