Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Boot leaking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jikky

Hi all(again!!!) I seem to have a problem with a boot leak on the left hand side(IQ3- 2009) and wondered if anybody else has experienced the same thing,ive had the car nearly 4 weeks now and thought the mitsubishi warrenty (i purchased the car from them,it was a part ex)would cover it,but its dosnt cover bodywork!ive taken the bootseal off and used butyl rubber sealant to re seal it but still got water coming in!checked the light housing inside and its totally dry( its higher than the light) ,the top rubber(the round one with cables to back door)is dry,Im scratching my head trying to work this out,if theres an easy answer I would be VERY greatfull before stripping out the whole left hand side ,any advice would be very greatfull,thank you.

On other Toyota models (eg Aygo and Auris for example), water can leak into the boot from vents behind the rear bumper - seals to these can perish in time. 

On 02/04/2018 at 4:38 PM, FROSTYBALLS said:

On other Toyota models (eg Aygo and Auris for example), water can leak into the boot from vents behind the rear bumper - seals to these can perish in time. 

Hi Mike,thanks for the reply,yea we checked around that area,but bone dry!seems the leak is slightly higher than the rear lights,pain, seems like next weekend will be stripping the whole left side out and stuck in the boot ! will post the remedy when found in case anybody else has this missfortune

try using a water can and gently pour it in specific areas then check inside to pin point the issue

• 1 month later...

Fixed!!!  Water leak was from the passenger side gutter channel(which it seems is not meant to carry water,as its sealed and put there to cover the seam from body to the roof). The seam between the roof panel and side panel under the gutter trim roof drip rail,(the drip rail had come away from its origional butyl tape sealant and was loose) gets a hairline split in the original panel sealer at the rear end and rainwater creeps in and down the inside of the side pillar, where it drips off into the boot, filling the tool well.
I thoroughly cleaned it out.and primed it with volvo dealership clear plastic primer and  re-sealed it(the gutter seal) with dow corning 785+clear silicone sealant,and no  leak!! hope this helps anybody else with this problem because ive havnt found one(iq) in the world with the same problem on the internet,always check under your toolkit every service for water!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IQ leak.jpg

IQ driprail channel.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 2 years later...

I've got this issue in my iQ, totally sodden carpet under the polystyrene tool tray.  I can see the top image, that is the boot well.  The second image though, not sure where that is on the vehicle??  Any chance anyone could advise please??

To confirm as well, was the leak coming from the passenger side roof seal then??  Sounds like that rubber seal has failed/perished over time and is allowing water in as a result. 

It's my job for the weekend either way. 👍

Hi friend,first time back on site 6 months after ill health,you probably have blocked rear flaps there are posts on here seems a simple fix if you look around,

https://www.toyotaownersclub.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=32108

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi, I have an 09 silver IQ with the same issue. How did you fix it? Just put sealant over the crack? Did that resolve it? 

I think you need one of these.

On a serious note, easiest way to identify the leak is to sit inside, and have some pour water over the car, then get to fixing.

09_large.gif?v=1530844827

• Haha 2

I am confident that I have resolved my leaking boot now, car has been outside for the last week with all the wet weather and the area beneath the rear seat is still bone dry. 😁

To fix the issue I initially removed the rear seat, dead easy, 6 bolts too unscrew and single plastic wire connector to disconnect on the passenger side, then lift it out.  I then removed all of the plastic panelling from the rear half of the car.  This is relatively easy to do, it all just clips together, so with a bit of confidence you can unclip it all in its sections.  Probably useful to have a small flat blade screwdriver whilst doing this.  That allows you to see clearly the metal bodywork from the inside.  I then sat myself inside and had someone pour a bucket of water over the roof of the car and carefully looked for any signs of running water.  Surprise surprise, after a couple of seconds, a small trickle was clearly evident on the passenger side of the car, below the bottom of the boot opening, adjacent to the cable clip that connects to the rear seat.  In fact there was an evident witness mark here, a small dark line, which made me confident that this was the longterm source of the water ingress.  

My next job was to remove the rubber boot seal, I gave this a real good clean once removed as it appeared a little bit dirty with moss/soil etc.  Cleanliness is of course key when trying to stop a leak and get a good seal!!

