Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Air con stinks

Jeff fae Scotland

It really does.Seems the problem is a collection of  bacteria which i have read about.

Had a wee looky on you tube and did what a few had advised like,using an aircon conditioner and,

spraying down in to the aircon  with a dettol spray.

Does any body know where the aircon filter is as i would like to fit a new one.

Its a 2010 model with a 2200 d4d engine.Thank you in advance.

Pollen filter is behind the glovebox.  I can't remember if it's the T25 or T27 Avensis which has the damper screwed to it - (if yours has it then unscrew it) then squeeze the sides of the glovebox together and lower it down.  Unclip the filter housing and slide the filter out.  It's an easy job.

• Like 1

Thanks Alan for that will get it changed over the week end...cheers:smile:

Hi John, when I got my Rav, very low mileage but it had been sitting for a while and bacteria must of built up in the system. So after buying an antibacterial 'bomb' from Halfords, an air con reconditioner which once the top button is depressed the whole can empties itself so make sure all the windows are wound up, put the heating control onto 'recirculate' find a nice central place in the car to put it so now start the car, fan speed on full then let the bomb off and get out of the car as fast as you can, it works better with the pollen filter removed. I did have to do it twice the 2nd time using Dettol antibacterial spray squirting it in every heater slotted plastic entrance I could find, and the 2nd attempt did the trick. Doing this and a new filter should cure your problem. If you don't use the air con at all it will return so on a regular basis let the air con come on to let fresh air, control now set to fresh air, on a regular basis. Good luck. Mike.

I used the wurth can of disinfectant first 2 times (half can floods the evap tray nicely and then rinses it down the drainage pipe) i kept the tube that goes up the drainage pipe as it fits on a can of dettol spray. I disinfect it every spring and it lasts me through to winter when i don't use the aircon.

Spraying in air vents was waste of time. Go up the drainage vent.....use an old takeaway tub to stop it going over the carpet when refitting the drain into the grommet.

Just an update.Took the filter out and fitted a new one.This was followed by an air con "Bomb". This was about a week ago and ive noticed

a slight smell coming back.Plan of attack is,is to bomb it again and start running the air con now and again.

Thanks for your help......

I leave my air con on all year round, never had any smells.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have used the following in 3 of my cars so far, every single time with pretty much 100% instant success:

1. Checked cabin filter. If it looks bad, replace! If it didn't look clogged up, I usually brushed/hoovered off debris from it.

2. bought a can of Dettol disinfectant Aerosol! (comes in various scents now) (£3-4)

3. turned on the car, turned the A/C on, set the temperature to the warmest setting, made sure re-circulation was OFF, and set vents to full blast (the latter to create some suction from the air intake underneath the windscreen) and rolled all windows down (I usually opened the bootlid as well for maximum ventilation -> the point is to get the disinfectant through the air ducts, but then NOT to trap it in the cab, as it is not meant to be inhaled in a high concentration/confined space)

4. sprayed the content of the can in the air intake mesh from outside (the actual hole is on the passenger side underneath the windscreen). When the went is on full blast if I put my palm on the mesh, covering it a bit, I could always feel a tiny bit of a vacuum, that determines the best spot on where to spray. I sprayed for 10-15 seconds, then let it run through the system, then repeat. 

5. set temperature to cold, and repeated step 4. Note that one shouldn't stay in the car for long doing step 5! I ususally held my breath while doing this. The manufacturer (Dettol) is clear about NOT inhaling the product, on the can.

6. When the can started to feel low on juice, turned the temperature back to warm again and sprayed the rest to finish in the warm setting.

7. once the can was empty, I kept the car and vent running for a few more minutes on the warmest temperature setting.

8. IMPORTANT! I then shut off the car but left windows open and left it air for as long as I could  (up to 1-2 hours I'd say always did it for me) Best to chose a warm day for this, not a damp one. This is for the disinfectant to safely dilute in the air and out of the cabin.

8. IMPORTANT! I then shut off the car but left windows open and left it air for as long as I could  (up to 1-2 hours I'd say always did it for me) Best to chose a warm day for this, not a damp one. This is for the disinfectant to safely dilute in the air and out of the cabin.

While the cabin was airing I turned on the car 1-2x and had the vents on full blast for a minute,  temperature still turned to warm (in case any of the content of the can would still be present in the system in a liquid form.)

Once I could no longer smell the disinfectant strongly in the car if I sat in, I was pretty much done. 

Usually done this at work, and drove home with at least 2 windows slightly down so there is a good enough air circulation.

After doing this, each and every time I noticed a 100% improvement in not smelling mouldy damp odours coming from the vents. I'd say if the problem persists there might be standing water trapped in the system somewhere.

Worse case was my old Almera in which the previous owner clearly never used the aircon, and every time I tried to turn it on, the smell in the car was horrible, and I thought there was  absolutely no way to sort it without a professional cleaning procedure for ££££ The problem was sorted with 1 application of the above.

Hi,

Have used the air con Bombs, and they do work to a degree, but last time I ordered one of these which you follow the simple and easy  directions and place the tube down the central air vent so it reaches nearer the matrix , then you spray in the foam and leave it a while.

Works very well, no heavy after smell like the bombs and its lasted about 2 years as only just started to notice that smell again.

Not bad for a tenner, available many places, Micks  on offer of 2 for £14.40 delivered  etc

000953.jpg

000952.jpg

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links