Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Jerky at low speeds

Rav4__Rich

Hi Friends ,

I have a 2005 RAV4 2000 vvti , 96k miles . Seems I have a strange fault only at low speeds . What happens is that when I'm doing about 20 - 30 Mph the car feels very jerky . I have to take my foot right off the accelerator to stop it .  It does not seem to make any difference even if I change down a gear ......  the tickover seems fine and it not moving around or jumping .

It does seem to be worse when the engines cold and the idles higher !!!!  .. I know this bit makes no sense ... but that whats happening . 

Driving faster and there's no issues at all ..

Hope someone may be able to help .

Many thanks in advance . Rich

I have a similar thing with mine (same engine), but only when cold, and with a nearly closed throttle going downhill.  Same speed range.  Always happens consistently.  I think it's something in the ide air control circuit. One could clean or change the Idle Air Control Valve, but it may not help.  If it's the firmware it's not going away.  I have learned to live with it.

Ian , many thanks , I will give cleaning the valve a try

Cheers

Try giving the mass airflow sensor a clean. Made a huge difference to ours. You can get some decent MAF cleaner online for around £10. It takes less than 20 minutes to get the part out, clean it and get it all reassembled.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update with a bit more info . I noticed that the rev counter is now jumping up and down when I am stationary . Goes from 500 rpm to 1400 rpm every few seconds about 5 times then settles down to a fast 1000 rpm tickover , when the cars warmed up this all stops though ......   does this sound like the issues mentioned above .....

Is it just the rev counter, or is it engine revs actually changing?

Hi , yes it is the engine RPM thats going up and down  not just the rev counter .

Sounds like the idle air control valve.  But cleaning the MAF is also a possibility.  So is the inlet air temperature sensor and the coolant temperature sensor (is the coolant at the correct level?).

Check all the valve/sensor connectors for security and cleanliness..  To clean, use contact cleaning spray, NOT WD40 (dirt magnet).

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links