Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Someone please help me??

dawsieboy84

Hi Everyone

I am getting really frustrated about this one issue with our 2005 D4D Rav4... it has two faults but no codes.

1. Jerky acceleration when low down in rev range

2. boost loss after hard acceleration. I intermittently change gear and get no acceleration until about 30 seconds later then WHOOSH it comes back to life?!

Had an indy check it out and he thought EGR but no boost leaks and turbo seems to working fine?!

Any advice would be great??

If it is doing it often I would watch live data while someone else drives it, to get the fault to occur.  Alternatively it could be something purely mechanical that will not flag a fault, or show in live data. I have had similar issues on vehicles with variable track inlet manifolds, were the flaps have shaken themselves to pieces. First thing though wouldn't be to watch the live data, especially: rail pressure, boost pressure, EGR & air mass at the same time (if EGR operates air mass should drop). You haven't mentioned mileage, as in, how many miles the vehicle has done.

It's done 140k miles and last week had a diagnostic done by Toyota! They said they are pretty sure it's SCV valves as it feels like fuel starvation plus there where no codes.

It's a 6 second flat spot you can count down every time. 

EGR, Turbo and MAF are working fine.

The diesel system on the Rav is reasonably "bomb proof" the (slight) Achilles heel is the suction control valve which on some application fails in such a prescribed way that it could almost be termed a "service item" in the same way as filters and plugs. When you replace the SCV you need to perform a "pump learn" proceedure.

Thanks Brave27.... just in case my indy doesn't know do you know the pump learn procedure?

• 1 month later...
On ‎16‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 9:45 PM, dawsieboy84 said:

Thanks Brave27.... just in case my indy doesn't know do you know the pump learn procedure?

Sorry, not signed in for a while... The procedure can definitely be performed with either the Bosch KTS series or, naturally enough, the Denso equipment.  We have had mixed results when trying with Snap-on Solus.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links