I then also removed the rear light on the passenger side, had seen some previous conversations about this being another source of moss/dirt and potential source of a leak as a result.  This was a bit of job, probably the hardest bit, three internal nuts to be removed, but then you have to drop the rear bumper as well.  I found that undoing the two torx bolts by each rear lamp was sufficient to get the lamp out.  Again, I gave that a darn good clean, especially around the bodywork that the light had been obscuring.    

It was then a case of nailing down where the leak was potentially getting in.  I felt it was getting in under the rubber seal of the boot, so I focussed on that. The top of the boot has no joins in the sheet metal, so no issues there.  Down the sides of the boot is a different story.  Approximately halfway to two thirds of a way down each side there is a folded sheet metal joint, which has a hollow centre.  It is about level with the rear lamps, so I focussed on this and filled that hollow with some clear silicone sealant.  In fact, I ran a bead down most of the sheet metal joint that the rubber seal pushes on too, on either side of the boot.  

It then came to reassembling again and seeing if that had resolved it, I decided to run another bead of clear silicone down the outer side of the metal work that the rubber seal pushes on to.  Just a very small bead this time, that when the rubber seal was pushed on to would hopefully enhance the seal quality.  Then bolted the rear lamp back into place and tightened up the rear bumper torx bolts.  I also cut out the carpet that was in the boot recess, below the wheel jack polystyrene container, it was sodden so no chance of drying out.  I then put some blue roll in the boot to clearly highlight if the water leak was there.  I left that for a couple of weeks, with no sign of any issues.  I then clipped all the plastic panelling back into place and have continued to monitor it.  Everything is still dry, hence confident it is resolved.  

It appears that it was leaking under the rubber seal of the boot, and getting in through a joint in the sheet metal around the boot opening.  So I would suggest getting stuck in with some silicone sealant on that joint and making sure it is properly sealed.  Apologies as I haven't got any pictures of where I think the exact problem was, I didn't think to take any at the time, hopefully what I have described and shown in my images will help.  Give that a go, see how you go!! 👍       

WP_20210514_08_00_53_Pro.jpg

WP_20210514_08_01_09_Pro.jpg

WP_20210514_08_02_21_Pro.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks very much Mark for sharing. Very helpful. You gave clear details that will greatly help anyone with the same issue.

On 5/13/2021 at 7:33 PM, Glenn79 said:

Hi, I have an 09 silver IQ with the same issue. How did you fix it? Just put sealant over the crack? Did that resolve it? 

Hi,yes cleaned out the crack and used plastic primer on it before sealant.it did fix it,its been fine 2 years now.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jikky said:

Hi,yes cleaned out the crack and used plastic primer on it before sealant.it did fix it,its been fine 2 years now.

Ditto..I did try Marks way,but was unsuccessfull .With the boot open try prying the drip rail up slightly ,with a torch have a look for any tiny cracks in the sealant,I think mine was down to being hit in the corner by the previous owner.

Good luck.

Brilliant, thanks for the detailed responses! :) 

I ended up getting annoyed with the damp smell coming from the underlay, so ripped out all the carpets, jet washed them with lots of soap, then vax'd them and bought some underlay from a carpet shop to replace the smelly damp underlay. The carpets feel like a rolls royce now, they're so padded.

I put some felt roof tar across the back, where the seal had cracked/split on the roof/body joins, and bought a new seal for the boot door from Toyota (£104 ouch), as it was split along the bottom and there were water marks below where the split was on the inside. Fingers crossed, this will sort it now and I can carry on enjoying driving the Bosch (affectionally renamed by my friends).

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

Well, I've tried...

1. renewing the LH light cluster gasket - still leaking heavily.

2. sealing all the little gaps in the metalwork joins, all the way around the area under the rubber boot seal - still leaking heavily.

Now I'm going to have a look under the rubber roof rails, as suggested by @Jikky - I've left this until last, because it's the thing I'm most likely to damage, but it seems to be the final hope.

Fingers firmly crossed! 🤞

• Like 2

1 hour ago, glimp said:

Well, I've tried...

1. renewing the LH light cluster gasket - still leaking heavily.

2. sealing all the little gaps in the metalwork joins, all the way around the area under the rubber boot seal - still leaking heavily.

