Do Not Sell My Personal Information

T sport vvtli ticking noise under load???

Bluebullet04

Hi guys I wondered if anyone could help me out with an issue I have with the old corolla. Basically it's making a light ticking noise under load. The noise is sometimes there on start up for about half a second but most apparent when just blipping the throttle. It's not that load but extremely annoying. It occurs pretty much every time you apply any load in gear or at idle. It's seems to be more noticeable since refitting the cat in the exhaust giving more back pressure. Kind of led me to believe I possibly have a slight blow around the exhaust manifold but I'm not sure tbh. If anyone could shed any light on it id be most appreciative. Cheers guys.

Moved to the Corolla club.

Hello.

While back i've had same problem, turned out it was exhaust pipe gasket. Part nr 17451-22050.

I saw this on a prior car. It was the manifold gasket leaking. However, I've also seen it happen on another car where a Coil Pack located on the spark plug was discharging to the metal of the engine creating a "ticking" noise. Replaced the coil pack and it was silenced.

• 2 weeks later...

I was gonna say the 2ZZ ain't the quietest engine. The Injectors are quite noisy also. Could also the the VVTI system (Not the Lift) some people have noticed that clogged filter causes ticking of the VVTI cam during idle, When you unplug the solenoid behind the alternator the ticking stops confirming the fault. Just keep on top of oil changes if it is and use good oil and filter.

• Like 1

I've put 1/2 pint of 0W/30 in an engine in the past where a VVT (Variable Valve Timer) was clogged with old oil deposits. This cleaned it out pretty quickly and let the engine regain it's smooth running because these newer expensive synthetic Oils have some detergent in which helps disperse thicker oil. May be worth a try.

Please don't use any Oil other than 5W-30 or 5W-40. I know someone who used 0W oil cause engine failure at the top then changed to normal weight oil which then cause bottom end failure.

That would only make sense with a complete oil change to thinner oil and then completely blasting and ragging the engine. Adding a small amount of thinner new modern 0W/30 with its added cleaners will not cause engine failure. However if you also change completely to thinner oil in a car based in a very hot climate it may cause quicker deterioration of moving engine components.