Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Glow plugs

Fuller30

I have a 56 plate toyota auris 2.0d4d and it struggles to start first thing in the morning how easy is it to change the glow plugs been quoted £300 From toyota 

Take a look through the Auris. Avensis, Rav4 & Verso threads for poor cold starting as Glow plug failure is rare ( also easy to confirm with a multimeter ) more likely is a faulty SCV ( suction control valve ) 

Is scv easy to change and find on the engine thanks 

• 2 weeks later...

Ordered a new suction control valve and blocked egr valve off can running fine just poor starting first thing then fine after that.

Fuel filter blocked? Or leaking air?

My brother in law used to have a diesel Jeep which needed a lot of cranking in the mornings. After a great deal of failed investigation, it turned out that a badly fitted fuel filter was allowing air to leak into the fuel line every night, so that when he started the car in the morning the fuel had dropped halfway back to the tank. And so the first thing the car had to do was pump it all back up to the engine. Took a lot of cranking. :blink:

I don't know whether this can still happen with current high pressure diesels - possibly not, because a high pressure fuel pump running on dry isn't a laughing matter. But don't jump to the injector conclusion just yet. When the car finally fires up, does it kick out smoke from the exhaust? Unburnt diesel from a failed injector is thick and smoky pale grey. Don't ask me how I know. (It was on a Ford Focus, not a Toyota.)

Good luck