Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2017 Yaris with MirrorLink or Android auto

AlfK

Hello,

I recently bought a new Yaris 1.5 auto with Touch and Go fitted with an understanding that if I had the right smartphone (at present an LG G3S with android 5.0.2), I could use it with either mirrorlink via the usb port or perhaps android auto displaying supported apps on the main car multimedia screen.

To date I cannot get the phone to either:

Show me anything to do with Mirrorlink when I connect with a usb cable, nor

Android auto does not show any connection to my phone either?

I have spent ages talking to Toyota multimedia support - who tell me I should be able to use mirrorlink via my car's multimedia display, so long as phone supports it, also suggesting I look at the mirrorlink website for compatible phones - which I have done and only the LG G4 phone is listed there.

Also many hours trawling the web for android auto support for my Toyota Yaris - all I can find most recently is a claim by Google that their app now supports ALL SMARTPHONES connected with a suitable quality usb cable to a multimedia system using the latest version of their app?

Being reasonably tech savvy OAP can anyone assist me with my connection problem? From what I have come across on forums online when searching for connecting my phone to my yaris' system, Toyota seem to be way behind with mirrorlink and android auto support - unless anyone on this forum can advise me otherwise.

PS. I have even researched the possibility of sourcing a refurbished LG G4 for £130, but am reluctant in parting with this amount of cash, when I could still have connectivity 'issues' with my car's multimedia system

I also have a 2017 yaris and as far as I am aware mirror link is no longer supported as it has been superceded by android auto. 

Then android auto is not supported in the yaris. This along with the driving position/seat is one of my biggest gripes with the yaris compared to its competitors. A real shame. 

Hi, thanks for your reply.......

According to my contact with Toyota multimedia support last week my 2017 Yaris should support Mirrorlink - they say so long as I use a compatible smartphone, so your first response about the 2017 Yaris not supporting mirrorlink confuses me?

I love my Yaris' driving position, so much so that this is my 2nd Yaris within last 6 years! ............sorry to hear you don't find it similar.

48 minutes ago, AlfK said:

Hi, thanks for your reply.......

According to my contact with Toyota multimedia support last week my 2017 Yaris should support Mirrorlink - they say so long as I use a compatible smartphone, so your first response about the 2017 Yaris not supporting mirrorlink confuses me?

I love my Yaris' driving position, so much so that this is my 2nd Yaris within last 6 years! ............sorry to hear you don't find it similar.

Regarding mirror link I meant it was replaced with android auto and therefore it has not been updated nor is it compatible with newer android versions. For this reason even if you got it 'working' it is unlikely to be as smooth and functional as you'd like/expect. 

Watch a few YouTube videos on mirror link working and you'll see unfortunately it isn't the best system. I have used android auto and it is vastly superior so its a shame toyota aren't supporting it yet. 

Firstly Toyota do not currently support either Android auto nor Apple car play so neither of these functions will work.

Second whilst Mirrorlink is supported there is a but! There are two versions of Mirrorlink:

Version 1.0 This is supported fully but is only included on older Phones Such as a Samsung Galaxy S3 ( With "drivelink" app installed ) and a few old Nokia Symbian phones ( can't say which as i have never seen one.

Version 1.1 were only partial support is offered but is installed in most modern Android phones, the reason for partial support is due to safety concerns from Toyota, Mirrorlink version 1.0 prevents excessive interaction with the Touch screen when the vehicle is in motion where as Version 1.1 removed this limitation allowing Video playback and text input when the car is in motion something which Toyota obviously has concered about so they had to take measures and put in restrictions on Phones or applications that would allow such activities. 

Any phone that does not restrict access in motion is blocked and the same applies for applications on compatible phones so finding a phone and applications that are compatible is a tedious affair.

I believe Toyota have stopped any further development of Mirrorlink support in favour of their own solution called Smart Device Link : http://www.toyota-global.com/innovation/smart_mobility_society/smart_device_link/

1 hour ago, Devon Aygo said:

I believe Toyota have stopped any further development of Mirrorlink support in favour of their own solution called Smart Device Link : http://www.toyota-global.com/innovation/smart_mobility_society/smart_device_link/

That video made me cringe! Exactly how many children are driving around in Toyota motors?

1 hour ago, Devon Aygo said:

There are two versions of Mirrorlink:

Version 1.0 This is supported fully but is only included on older Phones Such as a Samsung Galaxy S3 ( With "drivelink" app installed ) and a few old Nokia Symbian phones ( can't say which as i have never seen one.

You had me going there. I still use Nokia's Symbian swansong, the 700 (with amoled screen, etc.) so thought I could use mirrorlink. It didn't work, but then I only have the first version of  Touch and Go.

12 hours ago, Devon Aygo said:

Firstly Toyota do not currently support either Android auto nor Apple car play so neither of these functions will work.

<snip>

& yet apparently Entune 3 (Toyota's infotainment system in N. America) will support at least CarPlay for 2019MY.

Hi Devon Aygo

Can I confirm that if I had an S3 phone I would be able to connect to my 2017 yaris' Touch 2 system via mirrorlink and run google maps or waze?

Unfortunately nothing is guaranteed I last used a GS3 with Google maps last year and it worked, never used Waze so no idea, as software changes so fast and Toyota no longer supporting the platform who knows if it will still work

Hi Devon Aygo

Thanks for the reply - when you say 'GS3' do you mean the Samsung S3, as this is what I thought you meant in your earlier post? I am a bit of a OAP luddite when it comes to mobiles....:cool::laugh:

Hi everyone. I dug into this subject about a year ago. Did have an S3 and also an S4 galaxy to play with. Managed to get the mirrorlink work on both with custom rom etc. The issue is it is very slow laggy if you like. Google map showing approaching a roundabout when you are alredy left it behind. The Touch2 system is a very very outdated buggy thing unfortunatelly. Toyota here in ireland telling you only one thing. We forwarded your enquiry to our multimedia department bla bla bla. Equals with zero solution. They arent able to give you a proper answer even to a simple question of what file formats are supported to play from a flash drive. 

Not to mention should the drive be formatted to Fat16 or 32 or extfat or ntfs...

What is the maximum capacity of the drive what ,ou could use.

Folders are recognized or not...

I was playing with all the above mentioned stuff with several different flashdrives. Using m3u files. Following many many guides even from overseas.

Not much success unfortunatelly. 

The car is brilliant. I love it. The radio system is a disaster. A €40-50 cheap radio outperform it no doubt. 

At the moment iam trying to figure out how to keep the reverse camera function with a replacement headunit.

Since we have the brillian hybrid assistant app avaliable that is the one and only function what i would miss when i reallocate this touch thing into a suitable waste bin.

If anybody managed to get the camera working or just located a working harmess for an afteemarket radio with camre input let me know please.

Kind regards

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links