Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

straight swap or not?

prob1

Hello there

have reached the point where my one and only key is unusable on my 2004 celica VVTi and it seems to be cheaper to swap out the ecu / bcm / barrels with a set from the bay than ordering a new key from Mr.T, I was wondering if anyone else has done this successfully or will something in the set need programming? 

Hi, Rob.

Many owners had got around this problem by doing something called the "pedal dance" with a used genuine key.

Haven't had the need to do this myself, so hopefully someone will be along to tell you more. If not, ask for details on the procedure on celica-club.co.uk

HTH:smile:

Hi Kev

problem is the key itself is knackered, the immob chip is all good, but the blade & housing have had it and im so forgetful i dont want just one key as im bound to lose it.

ive had 2 new blades cut but they will not work, numerous trips back to locksmiths for a tweak, all tolerances checked by myself with vernier and the keys were a match but the newly cut ones would not open the door or turn in the ignition, so i thought swapping for new barrels / immob ring / ecu set etc etc would sort it.

Are you sure the blade is correct?

For instance, when I was hunting around for a flip key for my old Mk1 Yaris, I found it had 3 different keyblades and transponder types for it and they all looked very similar but were mutually incompatible!

Have another look at your original and the cut ones and make sure the cuts and grooves on both sides of the flat of the keys match, not just the cuts on the edge!

If they do, then... I'm stumped. If not, is worth hunting around on eBay for the correct blank and getting that cut!

BTW, how much did Toyota quote you for a key? My old Mk1 seems to use a very similar style of key, and they quoted me something like £90 for the key and £30-70 for programming and cutting it (Depending on dealer; Jemca were very expensive, Hills were better.)

That's gotta be significantly cheaper than a new ECU and lock swap surely!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links