Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auris hybrid tyre wear

Swwils

My auris 1.6 petrol had uniroyal rainexpert 2 on the back and dunlop sp fast response on the front. I changed and rotated the tyres a few years (approx 15,000 miles) ago, I put NEW Goodyear Efficient Grip Perfomance on the rear which came highly rated in all the mags/tyrereviews/auto bild tests and moved the dunlops to the front.

After 15,000 miles on the back with 5mm tread left, the Goodyears have cracks ALL AROUND the tyre in the tread of BOTH tyres. I got a decent deal on the goodyears and you will still see them for good prices, but they are absolutely rubbish. Now one of the goodyears is leaking air, I don't know if this is a puncture or whether one of these cracks has penetrated all the way through the tyre, Do not trust the tyre reviews, they just do a quick test for dry/wet braking and handling, not long term wear, so some tyres will get excellent results and be number 1 tyres like the Goodyear, but in real world use they are CRAP. Also have soft sidewall which is no good too!

The front Dunlop Fast Resoonse has now done approx 35,000 miles and still looks good, no major cracks and is down to 2mm. I replaced one of these for the Dunlop BluResponse so hope it will be as good as the Fast Response. Now the other one is low and am thinking to buy either

1) Dunlop Fast Response - a bit old so difficult to get, has low wear (> 35,000 miles in my experience) - Halfords still do it £62

2) Dunlop BluResponse - new version of the above - gets decent reviews, mine is only 3 months so a bit early to form an opinion - £54

3) Bridgestone Turanza T005 - £55 but no real reviews as it is a newish tyre,  small number of reviews indicate high wear rate

4) Hankook Ventus Prime 3 K125 - £59 but no real reviews, small number of reviews indicate average wear ~25,000 miles

5) Falken ZIEX ZE310 EcoRun - £53 but again no real reviews as new tyre, small number of review indicate high wear

The above are recommended by the 2018 Auto Bilt tests <- can I trust them after the debacle with the Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance debacle? (See http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2018-Auto-Bild-15-inch-Summer-Tyre-Test.htm)

Any one have any opinions on these tyres??

Thanks,

Zed

There are code numbers on tyres which state when they were made.  I wonder if your Goodyears could be older?

• Like 1

Any chance of photos of the cracks?  

Personally, I prefer all 4 tyres to be exactly the same - its not a legal requirement but what I like to do. Other then that I keep each axle the same, not just the same brand on a axle - its got to be the same tyre in all detail for me, and thats high priority for me..  Currently the wifes Auris Hyb has Continental on the back (dealer choice when I bought the car 2nd hand) and I put Evergreen on the front (used Evergreen for the last 6-7 years on various cars, van I had). My Prius has the same Nexan tyres on each corner.

In Europe Goodyear own the Dunlop brand and manufacture the tyres  for sale under the Dunlop brand. So Dunlop and Goodyear tyres will be very similar in terms of longevity, compound, etc.

I got Hankook ventus prime 3 K125. Got them beginning of this season, and i'm pretty satisfied with them.

They were bought after i spent 2-3 days checking the reviews of random tires, for the price offered they were a great buy. Made in Korea.  

I would say a bit harder in the beginning, maybe 500 km, after that they became silent.

Got 4k km on them now, no issues.

I had  Goodyear EfficientGrip & then EfficientGrip Performance tyres & they were fine.

I also had 1 pair (I also replace tyres on an axle together as a rule) out of several of Continental SportContact 5s that started cracking in a no. of places around the sides of the tyre - tyre depot reckoned that they were defectively manufactured but because they had had repairs done to them already (45 profile so very prone to damage) said that Conti would not consider a claim. It is possible that those particular Goodyears that you got may have been defective (also check the date of manufacture to see if whilst new to you they were perhaps several years old stock).

8 hours ago, alan333 said:

There are code numbers on tyres which state when they were made.  I wonder if your Goodyears could be older?

the code is normally 4 digits so if the code reads 3116 this means the tyre was made in week 31 of 2016

so its easy to know how old your tyres are.

On 5/23/2018 at 8:03 AM, alan333 said:

Made in 2014 from the code on the tyre week 39 so under 4 years old and cracked all the way around - see the video below!. The Dunlop ones are 2011 are have not major cracks and have worn really well!!!

On 5/23/2018 at 8:12 AM, Catlover said:

Any chance of photos of the cracks?  

Personally, I prefer all 4 tyres to be exactly the same - its not a legal requirement but what I like to do. Other then that I keep each axle the same, not just the same brand on a axle - its got to be the same tyre in all detail for me, and thats high priority for me..  Currently the wifes Auris Hyb has Continental on the back (dealer choice when I bought the car 2nd hand) and I put Evergreen on the front (used Evergreen for the last 6-7 years on various cars, van I had). My Prius has the same Nexan tyres on each corner.

https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=XZwXBj7ZCpAe1B85YeVrPWg93S07HmEk84ty    <-click for video from Toyota Bradford

On 5/23/2018 at 8:19 AM, FROSTYBALLS said:

In Europe Goodyear own the Dunlop brand and manufacture the tyres  for sale under the Dunlop brand. So Dunlop and Goodyear tyres will be very similar in terms of longevity, compound, etc.

