Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

T180 smoking again !!!

rdy416

Hey all has anyone got any ideas please before I go to Toyota.

Basically the story of my car is I bought it last September and have had this smoking issue. The garage I bought it from wanted nothing to do with it as it was near the end of its three month warranty at the time.

I’ve had a reconditioned turbo done my original housings just a new cartridge fitted due to a suspected seal leaking. That lasted a month before the rubber reducer ring on the air intake pipe got sucked through and destroyed the compressor wheel

714e6f70e64e7333d2846cdc0fe8b9b2.jpg

The garage then rebuilt the turbo again and I had a new dpf because they told me my original one had been gutted. Which upon removal and several hundred pounds in buying the new dpf and pipes it turned out it hadn’t. So I had the new one fitted because it was the modified version with the larger bore short pipe which apparently was done because they suffered with back pressure issues ???

Anyway I’d been running about with the dpf injector unplugging previous to having the new dpf installed because the smoke was so bad. The garage hadn’t plugged it back in and I hadn’t had any issues or smoke. Came back from my holiday Friday morning driving down the m25 dashboard lights up like a Christmas tree.

I got home plugged the car in got a p2002 code so I plugged the injector back in and cleared the code and ever since tons of smoke again even tonight when I drove 120 miles from my dads in Kent to home in Suffolk it would intermittently belch out a cloud of smoke.

Any ideas on this because it’s getting a tad annoying I’d be most grateful

Ross

Regardless of the three-month warranty, you actually had better protection under the Consumer Rights Act 2015, where if a fault develops within the first six months, the fault is assumed to have been there at the time of sale and puts the onus on the dealer to repair. See 'the first six months' section of the following - https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act#the-first-six-months

Obviously beyond the first six months now, but worth knowing for any future purchase.

Regardless of the three-month warranty, you actually had better protection under the Consumer Rights Act 2015, where if a fault develops within the first six months, the fault is assumed to have been there at the time of sale and puts the onus on the dealer to repair. See 'the first six months' section of the following - https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act#the-first-six-months
Obviously beyond the first six months now, but worth knowing for any future purchase.

Oh right I never knew that thanks

When a new DPF is fitted the engine ECU must have the previous DPF "learned" values reset otherwise it will continue to treat the new DPF as an old one, this will damage a new DPF very quickly & running with the 5th injector disabled means regens will not complete fully hence the Smoke & P2002 blocked DPF fault so soon.

Also has the Engine ECU software been updated with the latest software? 

When a new DPF is fitted the engine ECU must have the previous DPF "learned" values reset otherwise it will continue to treat the new DPF as an old one, this will damage a new DPF very quickly & running with the 5th injector disabled means regens will not complete fully hence the Smoke & P2002 blocked DPF fault so soon.
Also has the Engine ECU software been updated with the latest software? 

Hi thanks for your reply can any garage reset the dpf values or is that a main agent thing only? I unplugged the 5th injector because it was smoking so badly due to the amount of fuel being pumped in I assume.

I unplugged it as I didn’t want it ruining the new dpf as it wasn’t cheap. I can appreciate the p2002 code is down to the injector being unplugged and can’t regenerate.

As far as I’m aware it hasn’t I’m gonna try and speak to a technician at Toyota on Monday as the car is going in for it’s air bag recall

• 1 month later...

Hey all little update the car went to Toyota for the airbag whilst it was there I asked about the “learned” values being reset but the technician didn’t understand my what was meant coming third hand from the lady on the desk but to diagnose the problem wanted £90 per hour. 

Anyway I continued to run the car with the dpf injector unplugged no issues or fault codes. Until a week ago the car started revving on idle to 1000 rpm and wouldn’t drop.

I plugged my laptop in on techstream to diagnose the problem thinking it was maf or a temp sensor but everything seems ok apart from a fault I found for the egr? If anyone has any ideas on this new fault I’d appreciate any help

Anyway I found a function to reset the dpf values so I’ve reset it plugged the injector back in and gone for a drive so far all seems good no smoke so il see what happens tonight when I drive the 28 miles to work.

Another update I drove to work absolutely fine not a single puff of smoke drove home got within 200 yards of my house and it started smoking again 😡

I drove it later thinking it was just regerating drove for about half hour keeping the revs up and the smoke got worse. So have now given up and have booked it in with Ipswich Toyota next Wednesday.

But I’ve unplugged the injector again to save my diesel literally being spat out the exhaust and no smoke again. Something has got to be causing it to smoke like it does. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links