Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Avensis Tourer Repair Costs

speedwaydthom

Just had my car returned following 90,000 mile service (purchased from new June 2010) with several warning notifications on the visual inspection report. These included :-

• Front to rear brake pipes slightly corroded
  • Front suspension lower arm rear bushes (n/s and o/s) slightly deteriorated

Just thinking about likely costs over next 10 months before 100,000 service due.

Does anyone have any comments about above observations please in terms of likely cost and how long I should wait before having these jobs done by dealer or independent? Warranty runs out June 2019 (or 100,000 miles if earlier) so it might need to be a dealership job.

As this model is now discontinued, I'm not ready yet to embrace hybrid technology and would prefer to hang on to this car as long as possible - so long as it doesn't start to cost an arm and a leg to maintain

8 minutes ago, speedwaydthom said:

As this model is now discontinued, I'm not ready yet to embrace hybrid technology and would prefer to hang on to this car as long as possible - so long as it doesn't start to cost an arm and a leg to maintain

I am sure that there will still be stock around though & indeed you may be able to get a good run out deal ...

4 minutes ago, Heidfirst said:

I am sure that there will still be stock around though & indeed you may be able to get a good run out deal ...

I might well have been tempted to do that, but wouldn't feel as confident with the BMW engine particularly bearing in mind some of the comments I have read on this forum. I was told off the record by a Toyota sales person that there had been a swap of technology between Toyota and BMW. BMW got the Toyota hybrid technology and in return gave Toyota the BMW diesel engine. Neither company however provided their latest technology. Don't know how true it is but certainly it appears there have been a few criticisms of the engine in terms of reliability.

I went back to a petrol Avensis from a 2.2 diesel. Fuel economy is down ~10% fom the 2.2 (probably more from a 2.0 diesel) but of course is cheaper to buy. Also no DPF, DMF, turbo, intercooler etc. to worry about for the future.

Unlikely to be banned from/charged in future city low emission zones for the foreseeable future.

You aren't a high mileage (where diesel still does make sense) driver so maybe worth a think?

46 minutes ago, Heidfirst said:

I went back to a petrol Avensis from a 2.2 diesel. Fuel economy is down ~10% fom the 2.2 (probably more from a 2.0 diesel) but of course is cheaper to buy. Also no DPF, DMF, turbo, intercooler etc. to worry about for the future.

Unlikely to be banned from/charged in future city low emission zones for the foreseeable future.

You aren't a high mileage (where diesel still does make sense) driver so maybe worth a think?

Many thanks - good point.

It will seem strange driving a petrol engine again after 20 odd years of diesel. Would certainly increase my risks of contaminated fuel supply at the pumps after all this time:)

26 minutes ago, speedwaydthom said:

It will seem strange driving a petrol engine again after 20 odd years of diesel. 

It does. You will definitely miss the low down torque - especially moving off from rest.

Also, if you do consider petrol possibly look at the Mazda 6 2.0 petrol - it & the Avensis are pretty much the only 2 naturally aspirated (so no turbo etc. for long term simplicity ) petrol estates of that size available.

31 minutes ago, Heidfirst said:

Also, if you do consider petrol possibly look at the Mazda 6 2.0 petrol 

I second that.  We currently have a Mazda 3 with the same 2.0 petrol engine as fitted to the 6... and it has quite a lot of low down torque.  Ours is the 120bhp model, but apparently it's only the mapping that's different between that and it's higher output sister, and the extra horses are only at high revs.

Funnily enough I very much like the shape and design of the Mazda 6 Estate so maybe that is one to look at. Our local Toyota dealership also has a Mazda franchise so that would be quite handy.

Appreciate the comments thank you

In case you are tempted to look at the Mazda 6 diesel be aware that it has gained a bit of a bad reputation for the DPF contaminating the oil with fuel if it isn't allowed to fully regenerate. & I don't think that Mazda UK has dealt with it as well for the customer as Toyota did with the AD series head/head-gasket issue ... & the warranty is shorter.

maybe worth a read https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/mazda/6-2013/

Also previously had diesels but bought petrol avensis estate this time round due to hopefully better reliability for my relatively low mileage. Looked at Mazda (and octavia/superb) but Toyota's longer warranty and closer dealership swung it for me.  1.8 petrol is fine unless you really drive hard or live where there are lots of hills!  Average MPG is gradually going up now weather is warming and me and the car are settled in to each other.  Standard relatively short (but not stop start) journeys get 38-42 mpg.  Longer dual carriageways at steady speeds 45-48 if I drive nicely.  Hope to get that up a bit more over time and into summer. 

Miss some elements of the diesels in terms of power at pull away etc but not sad I swapped to petrol.  Like the non turbo engine feels solid/reliable but we'll wait to see on the reliability!!!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, speedwaydthom said:

I was told off the record by a Toyota sales person that there had been a swap of technology between Toyota and BMW. BMW got the Toyota hybrid technology and in return gave Toyota the BMW diesel engine. Neither company however provided their latest technology.

The co-operation between Toyota and BMW originally involved the hybrid Battery technology and the sharing of BMW diesel engines (Toyota didn't have a 1.6 diesel to effectively compete with other manufacturers in Europe). Didn't include the hybrid drivetrain.

It partnership was later expanded to include vehicle electrification, hydrogen fuel cells, lightweight materials and the development of a new sports cars to fit above the GT86 - the new Supra/Z4.

As far as I'm aware the only sharing of the hybrid drivetrain has been with Nissan and Mazda, where the drivetrain was used in the Nissan Altima and the Mazda 3 hybrids under licence.

This year Toyota have decided to withdraw diesel engines from their passenger vehicles in Europe - diesels dropped from the Yaris and Auris ranges already, and the Verso and Avensis ceasing production in the first quarter of 2018.

On 16/04/2018 at 12:24 PM, speedwaydthom said:

Would certainly increase my risks of contaminated fuel supply at the pumps after all this time:)

Normally only happens the other way around, as the diesel pump have a larger nozzle, which doesn't fit into the petrol filler. I was wary of the possible problem after I swapped to petrol, so far so good. Drop in power is the main moan, but dont regret leaving all the DPF, turbo etc worries behind.