Didn't know that, but the old Dunlops (SP fast response) on the car when I bought it seem to be very good, replaced one of them 3 months with Dunlop Bluresponse which is the successor but it's too early to tell what it will be like. Read Tyrereviews.co.uk and people seem to say they are good but like I said I don't do that many miles (8000/yr) so end up having same tyres for 3-4 years so hopefully they won't crack or perish. It's OK for high mileage people as they may use them up in a year or two so they don't have this problem.

On 5/23/2018 at 8:41 AM, furtula said:

I got Hankook ventus prime 3 K125. Got them beginning of this season, and i'm pretty satisfied with them.

They were bought after i spent 2-3 days checking the reviews of random tires, for the price offered they were a great buy. Made in Korea.  

I would say a bit harder in the beginning, maybe 500 km, after that they became silent.

Got 4k km on them now, no issues.

Not that many reviews, but what there is seems positive. I'm thinking of getting the Bluresponse as I already got one of the other side of the axle and not sure about using 2 different tyres (1x Hankook and 1 Bluresponse) in case it affects handling.

On 5/23/2018 at 12:56 PM, Heidfirst said:

I had  Goodyear EfficientGrip & then EfficientGrip Performance tyres & they were fine.

I also had 1 pair (I also replace tyres on an axle together as a rule) out of several of Continental SportContact 5s that started cracking in a no. of places around the sides of the tyre - tyre depot reckoned that they were defectively manufactured but because they had had repairs done to them already (45 profile so very prone to damage) said that Conti would not consider a claim. It is possible that those particular Goodyears that you got may have been defective (also check the date of manufacture to see if whilst new to you they were perhaps several years old stock).

They are 4 years old and have actually cracked all around in the tread as can be seen in the video. One is leaking air now, I don't know if it's a puncture or whether the crack has gone through the tyre. Was going to get it fixed tomorrow but reading your experience above, not sure if I should contact Goodyear or the place I got them from. 

I suspect that at 4 years old you won't get anything from either of them.

For those interested, I ended up with two new Conti Premium Contact 5 for my front axel.

The Goodyear warranty in the UK is five years from the date of manufacture and covers manufacturing defects. If the issue is due to ageing, this won't be a manufacturing defect.

On 5/25/2018 at 12:44 PM, FROSTYBALLS said:

The Goodyear warranty in the UK is five years from the date of manufacture and covers manufacturing defects. If the issue is due to ageing, this won't be a manufacturing defect.

Yes, that's what I've read on their website. I'm getting it MOT'ed in a couple of days and I'll take some pictures to send to Goodyear and see what they say about it. 

• 3 weeks later...

I got 3 new Dunlop Bluresponse fitted at a cost of £160 (at 77k miles) and have asked for the 2 Goodyear Efficient Performance to be sent to Goodyear (the other one replaced was a Dunlop Fastresponse). I'll post some more pictures of the tyres I took today showing the cracks and will let you guys know the response from Goodyear. The tread was still 5mm on both tyres. I tried posting a review on tyrereviews website a few weeks ago about what a lousy tyre the Goodyears have been  but it hasn't shown up and I'm not sure why....

The old Dunlop SP FastResponse is an awesome tyre...I covered ATLEAST 35k miles on it and there was still 2mm left on it and only small cracks/cuts after 7 years. A truely amazing tyre.

I also check the side walls of some tyres whilst I was in the tyre place. The Dunlop Blureponse have a pretty soft side wall, some like Continental are even softer, Brodgestone were also soft. The harder side walled tyres I found were Pirelli Centurato P7, Avon ZV7 and another one which I can't remember now but will write it here if I remember it. 

If anyone is looking for new tyres at the minute, ATS have an offer on the Pirelli tyres, 2 for £100 which is a pretty decent deal for premium tyres considering the budget ones are around £35-40.

• 2 weeks later...

• 11 months later...

Just a quick update, I got a letter from Goodyear giving me some money back for the tyres (55% for each one) so quite a good result even though it took a while.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When comes to tyres for our cars (Auris Hybrids) I have in mind two sets that I know well and use them over the years. Premium tyres my choice is : Goodyear efficient grip performance, the name give us the answer why and if you are on a budget I can recommend Kumho Ecsta HS51 , these are almost as cheap as budget tyres despite are rated mid range but easily can outperform top end models like Dunlop , Pirelli, Uniroyal etc.  Hankook tyres and Nexen also good. My winter tyres are Nexen winguard sport 2 , ultra quiet winter tyres , great for motorway journeys. 20 k miles with them and only down 1.5-2mm all 4 , I rotate them every 10k miles. For the Goodyear I had only done 12k miles and they are down about an millimetre, so far so good.