Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Knocking front suspension

shogunswb

I've got a knocking noise coming from the passenger side front suspension which is a bit strange.

It normally only happens when turning right on a bumpy surface, very rarely does it happen in a straight line & never when turning left.

It's not the sort of noise I would normally associate with a worn ball joint, cv etc more like something just rattling around & quite heavy & I've had the wheel off & given it a good wiggle, lever & turn but can't find anything & I can't feel the knock feed back through the steering.

Had a look on the US Scion site & they are reporting that quite a few of the shock absorber nuts have come loose on the top mount but that the dealers are replacing the whole strut when really it just needs the nut tightening & a bit of thread lock applied but I have just had a quick look & there seems to be a top cover over the nut which doesn't seem too keen to budge so not sure if the UK standard struts are sealed.

Does anyone have a workshop diagram of the front suspension or has anyone changed the front struts & can offer some advice?

Cheers

At what speed does it happen and are you anywhere near full lock on the steering?

Craig.

Can happen at any speed and at any lock.  It's not the cv that's the problem.

iQ's are well known for knocking noises on full lock as the steering turns so tightly the tyres can't move on the same arc so one has to slip on the road surface causing some quite horrible sounds and bumps. 

I will look at the workshop manual soon and see if I can post a picture of the strut assembly.

Craig.

It could be one the drop-link for the antiroll bar?

Thats brilliant thank you.

Now I know its a dust cover as I suspected, I can be a little more forceful with it.

I'll try & have a look tomorrow & report back.

It was the top nut that was loose, I just removed it with my fingers.  Its not a lock nut as I would have expected so just used some thread lock & put it back on as tight as I could which wasn't too tight because the shock strut just turns after a bit but I undid the other side whilst at it & that only required a quick ***** on the socket bar to get it loose.

You need to remove all the plastic bits at the bottom of the screen, then the metal tray underneath the plastic which is only a few 10mm bolts to get clear access to the top of the strut.

I thought that the ring the nut is sitting on in the photo was the dust cap but only when you get clear sight did I realise that there is a rubber cap in the middle so don't make that mistake as I did.  No damage done & rattling gone.

Thanks again Craig for the photo's they were a great help.

IMG_1422.jpg

• Like 3

Censorship gone mad.

Lets see if tug or pull are ok instead

I was wondering what word you used there....
Glad you got it sorted and one to remember for the future.

In order to do the nut up tighter I think you can insert an Allen key in the end of the shaft in order to hold it while you do up the nut. Off course you will need a ring spanner to do this and not a socket.

Craig.

• 8 months later...
On 4/19/2018 at 9:34 AM, shogunswb said:

It was the top nut that was loose, I just removed it with my fingers.  Its not a lock nut as I would have expected so just used some thread lock & put it back on as tight as I could which wasn't too tight because the shock strut just turns after a bit but I undid the other side whilst at it & that only required a quick ***** on the socket bar to get it loose.

You need to remove all the plastic bits at the bottom of the screen, then the metal tray underneath the plastic which is only a few 10mm bolts to get clear access to the top of the strut.

I thought that the ring the nut is sitting on in the photo was the dust cap but only when you get clear sight did I realise that there is a rubber cap in the middle so don't make that mistake as I did.  No damage done & rattling gone.

Thanks again Craig for the photo's they were a great help.

IMG_1422.jpg

Any tips on removing the plastic trim, I started by the strut which is straight forward, how far across the windscreen did you have to remove the trim? Any pictures would be good!

• 8 months later...

I had the same issue.  I used a box end 3/4" angled wrench. I didn't have to remove anything but the dust cap.😉 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Great post 👍🏼 I had same happen to me and nearly changed the full strut! Saved me some money... 

Thanks a lot for posting this. Many annoying miles of clunking has occurred. 

My top nut was very loose, I could take it off with my fingers.

• 1 year later...

Yes, same for me,lefthand strut top nut only finger tight, add a little picture and tighten up, quite as