Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Celica, what Oils are people using.

Hilltopcruiser

Hey Folks 

I've just bought a Celica,  my second toyota as I also own a 1.8 VVT-I Avensis 2009 which I've been very impressed with.  

I want to do an immediate oil change and not sure its been looked after previously.  I believe the engine is very similar to the Avensis though my Celica is 2002 so want to be sure I'm getting the best out of the car for economy and durability.  

Any Celica owners with tips,  I'm all open.  Got it for £1100 so possibly will have a few issues.  

Many thanks in advance.  

Justin 

Which Celica.??...140 or 190.? 

If it's the 140..read the link...http://www.celica-club.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/125889-boughtlooking-at-a-99-02-celica-140-gen7-read-this/

I always used 5w30 fully synthetic in mine and changed it every 6-7k miles ..Rad failures are not unheard of.

Overall a great driver's car... I had mine for 2 years and loved every minute of driving it...it was totally reliable too.

Hey Justin! Congrats on the Celica. I'm sure you're going to love it.
+1 for  Neils recommendation of fully synthetic 5w30 oil. 

The Celica isn't known for having many troubles overall.
- The most common issues are Radiator leaking (they normally go at the bottom around the corners and can be very slow leaks at first that can take weeks to notice)
- The rear shocks can collapse
- The boot tailgate  gas struts go

As Neil mentioned. If it's a 140 model, especially being 2002 pre-facelift. you really need to keep an eye on your oil level if you only just acquired the car to see if it has the dreaded oil burning issue.

Great thanks for the advice guys just ordered some edge 5w30, its having an oil change on Tuesday.  

Ok will definitely keep an eye on my oil level,  as it was a cheap private sale. Its the 2002 gen 7 140hp.  

IMG_20180409_174845.jpg

Lagoon is a great colour, Justin.

In case you weren't aware, Edge is half price at Tesco at the moment.

Have the brakes stripped/cleaned/greased ASAP. Brakes and tyres are the first two things to spend money on with the Gen 7.

Hope you have declared the Wheels and Spoiler as modifications to your Ins. Co.

Enjoy your new ride :smile:

Scarlett's post reminded me of one more thing to look out for..., the rear calipers are prone to corrosion / seizing.
Pagid do OEM refurbished ones should you ever need them. Mind you they aren't cheap!

1 hour ago, Scarlett Arrow said:

Those are some good prices for callipers! I paid more than double that to replace my two rear ones with Pagid OEMs!

So it is a definite I have at least 1 maybe 2 buckled alloys.  Got the tyre guy to put them on the back for the time being after balancing.  

However driving the car it has a bit of booming around 50 and 70+ 

What's the cheapest solution in the case?  

How easy is it to get new used alloys with confidence they won't be buckled?  Can you fix a buckle?  

Yes, it's just a matter of finding someone with the right pieces of kit. My local tyre place charges £25+VAT per wheel for straightening, then £7.50 for refitting the tyre, and balancing the wheel.

I had the GT alloys on mine when I bought the car, put them in to get refurbished a while back and all four were buckled so I had to pay another £100 on top of the price. I do know some of the alloys Toyota use are made of softer alloy hence the buckling. I just drive very carefully now and avoid potholes!