Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Dashcam in hybrid

Chriss27

Hi has anyone had a Dashcam hardwired in a hybrid. Halfords not sure if they can do it (will let me know) due to issue with connecting to electrics but Toyota dealer state can do it but not sure of cost,whereas Halfords charge £30

Easy to do, 10 minute job; my hybrid has switchable accessory power available and has a convenient body ground point. 

Just have to be careful to avoid the pillar airbags and areas where they deploy when routing cable to the top of windscreen. 

If you have excess cable and want to avoid soldering or re-terminating it to length you can store it under the front door sil where there is a convent cable track which pops off and on easily (and has access to glovebox fuses).

Hi, I haven't done our new one yet, but the previous one was easy. I used a piggy back fuse holder (e-bay) from the fuse for the Aux socket. If you want it ON  when parked you'll have to find a hot live, or come straight off the Battery. The current draw is very small. Another supply I did use for our ex Honda Jazz was to use a 12v solar panel (which also trickle charged the battery).

Should tell you about Halford's technical competency in all this (absolute rubbish and incompetent).

Hard wire installation of a Dashcam in any hybrid vehicle is no different to fitting it in any other standard car. Typically, requires connection to a switched ignition fuse in the car's fuse box (or, in worst case scenario direct connection to the car's Battery - hybrid still have a standard 12 volt battery). 

I myself have a dash cam fitted, with parking mode and additional Battery packs for the camera parking mode, which I fitted myself in no time (hard wired directly to the fuse box). I've had this dash cam for almost 2 years now, working without any problems.

A good site for resource and information for dash cams and fitting it yourself is: Dash Cam Talk. Read the forums and guides on there. 

I fitted a Cellink Neo Battery pack to my Auris which saves draining the 12v Battery and prevents returning to the car with a flat Battery. I hardwired it to the heated seat fuse (15A) which only comes on with the ignition. The battery takes about 30mins to recharge and powers my Dashcam for around 28 hours when using just the one cam.

Same here, I have the older Cellink B batteries connected to a Thinkware F770 dual dash cams. Works very well both in driving and parking mode. Can't remember the fuse I attached it to, but it is simple with the dual fuse adaptor you get with the Cellink Battery pack (or buy separately).  

I personally wouldn't even touch the Halfords dash cams either (Nextbase). Far better dash cams available from other manufacturers / brands (cheaper too, if that is your requirement).

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links