Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sparking Plugs

Lola Zamoi

I have a problem. There does seem to be some confusion with sparking plugs for my car. That is, the Toyota Avensis 2000 Hatchback 1.8 VVTI model. I found NGK IFR6T-11 plugs fitted.

I checked the handbook and it said DENSO K16R-11, NGK BKR5EYA-11. My mind went ?????? Then I realized the plugs were fitted by a Dealership. They fitted the NGK IFR6T-11 plug, a Iridium plug. I checked the tips of the plugs and was not too happy, there was something a little wrong as the plugs were not burning right, overheating to my eye.

I have asked Toyota to comment, whether I could or should use Iridium plugs on the engine. So far I have heard nothing but have been given the correct Toyota Part numbers. That is right, they have done the right thing by the book.

Does anyone have knowledge of the Iridium plug in the Toyota 2000 1.8 VVTI hatchback, if so, what is the correct number.

Thanks for your time

Mike

Moved to the Avensis club.

Hi Mike, 

I don't own an Avensis, but sometimes if I have had any NGK queries in the past I have tried their technical helpline, they have always been very useful and interested.  Google will give the number, they are in Hemel Hempstead, but only around weekdays, as you would expect. 

I'm not sure if the heat range number of an Iridium NGK can be directly compared to a conventional NGK plug, but, if it is,  a 6 is a actually a slightly cooler running plug than a 5. There is probably a good reason for that that NGK would be happy to explain. 

You probably know that Denso is part-owned by Toyota, so the engine will have originally been specified with their plugs. 

HTH. 

When I look at the Toyota parts catalogue the only Spark plug listed is Denso K16-Ru11 from factory the car would have been fitted with part number:

90080-91193 Which are Denso K16-RU11

these were replaced by

90080-91193-83 ( the -83 denotes an alternative source possibly the NGK but the catalogue does not elaborate )

these have been replaced by 

90080-91194 which are again Denso K16-RU11

Do you have an invoice from Toyota with the Spark plugs listed if so what was the part number?

Also the NGK IFR6T-11 don't cross refer to the VVTi engine, they do match the earlier 1.8 non VVTi though 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Devon Aygo said:

When I look at the Toyota parts catalogue the only Spark plug listed is Denso K16-Ru11 from factory the car would have been fitted with part number:

90080-91193 Which are Denso K16-RU11

these were replaced by

90080-91193-83 ( the -83 denotes an alternative source possibly the NGK but the catalogue does not elaborate )

these have been replaced by 

90080-91194 which are again Denso K16-RU11

Do you have an invoice from Toyota with the Spark plugs listed if so what was the part number?

Also the NGK IFR6T-11 don't cross refer to the VVTi engine, they do match the earlier 1.8 non VVTi though 

I agree with Lee. The only spark plugs I would fit are K16R-U11. Even the Haynes manual gets it right and only states the correct Denso plugs for all the engines for the Mk1 Avensis. 
I did a check with NGK's part catalogue search and they list a totally different spark plug - BKR5EYA-11 recommended, BKR5EIX-11 upgrade. 
https://www.ngkpartfinder.co.uk/car_commercial_extra.php?id=16985

The wrong spark plugs ( NGK IFR6T-11) were fitted, and the OP is right to be concerned.  

Thanks to one and all. I have junked the NGK IFR6T-11 and replaced them with the Denso K16R-U11 as stated in the handbook. I have noticed an immediate difference in the engine, the response and idle. To me, the engine is a lot more happy now.

I wish I did have the actual invoice from the dealer. In the place of I have a type of job sheet that shows what has been done and the cost of each, plus labour. While it says 'set of plugs' it does not state what was actually fitted. Never mind, as long as my Toyota is smiling now I can drive feeling safe.

Long live Toyota

• Like 1

Well, I will certainly watch this. I WILL fit the plugs myself with instructions to any dealer NEVER to put a spanner near the fitted plugs. My car may be 18 years old. It is more comfortable than the newer version, and as the saying was back then 'The car in Front is a Toyota'

Thanks again

Another very puzzling factor has turned up regarding spark plugs. A car - Toyota fitted with Bosch plugs.

A box of 4 plugs Bosch Super 4 FR 78 X. A multi point plugs at the base. Open the box and there are 4 boxes of Bosch Super 4 FR 78 X. Open those plug boxes and one finds 4 Super Plus plugs FR6KPP33X +54 with U tube base. The owner of the Toyota was totally  confused. What plug had been supplied.5ad5aeda0fbcb_IMAG09041.thumb.jpg.d8557135faa45f83811e8ff6df4c1afd.jpg

IMAG0898[2].jpg

IMAG0899[1].jpg