Now I'm going to have a look under the rubber roof rails, as suggested by @Jikky - I've left this until last, because it's the thing I'm most likely to damage, but it seems to be the final hope.

Fingers firmly crossed! 🤞

Hi Glimp,this is from the manual, if the drip rail doesnt slide out, a plasic spudger is required to disengage the clips.

drip2.png

• Like 1

@glimp I hope we've not sent you on a wild goose chase and there is a crack to fix. Just chipping in to say good luck from me too (I almost lost my mind trying to fix never-ending, eventually-reoccuring leaks with my C1s, so I know how frustrating it can be), and please keep us posted.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jikky said:

Hi Glimp,this is from the manual, if the drip rail doesnt slide out, a plasic spudger is required to disengage the clips.

drip2.png

Thanks. Both 'rubber' roof rails disconnected really easily from the clips. I've got some touch-up paint for the car, which I applied liberally to the area in question, on both sides of the car. Sad to say, it still leaked!

58 minutes ago, 74hct04 said:

@glimp I hope we've not sent you on a wild goose chase and there is a crack to fix. Just chipping in to say good luck from me too (I almost lost my mind trying to fix never-ending, eventually-reoccuring leaks with my C1s, so I know how frustrating it can be), and please keep us posted.

Thanks to you too. Don't worry about the 'wild goose chase' - It's a new car to me, so everything I do helps me to get to know it a bit better.

I think I may be homing in on the problem on my car. I believe water is getting in behind the tailgate rubber weather strip, travelling down the vertical sides of the tailgate, then entering the boot in the horizonta area I've circled (the base of the tailgate area)...

image.thumb.png.1e1ebe4822be4fd15fb8f80d17dd7fcf.png

The weather strip was absolutely filthy inside & out, so I cleaned it up.

image.thumb.png.e0eda95da616a891937a28f20515f041.png

I might need to splash out ( 🤣 ) on a new weather strip. They sell universal ones on eBay. Anyone ever tried them? They're about a fifth the price of an OEM one.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, glimp said:

Thanks. Both 'rubber' roof rails disconnected really easily from the clips. I've got some touch-up paint for the car, which I applied liberally to the area in question, on both sides of the car. Sad to say, it still leaked!

Thanks to you too. Don't worry about the 'wild goose chase' - It's a new car to me, so everything I do helps me to get to know it a bit better.

I think I may be homing in on the problem on my car. I believe water is getting in behind the tailgate rubber weather strip, travelling down the vertical sides of the tailgate, then entering the boot in the horizonta area I've circled (the base of the tailgate area)...

image.thumb.png.1e1ebe4822be4fd15fb8f80d17dd7fcf.png

The weather strip was absolutely filthy inside & out, so I cleaned it up.

image.thumb.png.e0eda95da616a891937a28f20515f041.png

I might need to splash out ( 🤣 ) on a new weather strip. They sell universal ones on Ebay. Anyone ever tried them? They're about a fifth the price of an OEM one.

Wow that rubber is a mess!that rust on the corner seam certainly looks like you have found the cullprit,good luck from me too!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jikky said:

Wow that rubber is a mess!that rust on the corner seam certainly looks like you have found the cullprit,good luck from me too!

Yes it was a mess. That amount of dirt will have allowed water underneath the rubber seal.

I ended up cleaning the outside surfaces of the weather strip as well as I could and smearing a bead of clear mastic along the top and down the sides of the tailgate opening edge, as far as the top of each light cluster,  to try to create a watertight seal.

I then poured a massive amount of water - monsoon levels - onto the roof of the car. The RH side is now not leaking at all and the LH side is still leaking slightly. Rain is forecast tomorrow - I'm prepared for the worst!

• Sad 1

Result! (hopefully)...

2 x very heavy downpours (thunderstorms) just now.

1 x dry boot!

I think, on my car, the problem was the filthy dirty, 14-year-old rubber boot seal. Water has been getting in behind it, travelling down inside it and coming out into the boot when it got to the bottom. The solution was clear silicone mastic all around the top & sides of the seal - to seal it! Not sure how long the mastic will last, as it's a bit of a bodge solution, but I don't fancy paying Toyota £150 for a new weather strip, unless I have to.

I'll be keepiing a weather eye on it

I suggest that anyone else with this issue could look here first, as it could be an easy, inexpensive fix.

• Like 4