Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Power steering fluid location

m456an

My impression was my car uses electric steering, and it does not have a power steering fluid reservoir. But reading my mot history I saw a failure due to psf being low. Though I sailed through my last mot with no advisories, which was good news last week but I am a little confused?

What is the model and year of your vehicle? Ian

I thought that Avensis from Mk2 to date had electric power steering (EPS), 2003 - onwards. 

To be sure, there should be EPS warning light that normally illuminates with other warning lights on startup. This usually means the car has EPS. 

Next, check if the following components are missing or present in the engine bay.

If hydraulic, there should be a reservoir with pipes leading to a pump. The serpentine belt should pass around the pulley to the pump. From the pump, there should be pipes to the steering rack.

EPS systems only plain rack with nothing extra attached. The electric motor is mounted on the column in the cabin of the car. If you look up from the pedals, you will see the motor.

Here is an image of the Avensis power steering - http://www.japan-parts.eu/toyota/eu/2004/avensis/zzt251r-almekw/3_273550_054_223W/powertrain-chassis/4501_steering-column-shaft

I wonder if the tester mistaken another reservoir for the power steering, or the car has a hydraulic system? 

• Thanks 1

Haynes manual says there is one, but I did not see it where it said it was 

https://haynes.com/en-gb/car-manuals/toyota/avensis/2003-2010/on-demand/18vvt-i-petrol/checking-steering-fluid

P.S

So you can understand my confusion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, m456an said:

Haynes manual says there is one, but I did not see it where it said it was 

https://haynes.com/en-gb/car-manuals/toyota/avensis/2003-2010/on-demand/18vvt-i-petrol/checking-steering-fluid

P.S

So you can understand my confusion.

I have looked at the photos, and they seem to be of the diesel variant, not the 1.8 vvti engine. Look at the engine cover, is it the same as yours? WOnder if Haynes has made an error. Take a few photos of yous engine bay. Any other Mk2 owners both diesel and petrol please confirm what power steering system on the car.

Edited by Konrad C
Additional words
  • Thanks 1

Not all mk2 Avensises are electric, 2.0 and 2.4 is hydraulic. (I have a D-4 with hydraulic power steering) That being said, I thought the 1.8 was electric

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There is a space where the reservoir should be, so it is electric. Haynes are wrong about the 1.8. Though I believe the electric does use fluid but it is hidden deep in the car. I am guessing the mot was done by a cowboy sometimes mot people lie, and can be lazy lies. I know in one garage I got a mot failure for Ford Focus for £800 years later I tried to learn about cars and than I looked at it again and I realised that they probably did not even bother looking at the car and made all car advisories reasons for failure and forgot about the bad exhaust and bad wheel bearing.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, m456an said:

There is a space where the reservoir should be, so it is electric. Haynes are wrong about the 1.8. Though I believe the electric does use fluid but it is hidden deep in the car. I am guessing the mot was done by a cowboy sometimes mot people lie, and can be lazy lies. I know in one garage I got a mot failure for Ford Focus for £800 years later I tried to learn about cars and than I looked at it again and I realised that they probably did not even bother looking at the car and made all car advisories reasons for failure and forgot about the bad exhaust and bad wheel bearing.

There is no fluid, the steering is driven by a motor which engages directly with the steering column, this applies to the 1.6 & 1.8 vvti the diesels 2.0 & 2.4 vvt all had traditional Hydraulic PAS.

And just for general info:

All MK1 where Hydraulic PAS

All Mk3 are electric shaft type PAS

• Thanks 2

• 2 years later...

Hi I'm wondering where I put the power steering fluid in my 2009 avensis thank you 

Isn't the answer in Devon Aygo's last post - the one prior to yours.

• Haha 2

2009 is the Mk3, right? It doesn't have hydraulic power steering

On 2/17/2021 at 7:17 PM, xzirri said:

2009 is the Mk3, right? It doesn't have hydraulic power steering

Correct. Mk3 T27 are all electric power steering. When the car is turned to IGN the EPS warning light comes on with other warning lights for a few seconds, or turn off when the engine is switch on. It is covered in the owners manual, unless the owner has not referred to it or it not passed to to the next owner with the car! 
It's just that some owners are not aware of every feature of the cars they own.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links