Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Noise from Air Con compressor bearing

showbeastie

Anyone else had this issue?

So it looks like the bearing on the AC compressor is on its way out, by making a loud noise. I've looked at various options, having a chat with my mechanic and looking on the internet. Choices include: changing the bearing (if I can get my hands on the actual kit here in UK), by-passing the compressor altogether by trying to get a shorter drive belt (will lose AC, but live in Northern Ireland so its not a problem 😁), or changing out the compressor (complicated and horrendously expensive). I'll keep you all posted on events.

By the way, would anyone know the size of belt for an non-aircon 2004 2L vvti engine?

Contacted my local auto-spare shop and they quoted me £12.80+VAT for the shorter non-aircon belt. Toyota quoted me £300+VAT for a reconditioned compressor! Happy to live without AC 👍

All sorted. Bypassed the AC compressor with the shorter belt and no more nasty noise. Popped out fuse and will get AC system drained soon. Engine runs great. Nice cheap fix (if a little fiddly).

What about next winter when your windscreen fogs-up?

Sorry, what do you mean about window fogging up? The ac is never used. Heater and blower still work as usual. 

On 18/04/2018 at 9:37 AM, IanML said:

What about next winter when your windscreen fogs-up?

27 minutes ago, showbeastie said:

Sorry, what do you mean about window fogging up? The ac is never used. Heater and blower still work as usual. 

Air con used with the heater produces drier air and more effective demisting in the cooler months. Using air con regularly throughout the year keeps the seals lubricated, reducing leaks, etc.

You don't say if the noise was present all the time.

I would have thought that when the A/C was turned off then main compressor shaft would not be driven, just the electromagnetic clutch would be spinning.

Just a thought.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for info folks.

The noise was there all the time until the AC was switched on, then it would go.

I suspect the lack of use by previous owners may have led to the bearing going.

Pity, because the AC seemed to work great (but did eat through the fuel).

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links