Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Transmission or shaking ratting flywheel clutch

R64

Hi, in my Rav4 IV 2013, 2.2 AWD diesel manual transmission i have from always this problem.

In the transition between first and second gear, by pressing the clutch the inertia of the engine generates a shaking in the transmission very evident. 

The impression is due to mechanical backlashes in the transmission, probably in the gears or in the transmission between clutch and gearbox. 

Or simply is the double disk clutch flywheel's damping system with its springs that produce such a scrap metal noise. 

I state that I drove a lot of vehicles in my life, cars, racing, trucks but a vehicle with a rattling transmission like my Rav had never happened to me

I wonder if a system to solve a problem with a better damping system 
or if it is a 'normal' feature of the Rav with manual transmission, as the Toy assistance told me

They all do it. It’s been put down to the size difference between first and second gears. 

Keith

12 hours ago, NORTHERN_LAD said:

They all do it. It’s been put down to the size difference between first and second gears. 

Keith

it could be, in fact the first one is very short.

I wonder if the shaking takes place just on the flywheel damping's springs  and if it could create issues on the rest of the transmission.

I also wonder if exists a clutch-flywheel kit that better cushions the shaking.

The Sachs ZF kit is well publicized by his-self regard to damping, but perhaps they are all the same..

Has the gearbox oil been changed recently, the gear change on mine got better when I changed it at around 60k miles on my previous RAV. I never had vibrations or shaking. My newer model has a better gear change but has only 38k miles.

With these boxes they have to have the correct  grade of oil and in UK it is not changed as part of the service schedule. 

On 14/4/2018 at 11:26 AM, NORTHERN_LAD said:

Has the gearbox oil been changed recently, the gear change on mine got better when I changed it at around 60k miles on my previous RAV. I never had vibrations or shaking. My newer model has a better gear change but has only 38k miles.

With these boxes they have to have the correct  grade of oil and in UK it is not changed as part of the service schedule. 

just for curiosity, what kind of oil is prescribed in the UK for the Rav of 2013 ?
provided that we have the same motorization ..
In Italy, is prescribed this kind: GL-4 and SAE 75W 

That’s the same as the UK specification. 

Castrol Syntrans is often especially recommended for Japanese gearboxes - try Syntrans FE 75W .

6 hours ago, IanML said:

Castrol Syntrans is often especially recommended for Japanese gearboxes - try Syntrans FE 75W .

I tried the additive BARDAHL T&D but i have not had great improvements
because my issue in my opinion does not depend on rough gearbox
but from the disk clutch flywheel's damping system with its springs that produces such a scrap metal noise
maybe it's a matter of finding a flywheel with a better damping system